Wire Removal?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MFM

Wire Removal?

Post by MFM »

What software do u guys use to remove stunt wire in a fight/action sequence?

Any cheap, easy to use software out there?
Firestorm

RE: Wire Removal?

Post by Firestorm »

I think even large budget movies do it frame by frame (export to Photoshop filmstrip, go from there).
thecrowdravin

Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by thecrowdravin »

Firestorm wrote: export to Photoshop filmstrip, go from there.
Hay man how do you esport the frames and what is film strip.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by UFProductions »

In Adobe Premiere there is an option to export to "filmstrip" file format (.flm) which, when opened in Photoshop, appears as every single frame of video separately edit-able. I belive those are the only two programs that will deal with .flm files.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
MasterMike

Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by MasterMike »

Firestorm wrote:I think even large budget movies do it frame by frame (export to Photoshop filmstrip, go from there).
Then you need to research a little better. Certainly not done with a Photoshop film strip. After Effects and Shake both have roto-paint options which can be animated and matchmoved with tracking data to remove things such as wires, and other object for that matter.

An alternative method is to mask out the wires with a background plate and animated mask. You could download a 30-day trial of After Effects to do your wire removal.
[url=http://www.secret7000.co.uk]Join The Secret 7000[/url]
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

In case u didnt notice.. not everyone has or likes after effects or shake.... thats why they use them. Besides its more kickass with them.
Hide or fight for your life?
MasterMike

Post by MasterMike »

It may be too early for me on a Monday morning ... but that last post by rhys doesn't make sense to me. This thread is about ways in which guide wires are removed in post, can you explain your meaning a bit more clearly?

EDIT: It being much later and me much more lucid now, I'm almost certain that rhys didn't read the thread properly, and assumed I was suggesting compositing software as a replacement for guide wires. Absolutely not - as I stated earlier, the purpose of this thread is to discuss wire removal, not replacement. Of course wires should be used.
[url=http://www.secret7000.co.uk]Join The Secret 7000[/url]
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

I got a good tip. How about the person that is doing the stunt not be a wus and dont use any wires i dont. It makes the movie look better and the person that did the stunts can say that he did them without wires.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by Zacatac927 »

tecmeister wrote:I got a good tip. How about the person that is doing the stunt not be a wus and dont use any wires i dont. It makes the movie look better and the person that did the stunts can say that he did them without wires.
ok, i don't see you point... if im 300ft in the air, im not doing anything with out wires, like how are you being held there?, and secondly... WHAT?

at the funeral you can stand up and say "well the reason we didn't use wires is so he could brag about not using any wires"

Lawsuits...
Knightly

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by Knightly »

Shake, After Effects and Combustion are the big guys on the block. Filmgimp/cinepaint are the free versions...unix/mac only I think on those, not sure about windows.

The technique is to paint over the wire in the frame with the same portion from an adjacent frame which doesn't contain the wire (or a clean plate if you've had the foresight to shoot one).

Most editing apps will allow you to export an image sequence which most of these apps will recognize (just a huge batch of individual images, one for each frame).
Low/No budget cinema that looks like a million Bucks!
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.yafiunderground.com
ThirddOracle

Post by ThirddOracle »

Boris Continnum Complete has a "Wire Removal"-plugin to be used in After Effects.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ-AwmVd5IY]Basement Suicide[/url] - A scene where i blow my head off! :)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I just require my actors to acutaly fly just to save post time.
Ornsack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Wire Removal?

Post by Ornsack »

Zacatac927 wrote:
tecmeister wrote:I got a good tip. How about the person that is doing the stunt not be a wus and dont use any wires i dont. It makes the movie look better and the person that did the stunts can say that he did them without wires.
ok, i don't see you point...
Don't worry, it's just tecmeister trying to sound 'cool'. He and Rhys have completely missed the point of this thread!

Remember guys, this is a film making forum, not a "i kan do fiteing and stuntz liek jackass lol" forum

Back on topic, I've done wire removal with a filmstrip in Photoshop and the results were a bit ropey. Looks perfect in still form, but a bit wobbly on playback.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]