Old-Skool Style challenge!

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

There was a company I came across a few years back called the lime-light sign company. They made signs out of specially coloured plastics that glowed brightly under Ultra-Violet. Yes, it's that easy, all you need is a rod made from a similar UV reactive material, and switch on a UV floodlamp, and Bob's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt, and you have an instant glowing light-sabre! If you dirty up the lens, say with a smear of vaseline (Photographers always carry vaseline!), and film it in slightly subdued lighting, them thar lightsabres will really glow!

How about switching a light-sabre on? Simple, move the light up the rod to illuminate it, and it'll have a similar look to when they switch them on in Star Wars! You can get different colour reactive plastics for differently coloured sabres. Just pop your rod into the handle, and a few cuts later you're up there giving it what for with your light-sabre!
Before I discovered After Effects, I used broomsticks covered with 3M brand reflective tape. When the camera's light reflects on the tape, the tape glows just like a light saber. Also a small oval shape of this tape over an actor's eyelids looks like an evil sombie.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Don't you mean CSI?
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Epsilon wrote:Okay CamClub, try this: The hundreds of ships, tanks, balloons, and soldiers moving around Omaha Beach post d-day, as in Saving Private Ryan.
I was supposed to get back to you on this one, and completely forgot about this thread, so here goes....

Models!

That's right! That's what's been used in epic movies before! Good models and close camera-cuts!

You can make a model boat appear to be sailing on the sea simply by moving the camera around it. You'd also have a few full-scale replicas, for close-up camera work.

Matt used a toy tank in 1 of his films! Okay, it looked really bad (Sorry Matt), but had the model been a bit bigger with a better set, doifferent camera lenses, and some automation in the tank, it could have passed off for the real thing!

Soldiers aren't that difficult - Again, all you need is a load of extras - the uniforms don't have to be too detailed (Saving money), apart from the actors that get seen close enough to pick out details.

The thing here is that Hollywood often adopts full-scale props, then uses closer cuts on a sound-stage set. Casts of 1000's are not uncommon either! Computers are making this more seamless, and duplication is another strong attribute!

NEXT!
Moderating behind the bushes!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

CGI as things made in a modeler and animated
That cant be true becuase blue screen is using Cgi - Computer Generated Imagry technicly the computer isn't making it but your using the computer to put together and make the scene, i think cam club wants it all completely oldschool no computers invloved!
How about this camclub : Huge massive armies being trampled on by huge creatures, swooped up eaten and or thrown by flying creatures, and then everything and everyone falling to a huge pit of molten lava muahhahah lol i have a feeling your going to say models
Sigs suck a**.
Grant

Post by Grant »

lol i blew up a toy tank and soldiers in UDDS ARMAGEDDON :D
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Grant, I remember that! Twas comical too!

Camclub, how about a man jumping onto speeding bullet train?
Grant

Post by Grant »

just really jump onto a speeding train old school like James Bond used to be. The James Bond stunts were legendary until CGI came along
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I mean the trains going 250 kph a train impossible to jump onto without killing yourself.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Shooting a TV
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Shooting a TV?? Actually shoot it!

Or if not, and you have a TV to spare, take pff the back and fill it with firecrackers. Do your shooting shot then CUT to the TV blowing up with bullets :D
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

haha
how about cutting off somebodies head, and actually seeing it closeup, in shot so U see the head separate from the body
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Split screen effect with the same actor interacting with himself (Not that, get your minds out of the gutter) in the same shot. Like in The Nutty Proffesor, or Austin Powers. (No mirrors, they have to be in different clothing)
Last edited by UFProductions on Fri May 07, 2004 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

The old James Bond sequences were usually sped up

ps- this thread has been fun to read :)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

And it has been fun to ask questions! :)
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah buy PDJ they were real! Such stunts on skis, parachutes, car jumps, the whole works!!!!!
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Oh yeah- no doubt they were real...just done at 'safe speeds' then sped up to look more intense...
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

This stuff is kinda simple...

for the "bullet time" effect just watch "SNIPER with tom berenger"
They practically invented "following a bullet" shots.
They had an actual slug attached to a glass rod ( i think) and they just slid it across frame, then sped it up. For the times it turned out quite well.

for the head getting chopped off, ANIMATRONICS!!
See: "The Thing, day of the dead, kill bill"

oh and the rocket propelled camera...not quite a good idea.
BUT
in the most terrible movie I have ever seen "house of the dead"
they had a pretty nifty way of doing a "bullet time" effect

The actors stand on a circular stand that is about 2 ft. off the ground.
underneath the stand is an arm that comes out from below the stand, and is attached to the middle of the stand on an AXLe.

The camera is then attached to the arm and the camera is spun, with a motor, at over 100 mph.

It actually worked pretty well..

REnt the movie, dont watch the movie but watch the special effects part, just to see that.

THat movie is terrible though, if you can just find a way to get your hands on the movie without paying money to the s*** asses that made it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh CamClub, oh CamClub.

Oh where art thou CamClub?
Grant

Post by Grant »

and this was his idea
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

He has given up on his own challenge! :(
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Blowing up a planet? Camclub?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

2nd_Recon wrote:Blowing up a planet? Camclub?
Well I have a half old school idea, it involves blue screaning the stares, becuase I can't think of a good star idea.

You build the planet out of styrophome, or light wood, you fill the inside with the explosive, some dirt, and chunks of rock look alike, put it on a background matching stick then blow it up.
monkey

Post by monkey »

make an effect of a m1 garand rifle firing, in slow motion, the chamber opening and a shell flying out

MISTER HOT SHOT
monkey

Post by monkey »

without using a real rifle, or a blank firing one
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I don't know why you can't use a real one, but anyways, it would be quite easy to get (or build) a replica rifle, spring load the casings to eject, and simply have them released one at a time as the trigger is pulled. Then slow it down as normal. That is a fairly easy one.

You know, color screening is not at all limited to digital editing. They've been using the concept of screen masking for years before the first electronic camcorder was available.