Trailer for our latest project

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

boyplunder

Trailer for our latest project

Post by boyplunder »

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, but have read a fair few entries and like the feel of the community.

I thought I could share a current project that we have been working on to get a few comments and views. This is the trailer of our short film [20 minutes], that follows a man's journey back to the city about a year after a collapse of society through widespread terrorist action, civil unrest and biological attacks by an unknown group. This is no-budget film-making. Shot on HD cameras, we have built our own dollies and camera cranes when we needed them.

This is part of the World of Depleted franchise, a US project that will result in a main feature next year, and we were asked to develop something earlier in the year. You can learn more at http://worldofdepleted.com/

Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Trailer for our latest project

Post by Matt »

Hi boyplunder, welcome to the forum. It's a bit quiet at the moment but good quality posts are always welcome!

Your trailer looks great and its good to find out about the World of Depleted project. I'm a fan of the post-appocalyptic genre. Zombies are great but nice to see an alternative view on the end of civilisation!

For anyone else that is interested you can find out about the World of Depleted from http://worldofdepleted.com/.

Did you use After Effects for the smoking city shot? I'm just getting into After Effects so I suspect you used the motion tracking features to get the smoke to "stick" to the city?
boyplunder

Re: Trailer for our latest project

Post by boyplunder »

Yes, we have been using After Effects for pretty much all of the effects shots and editing in Premier. Tracking is a bit of an art, and although it does a reasonable job in automatic mode, the 'smoking city' shot ended up being manually tracked. The whole shot is about 15 seconds long, including a handheld move of about 40 feet. That's a lot of frames. For those new to the task, the wider the tracking points, the better the track. And be prepared for it to take hours, or even days!

I found that it's best to track position as well as rotation, even on a fixed tripod shot. There is always a bit of movement, however subtle it may be.