Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by maj_barnes »

Newest movie s***.

DOT was about to knock down a fully funished house somewhere beyond my backyard, so I wrote up a script and dragged a bunch of people out there to film it: it took three nights, and the last night of filming we came back to see half of the house was knocked down. Lighting was just three flashlights with masking tape over them to knock out those gay rings. What was surprising, is how dark the source footage was compared to the final output. We have no audio equipment, sorry for the bad audio. The final product will have royality free, and licensed music. Anyways, enjoy and comment this trailer.

Backup Link
http://michaelb.blip.tv/file/197788/
Last edited by maj_barnes on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by Zacatac927 »

I like it, for three flashlights its lite very well.. I like your shot compostion too, the only shot i think could have been better was like second 42-44? and the girl could have been placed a bit farther out, theres a bit of white empty space there...

And yeah the audio. thats the only problem i found...

What were you shooting on and did you use a wide lense for some of the shots?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

What did I miss? When did you cross the line into making potentially talented films? Nice work, dude.
@seanbagley
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

You're trailer has sparked some interest in me so I suppose it is working. The film looks good, I'll definitely watch it when you post it online. It's got this sort of nightly underground business feel to it...which I know is what you're aiming for because I am aware you are heavily influence by Michael Mann which leads me to next say that the music is from The Insider which is a good soundtrack. I used some of the music from that for Code of Dissolution. Anyway, How long is it going to be?
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

Music was kind of jumpy.... (?)
Frijid

Post by Frijid »

That glow looks horrible. You've totally over done it, and the really bad audio doesn't help compensate for it, in fact it only makes it worse, cos you obviously gone for this visually appealing way of shooting, but the bad audio cancels it out and gives a really amataur effort trying to hard to look good, whihc in respect is what it actually is.

The trailer didn't personally appeal to me and there was nothing about it to makes you interested in the story or the kind of film you were making.

I haven't seen it all, but the worse apart about it is that, you've simply jumped in on a chance to make a movie because you had tha chance to film the demolishingof a house. You haven't wrote something or attempted to film something true to you, your just trying to hog on some eye candy to attract people like the idea of a house being demolished to make an interesting film, which yet again only enphasis my point that your trying to create a proffesional looking film ina a complete amatuar way, and it shows.

Although Gyro is yet to produce a film I haven't fell asleep too due to his sloppy visuals and reliance upoun the great scenery of Utah. He does show a good point meaning there is a line to making good films. and mate, you haven't crossed it yet. And it seems unfair for me to say all this because I haven't seen the final film, but if this is what I take on just from you're Teaser trailer, it hardly gives a good insight to the final piece.

Good Luck though.
Diaper is always full of shitt.

;) No pun intended.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by Kentertainment »

Frijid wrote:you've simply jumped in on a chance to make a movie because you had tha chance to film the demolishingof a house. You haven't wrote something or attempted to film something true to you, your just trying to hog on some eye candy to attract people like the idea of a house being demolished to make an interesting film
My intentions aren't to argue with you but, I have to say a few things on this comment.

I've heard stated from industry standard directors (Robert Rodriguez to name one) that the best thing for amateur and Independent filmmakers to take into consideration when writing a film is the resources they already have.

In fact, here is a passage from Robert Rodriguez 10 minute film school.

How do you make a cheap movie? - Look around you, what do you have around you? Take stock in what you have. Your father owns a liquor store - make a movie about a liquor store. Do you have a dog? Make a movie about your dog. Your mom works in a nursing home, make a movie about a nursing home.

Lastly, I like how you assume he didn't write anything when in his first post he clearly states he wrote a script.

...I'm aware I stated in a previous thread that I am not much a fan on some of Rodriguez's works, so nobody try to incorporate that into this.
Frijid

RE: Re: RE: Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by Frijid »

So just cause Robert Say so, that's how it works ? Maj Barnes is making a good film because he's done what Robert says ?

He only produced that documentry because he made a movie like that and got somewhere with it by luck. Doesn't mean it's the bible.

