"Five Cents" Watch It Now

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Loved it!
Good 'ol Utah acting.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

tallman_house_pictures wrote:Loved it!
Good 'ol Utah acting.
erm...what? How is acting defined by location?
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Lawriejaffa wrote:mediocre (but acceptable) sound
I’d settle with mediocre, than poor sound.
Lawriejaffa wrote:The acting was (great for the repair man)
He has been involved in numerous plays throughout his life.
Lawriejaffa wrote:By having your character angry and dumping his girl, makes him both unsympathetic to the audience and has him in control of a situation which is really (or seems like it to any ordinary audience) far more relevant than a library fee.
That is exactly what I was going for, blowing a five cent library fee way out of proportion. It shows that this character just doesn’t want to pay it and he is willing to do something completely farce, hence the comical aspects of the film. At least to some.
Lawriejaffa wrote:he music choice i think is pretty terrible, its like a drunk teenagers twiddling on his friends guitar (okay joking aside.) The music can be used to build the suspense of the deadline more. I think this is required, as your story is not subtle enough to get away with the ol' offbeat indy comedy (with offbeat silly music.)
I completely agree with you, we only had such a little amount of time to write music for this and we aren’t necessarily film composers. We’re also in high school, so hiring one is harder to do. I do think though I should be awarded some merit for actually creating my own music. I honestly have more fun making a film when I am pouring originality in it. Commercial music is easier to use, but it doesn’t prepare you for the future.

Although this new dark comedy I’m about to start writing, we will be doing original music as well. We’re actually going to start writing it as soon as the script is done as opposed to after the first cut of the film is completed.
Lawriejaffa wrote:the film uses ADR i think anyway?
No dice. We considered at one point.
Lawriejaffa wrote:I think most audiences would find this film fairly forgettable, it takes an old joke and delivers it quite weakly BUT it is a competent film and i think its indicative of the fact that you are becoming more ninja-like in ur filmmaking.
We're bound to make a poor film at some point. Although, I’m not quite sure what you mean by “ninja-likeâ€
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

He means you twirl more bamboo between takes, and we can see your reflection of you doing this in the main characters breastplate in scene 12 (the one where he battles the dragon with only a toothpick)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

That is exactly what I was going for, blowing a five cent library fee way out of proportion. It shows that this character just doesn’t want to pay it and he is willing to do something completely farce, hence the comical aspects of the film. At least to some.
You got this all the wrong way around buddy (at least from my comment!) My point is that because your character goes nuts MORE about his girl than the 5 cents, and because he is in CONTROL over his relationship which is effecting him and is thus MORE important than the 5 cents, means that the audience cares far less if he makes it back to the library because you have misplaced all the drama and energy with that scene.

What that scene probably should do is ADD to the challence the character faces in trying to get the cd back to the library - not misplace it or confuse it. This is what it does, and it actually weakens the main story.

These are the kind of things lots of filmmakers ignore (psychological emphasis in a story) but in this 1 joke gag film, if you lose your eye on the ball it can fall apart i reckon.

//

Yeah i comment you on attempting to make decent music for your film, but its style is inappropriate and distracting i think for what you want to achieve.
Sadly its the life of an artist that we don't get commended by the difficulty of our work but by the effectiveness it has.

//

ninja-like hehe is just a silly complement of mine. Don't be blaze however in saying your bound to make poor films at some point. It's not a poor film, its alright (but with that scene fixed could be quite good (but will always be fairly amusing and forgettable). But this is compared to what id consider as a professional standard (i.e. what lol u see in tv) so i think your doing really well.

You and your friend Gyro are dedicated young indy filmmakers that are honing their craft and are really improving. I'm going to sound like an a** now though and say that the artistic quality of the ideas and writing behind your work really needs the most time invested in it now. Cos with ur technical competence u could create something really far out if u had a less pop cultural kind of script, something more edgy!
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

I have to agree with Lawriejaffa, but that doesn't mean this wasn't enjoyable!
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Absolutely! It was definately enjoyable :)
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Cos with ur technical competence u could create something really far out if u had a less pop cultural kind of script, something more edgy!
Funny you say that, a friend and I are working on a sort of dark comedic film poking its fun at teenage depression and the human psyche involved in attempting to help. We are working on giving it a witty sense of humor. Just because teen depression is more common these days you could say it has a pop culture idea, but it'll be different from what I normally do.

Anyway, I guess this is a sort of 'bump' of the thread. I'm sure there are more of you who have at least the tiniest thing to say about the film.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

This was an enjoyable film overall. I liked the flat look...it really added to the 'dullness' of the afternoon.

The dolly shots were very creative, but were a little shaky.
The sound design was superb...nothing else to say about that. Dialogue was easily understood. However, the first scene could have used some sound effects, such as when the reciept falls on the ground. Or even when he shuts of his radio, a 'click' would have been nice.

Music: I do realize that you added the drum loop in later, but the guitar track and drum track were way out of sync...and it was a little hard to listen to, at least for me. I would have gone with a soundtrack that had more percussion.

Great job.
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

entertaining! well made thanks!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I finally got around to watching this. I really enjoyed it: the shots were great, amazing use of depth of field, and great dolly shots (although at times a tad shaky). Acting, great. Sounds, were great (the car door seemed horribly loud to me). Music did seem amatuerish, but fit very well.