Directing or Acting?

Forum for the discussion of all aspects of directing and acting.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you prefer. Directing or Acting?

Directing
86%
Acting
14%

Total votes: 7

MattexFilms

Directing or Acting?

Post by MattexFilms »

What do you prefer. Directing or Acting? I would choose Directing because I like being behind the camera rather than infront of it.
Ok, who pulled the pin on this one...

www.freewebs.com/house-wars
www.youtube.com/mattexfilms2006
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Directing without a second thought. My acting is some of the worst stuff in the world. Though I do enjoy the ocational sunt person role, and I'm always the first person killed in my flicks, becuase if I'm not willing to get covered in red Kyro, then my unpaid actors arn't going to do it.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

This is a bit of a weird question really! Especially on a film making forum. It's a bit like saying "What's your favourite bit about gardening, mowing the lawn or building a shed?"

What I will say though, is that I wish I could act and I wish I enjoyed acting. It would be a lot easier and a great way to make a fast buck ;)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

It's difficult. I'm apparently a very good actor (I have the highest grade in the school) but my heart is behind the camera. I love acting but I don't trust anybody else to film something correctly :D So more often than not I'm behind the camera, although I will have a pretty substantial role in our next film.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Lately I've been handling both. I think it's important for every director to experience acting in some way, so you can understand the stress from the acting process and how to better help actors reach their best performances.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I prefer to direct, but I had to act in my latest production. It was a good experience, because I got to go through first hand of what it's like to act. It's one thing to tell your actor, "OK, you need to do this, and show this type of emotion", but it's an entirely different thing to actually experience it and step in their shoes. Every director should act, if at least for the reason to explain that they understand what it's like to act, which gives them the authority and experience to direct others.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

Perfectly comfortable in front or behind a camera. I spend more time behind it.
Low/No budget cinema that looks like a million Bucks!
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.yafiunderground.com
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

ALove wrote:I think it's important for every director to experience acting in some way
I agree. If you don't know how to act then you'll have a hard time directing your actors
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ornsack wrote:
ALove wrote:I think it's important for every director to experience acting in some way
I agree. If you don't know how to act then you'll have a hard time directing your actors
because and I think some people don't see this, that there is a differance between know how to act, and being able to act. Such as I understand the consepts and prinsapals of acting, but am a rubbish actor at best.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Ah yeah exactly, I'm good at bossing people in to acting certain ways that I couldn't do to save my life :D
MattexFilms

Post by MattexFilms »

ALove wrote: I think it's important for every director to experience acting in some way, so you can understand the stress from the acting process and how to better help actors reach their best performances.

I do that in most* of my films. Mostly because only two of us make them! I decide the shot we are gonna use then get infront of the camera. In my films we don't feel much stress because they are such low scale films and they last for about 3-4 minutes.

* I say most films not all because some of them are Lego. I like doing lego because I get some good effects in them. By the way, who here makes lego films?!
Last edited by MattexFilms on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammyJim

Post by SammyJim »

It's kind of strange. When I'm directing, I feel a bit uneasy, directing my friends about, but when I'm acting, it's a lot of fun because we're all in the same boat. I still love both, but I didn't vote.
MattexFilms

Post by MattexFilms »

SammyJim wrote: I still love both, but I didn't vote.
Sorry about that! I should have put Both on the poll. OOPS! My bad. :?