I'm not against using your own easy resources to your advantage when making a film. But atleast write your film within these resources and not just for the sake of it. Your points Kentertainment do not even justify what my overall point was when stating that opinion in my previous post.

Now excuse me why I go make an unfunny movie about renting from a Library because I live near one. ;)

;) No pun intended.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Hey, he saw an opportunity to make a film because of interesting unforeseen events and took advantage of that. In all likeliness, if there was going to be a house destroyed, and if I could use it in the film, I would do it. How many films have you seen on MattHawkins that incorporate demolition that actually happens? This is a great event to use, and should be taken advantage of for sure.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Niiiiiiiiiice. I wanna see the film. Good editing as well and nice shots. Sounds like good acting and (is this possible on Matt's?) a good script...:D
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I scaned through it, the bad audio took me out of the moment so I just looked at the pictures, which looked nice for only three flash lights.

and when your in the phase of hobbyist movie making, using any location that you have is not being untrue to yourself its being smart. Using locations actors props etc that you have redaly avalable will alow you to acautly produce something insted of just writing a bunch of scripts that you can't make.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by Kentertainment »

Frijid wrote:So just cause Robert Say so, that's how it works ? Maj Barnes is making a good film because he's done what Robert says ?
No, that's not how it works. He's likely not making it because Robert said so, I was just using Rodriguez's statements to show that there are some directors who think it's wise to use what resources you have.
Frijid wrote:Your points Kentertainment do not even justify what my overall point was when stating that opinion in my previous post.
That's because I was never saying anything about your point on writing something true to your heart. I was just saying that using resources you have in your movie can be a good thing.
Frijid wrote:Now excuse me why I go make an unfunny movie about renting from a Library because I live near one. ;)
You are excused, but I already made a movie like that. You're entitled to your own opinion about what you think of my films...just don't ever virtually wink at me.
Frijid

Post by Frijid »

:wink:

;) No pun intended.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Thanks for the comments, shot on a cheap Canon Optura 50, no lenses. The initial idea was a short story I did back in 10th grade, then I just pulled it into a smaller scale about a week in advance. We never saw/filmed the house actually demolished, it was just half gone on the last day of filming, bringing up some problems since some of the previous locations were laying under a destroyed roof. Yea, The Insider: once we were done filming, I had it on a continuous loop, so the song really stuck on me. The movie is looking to be from 6min to 10min, not sure: I've been slowly editing it, and have been just slicing away excess talk. Good acting? Youtube somehow F'ed up the audio on the song: it goes to a real low quality and back up for some reason.Only one of them is a good actor, the other is semi good, the other is friggin' Keanu Reeves. The glow? Meh, it was the only way to make the source footage bright enough, plus I think it looks pretty sexy.

(Frijid? Who is this: Freed's cousin or something?)
Last edited by maj_barnes on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Frijid wrote::wink:
I forgive you.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

wow... maj_barnes, i would jump at the chance to write something fast to film a house being demolished
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

wow i liked that, evne though you used 3 flash lights it gave a real nice effect to the film and the acting even though the audio was bad was really good. i like how you jumped on the chance to use a house that wil be demolished soon. Make sure to post the final version i want to see the full movie.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Time is Luck Teaser Trailer

Post by Gyro »

Frijid wrote:Gyro is yet to produce a film I haven't fell asleep..
And you've yet to produce a film.
@seanbagley
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

[quote="maj_barnes"

(Frijid? Who is this: Freed's cousin or something?)[/quote]

i wasn't gonna say it first!
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

Kentertainment wrote:
Frijid wrote:Now excuse me why I go make an unfunny movie about renting from a Library because I live near one. ;)
You are excused, but I already made a movie like that. You're entitled to your own opinion about what you think of my films...just don't ever virtually wink at me.
shut down!

and i think it is awesome (the film). frijid if we didn't use the resources around us we would never get any ideas, ideas don't just materialise fully formed, they are sahped by our past experiences and stuff, so everythiung you write for your heartfelt and worthwhile films is just using a resource for the sake of it too. The resource here being life.