Pics from a 35mm adapter Brevis (BIG pic attachments)

Forum for the discussion of lighting and camera techniques.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Pics from a 35mm adapter Brevis (BIG pic attachments)

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hi there!

Righto well we got a Brevis 35 with a Nikon mount and we were experimenting with it in the courtyard of our office building with a Nikon Zoom lens (taking pics at a different range of focal lengths approx 28mm to 80mm) - I didn't note the exact lengths.

Anyway (garry you've used them a bit now haven't you) i'm going to post some pics anyway of us testing specific lenses and talking more about the adapter on this thread.

My colleague Gavin is the cinematographer haha, but i'm spending lots of time learning it so i'll post my progress here as i think my little journey with it might be interesting for other guys wanting to experiment with these adapters.

These pics are big attachments i'll warn you now !

These were taken in 1080p but compressed obviously for the web :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Pics from a 35mm adapter Brevis (BIG pic attachments)

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Pics from a 35mm adapter Brevis (BIG pic attachments)

Post by Zacatac927 »

finally, someone uses a 35mm adapter...

it looks good, shooting with the HVX?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yup the HVX, shooting in 1080p, i will be posting pics of the adapter, setting it up, and with which lenses, and other stuff as i know a lot of you will be into these adapters - hell its why i got one.

So hopefully the fact that im new to them and am learning i can share all that info so you can all see how easy they are to use (and how difficult they are to master)
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

Nice. I am planning on buying a Letus35a and have researched these for the past few months. I built one of my own and it worked, but i will prefer buying one, the quality will be much better. The quality of the brevis is very nice and the bokeh is spot on. It also doesn't diffuse the image too much like i have noticed with other adapters.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Looks sweet. Is it just me, or is it a little soft? (Try double checking the focus on the HVX with a Maglight before putting the Brevis on just to make sure)
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yeah i think they are a tiny bit soft - i mean of the shots i took (we all took turns) but these were just focussed in the camera viewer (i think most dudes use a laptop) with monitoring software - but a great many rather insanely use the wee viewer - mainly with its Zoom button (it zooms a center square on the screen.)

Some of ths shots were sharper than these pics so yep these are prob just 80 - 90% in focus.

Its funny but it becomes so much more relative (the focus plane) when you use these adapters.

Incidentally for creative cinematography id definatley put getting an adatper ahead of getting an HD camera - (if you want to explore cinematography that is)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Oh, most definitely. But, if you have the chance of getting both. Haha.
@seanbagley
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

yeh but bear in mind, using a HD cam, the 35mm adapter has to be exceptional because with HD, you wil notice all the slight imperfections a lot more ie. Grain, diffusion as opposed to a 1 chip cam.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

yep true true however any of the Brevis, Lexus or RedRock adapters - oh and SG Pro will do a fine job!

The question of HD and adapter quality is more relative towards homemade adatpers :)
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Do you get a lot of light loss / image quality loss when you use those?

Looks good, Lawrie. The HVX is sweet.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well you get about probably a stop less with the brevis but it also depends on how fast the SLR lenses are as well. As each SLR lens has a fixed maximum F stop (in terms of how far the iris can be opened) - meaning the lowest F stop number on the lens hehe.

So for example i have 3 lenses now, a Nikon 28mm wide lens at 3.4F, a 50mm lens at 1.8F and a Telephoto Zoom lens 80 -200mm at F4. Incidentally the higher the F number the slower the lens, the less light that gets through. N.B. the higher the focal length the narrower the DoF (with 50mm being most akin to the human eye hehe.)

Here is a wide shot without any lens (just the stock hvx lens on wide) note that you MUST actually use a 28mm or shorter SLR lens with the adapter if you want to be able to shoot a wide shot - since you have to zoom in (with the camcorder lens) to fill the camcorder lens with what the SLR lens can see through the adapter. (it appears like a wee rectangle so you have to zoom in to fill it) meaning that you ok im rambling now!