Sniping someone

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Sniping someone

Post by 2nd_Recon »

In one of the films I'm thinking about doing, someone gets sniped by a high powered sniper rifle, and I want a shot showing the crosshairs lining up aganst the targets head. I have a way of doing this, I just need to know if it's the best way.

I would fire up Photoshop, and create the crosshairs with a green background, load it up to premiere, and use a combination of the movement feature and chroma-ing out the green to lay it into his head. Does anyone have any better ideas?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Not sure what NLE you're using but if it supports Photoshop transparency that would be a better way of doing it (just have the background transparent, rather than key it out).
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Shoot the source video from as far as possible, with your camera zoomed in as much as possible. Use a telephoto adapter if you've got it.
Use the camera like you would the sniper scope.

For the cross hairs, you may have a more realistic effect by having an image of white circle on a black background with the cross hairs through it. Blur this a bit too. Then you can apply this as either a multiply, or luma mask to the video. With these kinds of mask modes, the black area of the image darkens to black, while the white areas are transparent.

This should look more realistic than the green options, since you can have better control of the blurred scope edges and crosshairs.

Have fun.
Grant

Post by Grant »

2nd Recon i have done it just the way u explained in your first post and it was a very quick method and it looks good also :)
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

cool. Now I just need to convince the principal to let me get my fake guns inside. :twisted:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Or you could just stick the camera right in front of the sniper scope. Easy, simple, and works.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Hey 2nd _Recon, I did this effect in a short I'm doing. All I did was zoomed in with the camera and pretended that that the camera was the scope. Then in Paint (Windows Program) I made the crosshairs with the middle green. It turned out really good. I recommend you to try this method. Oh ya, I used Premiere Pro to edit. Good luck.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah it is an easy to do technique.
Austin

Post by Austin »

if you have an Lcd screen I would suggest putting an eraser board marker dot in the middle of your screen, so its easyer to keep your subject in the middle of your shot.
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

I was wanting to do that too ...thanks
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Grant

Post by Grant »

we are here to serve :)