Anticipation (60 sec trailer competition)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Moriarty

Anticipation (60 sec trailer competition)

Post by Moriarty »

Hi Guys,

I've recently finished this sixty second film trailer competition for Canon - where first prize is a spiffy new camera with all the bells and whistles. Basically, the competition in this: create a 60 second film trailer about a ficticious film entitled Anticipation. As you can imagine, the theme has to centre around any kind of anticipating feeelings, but you can take the central theme and stretch it however you like.

I did two versions, one was a kind of comical jokey one - about a guy that needs to go the toilet urgently but things keep on getting in his way. I don't know if there would ever be a feature film regarding this, but we had fun on the day and I tried to catch a sense of impending doom with the guy's bowels.

You can watch our entry here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5BM-ohrOxE

We kind of figured that everyone would be going for the haunted house or thriller type of trailers, so we kind of wanted to go in a different direction and appeal to the judge's humour veins. I guess we'll see what happens.

The second 60 second trailer is *really* a trailer for my short film, "The Vault." I was meaning to do a trailer for this one anyway to send off as part of the press pack for a short film competition at the BFI, but as I was doing this it occured to me that I could perhaps try to kill two birds with one stone and also put this up in the Anticipation 60 second trailer competiton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5Wp04n4FM

Bonus points for anyone who can name the film segments incorporated with the last trailer...

Anyhoo, criticisms and remarks are always welcome - hope you enjoy!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It was pretty ggood, but the sparked bullet hits on the tree weren't.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

I didn't think they were that bad, but a bit more time with the colour correction palette and a few scarred holes on the tree where the bullets 'should have' went in could have been placed in there - the first trailer is meant to be a bit goofy though so I don't think it distracts from the main action of what's going on. Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I could tell it wasn't serious, from what I could see (youtube degraded the quality) the tree had sparks coming off of it which isn't real.
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

"Bonus points for anyone who can name the film segments incorporated with the last trailer..."
Is it from the Omega Man?
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i think you had a good idea, with a title like anticipation i think i could do better,

also try to be original and stop using guns, admittidly everyone of my films has contained guns so far becausse its fun that why but its just a thought for you

i think you miss understood what anticipation meant, or by you film, the message isn't antciptation

<b>anticipate</b>- to expect and event to happen and to be ready for it

i hated the damm sparks, wood splinters, could have been done without stock footage

but otherwise a good effort
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Well, you 2nd trailer must have worked because I'm watching "The Vault" right now. The 1st trailer just made me wanna go to the bathroom and the noise his gut makes made me thirsty.

I liked your second trailer the most, it was cut well and had great intensity.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Ctbullet - The anticipation that we held as the theme of the piece was for the main protagonist needing to go to the bathroom - 'the event to happen' was for his bowels to explode unless he got to the toilet quickly. :0)

I understand that the spark effects coming off from the trees do not look real. I appreciate the feedback and letting me know what the errors were (i.e. should have been pieces of splinter instead fos sparks etc) and Dedfx hit the nail on the head by saying that it was meant to be a bit farfetched from reality.

The competition said to use Anticipation as a theme - I can only assume that the majority of short films the judges will be receiving are going to be really intense 'haunted house' or thriller sort of pieces, so we thought we'd try and go off on a different tangent and see what happened. Originally the idea was going to have the main character poisoned but once again, it all seemed a bit too serious and we wanted to do something light hearted.

The tramp and the ninja were added in to make the whole thing even more unbelievable; as I said before, the trailer doesn't really take the standard structure of a typical trailer, but feels more at home with one of those 70's C-Movie trailers that explains the whole film rather then leave the audience with segments.

As Kentertainment as kindly pointed out, I have actually done a more 'serious' anticipation trailer for the competition, which has more intensity to it and in my opinion is the better trailer for it.

But thanks again for the info, it all makes for better future projects!