Microphone Recording too good? Not good enough?

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Microphone Recording too good? Not good enough?

Post by insert_coin »

Hey Uhh i Just baught a 33-3030 OPTIMUS Omnidirectional Microphone and plugged it into my minidisc and did a test recording in my room and the sound is a little echoey, i baught this foam thing for the mic aswell to eliminate noise and wind type stuff... is it because of the microphone that the sound is echoey because it picks up too much sound like the sound echoing off my walls or do i need a better microphone than that? because it sounds like my room but i want it to sound like a proper recorded video and not like you were sitting there listening to it.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Why did you get an omnidirectional microphone then? You need a microphone like one they use for PA systems.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Omnidirectional means it will pick up sound sensitively in all directions. Bad coice for use in a room. Plus, if you are going to record in a room, hang up large wool blankets over each wall to cut down the echo. There are a lot more echoes in the room than you think because your ear naturally cuts them out. The foam cover only really works outside, and unless you absolutely need it, don't use it. It will only cut down on your sound clarity.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Where should an omni mic be used/
www.neverdead.co.nr
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

In general: Theater stage floors for singing numbers, office table meetings, wind ensembles... wherever you need pick-up from every direction. Absolutely horrible for use in filmmaking from my experience. Hollywood uses all highly directional mics, especially the shotgun style because it will eliminate most outside noises. That is why you never hear the film crew moving around and talking, which they quite often do during a shoot. Plus they dub most everything during post in a soundproof studio.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

I really need help with microphones and i really don't understand the guide on this website.
If anybody can simplize the guide here or give me and easyer one.
I want to make a small microphone.
Thanks
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

OK, there are three main types of microphone used for different purposes.

The first one, as mentioned here, in an omni-directional.
It picks up sound from every direction. This mic is often used for news reporters (apparently) :P

The 2nd one would be better. It's called a cardioid microphone, because of its vaguley heart-shaped sensitivity pattern.
It picks up sound from the front, great if you don't want to hear the crew. Most cardioid mics record in stereo.

And finally, the shotgun microphone.
This picks up sound directly from the front, often in mono format.

And heres one I've never seen before, it was just on the site I found, called a Parabolic Dish Pattern
This picks up sounds from very long distances in one direction. They're used in football games.

Riggzy
[url=http://www.loosestscrew.tk]Loosest Screw Productions[/url]
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

The shotgun mic is what the pro's use on their booms, and is also known as a condenser mic, It picks up equal sound sensitivity in all directions. A good place to look for mic because of their wide variety of mics for all purposes would be www.shure.com, they have condenser mics specially designed for indoors, however i think they may be expensive, but it is worth a look anyway.
Indoor TV mics,
http://www.shure.com/microphones/broadc ... efault.asp
Outdoor TV mics,
http://www.shure.com/microphones/broadc ... efault.asp
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Wrong! Shotgun mics are extremely directional. That is the reason they work so well for audio pickup while filming. The film crews are fairly noisy during shoots and you never hear them. Omni directional mics are the worst for usage in filming. Because you pick up much more than you want to. Would be horrible for news reporters, Riggzy. :wink: Omni directionals are more for meeting type pickup, where you cannot move the microphone but still need a large range of pickup.

Indoor mics are very sensitive to all frequencies, as used in studio work. They are usually called studio condensor mics. Outdoor are not so sensitive to certain freqencies so the sound is quite concentrated for a main voice, as like the location telecastor. Use a cardoid or a shotgun for outdoor usage.

Parabolic mics are rare and very expensive. Used in long range pickup, as in a football game like Riggzy said. They look like a portable satellite dish.