Does your parents...

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

My mum and nan are skeptical....and even now that I'm working on some big movies and am friends and collegues with some big names, they still seem to think its all a big game. My dad is very supportive and he takes it all seriously. Hes actually playing one of the supporting roles in Hellbilly, He's been there since day one.

Russ
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

wait hellbily 58?
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

yes
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

my neighbour and her friends set up my fan club and now my vidoes are on youtube my sis had to ask for one of my film to be taken down because so many randoms had seen it and told her about it. (she has shame?)
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

My parents are way supportive. I used to skateboard all the time and was a naive little puke that just wanted to be a pro skateboarder which is almost no income whatsoever. Anyway, I find my parents are typically telling people about my films and showing my films to their co-workers and whatnot.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

angusware wrote:my neighbour and her friends set up my fan club and now my vidoes are on youtube my sis had to ask for one of my film to be taken down because so many randoms had seen it and told her about it. (she has shame?)
Did you take it down?
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

Theshapecool wrote:yes
WOW I have been supporting your movie for awhile, since i just liked it.I never knew ive been talking to the director for awhile lol.Im a fx artist and Im trying to learn just about every position in movie making, So if you ever want to talk Im me on aim, its fxkendall. this goes for anyother person in film making.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
Firewood_Productions

Post by Firewood_Productions »

A Few years ago, I showcased the first film that I ever made to my entire family. It was a spoof of Austin Powers, lol. It made them laugh so much that I had to keep showing it on TV everytime they came round our house.

Then one day my dad took me aside, and said how Proud he was of me. I could of burst into tears there and then, but luckily I didnt.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

youngfilmmaker wrote:
angusware wrote:my neighbour and her friends set up my fan club and now my vidoes are on youtube my sis had to ask for one of my film to be taken down because so many randoms had seen it and told her about it. (she has shame?)
Did you take it down?
I made it private, not really sure what that does but you can't see it anymore unless I "Invite you"....
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I would just keep it up. =].

AnotherQuestion: If you use siblings as actors, do they wish not to put the video online or put their names?

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Nelsito

Post by Nelsito »

Well, I'm only 14 so I have nothing better to do. My parents are probably just happy I'm not out getting high or something and putting free time to some use.
Vicens Studios
<a>Watch my Movies!</a>
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

lol nelsito

-Michael Moore
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

My parents are supportive to an extent...they don't want me to go to film school or want to become a director and then fail miserably at it lol. I do want to be a director or editor or writter (although writter is the hardest haha). They just don't want me to get disapointed. I do still make films though (when I can and with what set I have). If you have a talent for it man, go for it. As Jack Sparrow said: "Take all that you can and give nothing back"
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Interesting quote UnkindSky.

-Michael Moore
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I'm right with you UnkindSky.

My parents support what I'm doing but don't want me to do this as a major - I need to have something to fall back on.

So I'll do something with computers, and learn video at a college as a minor, in case the opportunity arises I'll take it.

But they've heard too many horror stories to allow me to go to a film school. One of my mom's friend's sons spent hundreds of thousands at film school (Full Sail I think) and got his director's degree. Now he makes maybe $25,000 a year as a bartender, because there was no way for him to break into the business.

Another story: a friend of my mom knows a family that supported their son with film. It was his dream to go to film school. They took out a 2nd mortgage or something on their house to get the money for him. He lost interest in it and all the money was wasted on nothing. The family is now broke, and lost their house.

So make sure that you can get in for sure, or have a very good job to fall back on.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

youngfilmmaker wrote:Interesting quote UnkindSky.
Lol, what I ment is if you want to do be in the buisness (which I'm not...just from what I've heard) you have to take every chance you get. But be careful when it comes to film school...there are a lot of directors who didn't go to film school and are doing very well (Kevin Smith for example).
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Does your parents...

Post by Raptor »

Well first to answer the basic question... I'm 50 so what does it matter LOL...
I will say my soon-2-b-x wife didn't tho :)
foxwood wrote:When it comes to getting a job as a film editer for a bit of filler you might want to look into working in the news industry. Thats what I am doing right now, and its part time and I make about $15,000 a year for it, though its part time work and cr** hours 3-7am. But hey I go to work and edit, its not creative to offten but its a start and you can use the skills.
Foxwood - Make it creative! If your shooters are getting you some good shots, use them, good use of cutaways, racks etc can turn a 20-30 sec VO into a decent piece. I'm pretty sure I know the market you're working in, and if the shooters aren't getting you something that counts as a little creative( even in framing and use of foregrounds ) then it's probably time to talk to the chief :) Granted it can be tough to get creative shots sometimes on spot news but it can be done, even if it is a close up quartering shot of the FD engine's door with another unit behind, a low angle shot... soething that's not shoulder height LOL.
Another consideration in is shooting as a stringer for some of the local stations. In some markets you can make a pretty decent living chasing news, in others, like the one I shoot in ( mid 90's) you can make some decent extra jingle for an hour or two worth of work LOL.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
MattexFilms

Post by MattexFilms »

Yup they do! They had to sacrifice the computer so I could fill it up with all my film making stuff like Fx's music and so on. Lol
Ok, who pulled the pin on this one...

www.freewebs.com/house-wars
www.youtube.com/mattexfilms2006
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Reading Peter Jacksons biography at the moment

His parents went as far as to build him a workshop :o
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Does your parents...

Post by foxwood »

Raptor wrote:
Foxwood - Make it creative! If your shooters are getting you some good shots, use them, good use of cutaways, racks etc can turn a 20-30 sec VO into a decent piece. I'm pretty sure I know the market you're working in, and if the shooters aren't getting you something that counts as a little creative( even in framing and use of foregrounds ) then it's probably time to talk to the chief :) Granted it can be tough to get creative shots sometimes on spot news but it can be done, even if it is a close up quartering shot of the FD engine's door with another unit behind, a low angle shot... soething that's not shoulder height LOL.
Another consideration in is shooting as a stringer for some of the local stations. In some markets you can make a pretty decent living chasing news, in others, like the one I shoot in ( mid 90's) you can make some decent extra jingle for an hour or two worth of work LOL.
When I get the chance to actualy edit the raw footage you can bet that I try and make it the best I can. though at the station I'm at the photogs tend to edit what they shoot and we the "editers" tend to work with cutting down packages etc, which in and of its self takes skill it just doesn't feel creative. But if you can get up there your right it can be just as creative and fun as fiction filmmaking.