Windows Movie Maker 2

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Windows Movie Maker 2

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, I just doenloaded Windows Movie Maker 2, and I'm impressed! How many of you use it?

At the end of the day we can't all afford (or have lack of morals to download) programs like Adobe Premier, so from what I've been playing around with, MM2 looks great!

There's a bunch of special effects you can add, and the transitions aren't bad either!

If you have Windows XP, I suggest you download it from Microsoft right away (After all, it's free), and check it out!

I've been playing around with it for a couple of days, and I'm hooked!

Some of the effects include: Slow-motion, Speeded Up Motion, Mirroring, aged film, artistic effects, fading, etc. Microsoft, I'm impressed, especially so for a freebie!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

I realy hate that program you import footage, it cut's it into scenes
can you imagine what happens to 45 minutes, quick cuts footage?!!
also, you have little control over the image and compressor
but for basic use... well...
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Well, I'm making a 5 min Valentine's Music Video, and there's a cut almost at the end of every line.

BTW, I noticed it cut a clip I was trying, but there's a join function where you can join them back together.

If this is supposed to suck, then I'm pleased that I'm in my little world of ignorance when it comes to the other editing packages! LOL!

Not forgetting that until now, I've been using a couple of video recorders to do cutting with!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Nothing wrong with grabbing scenes, I use scenalyzer quite often to grab just the scenes I want, easier on a short capture than doing a batch capture, tho batch on premier is nice is nice since it allows you to precut and log the scenes.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

I'm glad you have praise for it Cam. When i start shooting I will be using it to edit since it's free and I can't afford Adobe at the moment.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Might I recommend Avid Free DV rather than Movie Maker 2? You can get it at Avid's website below:

http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp

Mind you, I haven't tried out either of these, but had I been forced to choose, I'd go with Avid. But this is just me...
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

ararararararaghgghghghghghg! NO WMM2, BAD, cr**, STUPID, I HATE IT.............. It is very very unstable compared to all the other competing free editors like Imovie 3 etc. Now if you had have said IMovie 3, what a great program i would have agreed. But Movie Maker 2 is for very dodgy home videos only. It is terrible.....
AAAAAARRRGGHHH! Sorry. Hang tight well i compose myself........

Ok, I'm all good now.

AAAAARRRGGGHHH! No I'm not.......

Ok, lets try again. I wouldn't personally use WMM2 as it is not a very good editing system to use. Use Avid free DV, i haven't tried it yet, but will try it shortly, but it would have to be better then WMM2.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I haven't had any problems with MM2, but I'll check out the free alternatives.
Super Chicken

Post by Super Chicken »

i just downloaded it - ill see how it is
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'm getting really well with MM2, I've got 1 min 23 seconds of finished video. It's very stable, and apart from the brightness issue (Which I'm able to fix by adding "increase brightness" as an effect, I'm finding it very easy to use, and actually quite feature packed. One of the transitions is a newspaper spinning into view - You can actually edit the newspaper image to whatever you like in a bitmap editing program, as well as the instant headlines and feature photo that runs into the next Video frame.

Nope, I'm definetly impressed over this one. Download and try out is all I can suggest to everyone. This isn't the movie maker that comes with XP, but an updated more comprehensive version that you can download off Microsoft's website.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

I think Windows Movie Maker 2 is one of the best programs I ever used! :D I edited my first DV movie on it when it first came out. I think the effects are great, and I think its perfectly stable. I use it all the time now when I'm editing to capture with. I am editing all of my new Films in Vegas Video 4.0 tho, but I would have to say that MM2 is one of the greatest free programs. I have tried AVID Free DV and I did not like it at all, I didn't like the layout at all and the colors were terrible to look at for long periods of time, they just got annoying. Well thats just my 2 cents.
"Prolly Just Film"
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Vegas is great, anyone will tell you here that I'm their #1 advocate. But I will agree that I prefer other capture software. The one it comes with could use a little bit of redesign. Especially the print to tape part.

I just checked out WMM2 on my PC (I forgot it was even there), and it really is a pretty cool program. I would seriously consider using it for editing if I didn't already have software.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Don't forget folks, I'm referring to movie maker 2, not the original version that comes with WinXP. You have to download it from Microsoft as an upgrade. MM1 is quite basic, and MM2 is way more advanced.
Reiji

Post by Reiji »

My WMM2 copy came with my version of XP, as did Windows Media Player 9 Series -- I only got my PC in July last year, though.

WMM2 was what I used to create the GUTS Trailer that's in the Downloads section of MattHawkins.
[size=84][color=white][url=http://www.reijigames.tk]REIJIGAMES.TK[/url]
---
PLOT-DRIVEN STYLISH GAMES
REALTIME CG MOVIES[/color]

[color=blue]Intel Inside[/color]
[color=orange]Idiot Outside[/color][/size]