Cheap place to buy cameras

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

drakemsehawk

Cheap place to buy cameras

Post by drakemsehawk »

I'm looking for the cheapest place to buy a digital camera. I'm looking specifically at the Canon Gl2. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere, around me is selling it for $2,799 (american) is this a good deal, would i be getting ripped off?
anyone know any good online stores?
thanks
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com search for GL2 the click the "give me a better price" to order it for $2229. Or look at the new Sony VX2100 for 2399 at B&H. B&H is a very reliable on line retailer, check their ratings at http://www.resellerratings.com
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yeah bhphotovideo.com has good prices so look into that.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

All Canons are worth buying.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

might want to check ebay to. sometimes wholesalers will sell there and you can find a good price.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Famous wrote:All Canons are worth buying.
Nothing wrong with Cannon, but I put the GL-2 and Xony vx-2100 side by side, the Sony won... better low light shooting, more stable white balance, and the Focus/xoom rings were incredibly even. It was also 2399 at B&H, the price diff was only about $100, but I really feel the VX-2100 outperformed the GL-2. I'd like to think I was an impartial tester, I don't have any particular like or dislike for Sony, do Like Cannon, and actually prefer Panasonic for video cams, but no doubt the 2100 was a winner!
The UNDERGROUND
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

I have heard the GL2 is the best on the market nowadays.
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

im trying to find a place to get a gl2 also. so yeah, ebays good. just make sure you look over EVERYTHING very carefully
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Themovieman44 wrote:I have heard the GL2 is the best on the market nowadays.
Well, like I said, put the GL2 and theSOny vx2100 side by side, and bought the Sony. Better low light response, good solid image even with 18 db gain, the controls felt more natural. ALl in all I was just more impressed with the Sony. And this from a guy with long experience on Panny and JVC cams. Panny and JVC just didn't offer the features I was looking for in the price range. So like i said, I went into the comparison eyes wide open, and no preconceived brand loyalty, was able to shoot them both under similar conditions as far as available light etc, and the Sony definitely produced a cleaner image under the low light conditions. 18db gain and no strobing, with very little grain. One thing to keep in mind also, the VX2100 uses 1/3 inch CCD's, the GL2 uses 1/4 inch CCDs.
The interesting thing is the Canon, on the smaller chips has a higher pixel density, which is probably why the Sony has a sharper low light image, larger chips and larger pixels equate to beter light gathering capabilities.
Also, the SOny has a larger cleaner view finder, which means you don't need to use the LCD screen quite as much. Add in color bar generator, 70/100 zebra stripes, and two built in Neutral Density filter selections, andt overall found the VX2100 to outperform the GL-2 in the areas that were of concern to me.
The UNDERGROUND