New Short Film - "Sanctuary"

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SE7

New Short Film - "Sanctuary"

Post by SE7 »

Hey guys... I have recently made a new short film! It is a drama about a young teenager who has recently lost his brother, and is struggling with life. Through these difficult times, he turns to his 'Sanctuary', his piano.

Please check it out! I spent a few weeks trying to get the right look for the film, and I finally did it... it is an interesting color correcting that fits well with the story...

Sorry for the bad quality, I had to really compress the footage for YouTube.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-Z2qNm5_w

Thanks, SE7
SE7

RE: New Short Film - "Sanctuary"

Post by SE7 »

Sorry for double posting, but did anyone check it out yet?
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I liked it. The cinematography is definetly the strong point here and there were some shots I can mark as beatiful, notably the sun shots. Color correction greatly enhanced it as well, I found the glow effect to gave it a rekindling of the character (I suppose). The thing that bothered me though was the not so steady handheld shots. A drama-esque type film will generally have smooth shots to it, I kind of got this feeling that you may have rushed some of it (likely to race daylight). I did like how you put a feathered circular border on it as well.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thanks man.. I really worked hard on this film, and wanted to make it as good as I could. Thanks for the comment on the cinematography, I wanted to put a lot of work into that. Yeah, some of those shots were really shaky, but it wasn't really a race against daylight, but I couldn't get some of those shots smooth... the last shot where the camera dollies back was extremely difficult because there was a sofa right behind me, and I had to try to move around that. But, the shot were the boy turns around to pick up the picture of his brother was supposed to be really shaky... Some of the shots in this film were meant to have a shaky feel to it, but other shots were mistakes that they were shaky.

For the color correcting, we added the vignette (feathered circular border) and the glow in After Effects 7, then we took it into Premiere Pro and gave it more contrast, then lowered the saturation a lot. We then changed the hue to make it a little more greenish/ brownish...

I will post some before and after shots of the color correcting soon...

Thanks again for watching it!
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

I liked it, but it was a little boring. and the camera angles were great but not steady enough. other than that I loved the color correction and general look of the film.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

very nice. I enjoyed it and the music was great. The look of the film was nice, quite cold and desaturated with some glow, but in memories/flashbacks, it had a nice warm tone. Good job and good acting. I can see a few faults with editing but overall it was good.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thanks for the comments guys...

-Theshapecool-

What in particular did you find boring about it? It was a drama, and I needed to show the emotions. If I cut it down any shorter, I don't think the story would've worked as well... Did you understand the meaning of the story?

-Magic-Man-

Thanks alot.. Thomas Newman is a great composer and I thought it would work well with the story. And thanks for the comment on the color correcting... that took me a long time to finally find the look of the film... (about 12 days for editing - mainly color correcting). So thanks for your kindness. Oh, what faults did you find in the editing? (So I don't make the same mistakes again)...

Thanks again for the replies... I'll talk soon. I'm making more short films soon, so if you liked this one, the other films will be better!

Thanks,

Colin Worley
vixuxx

Re: New Short Film - "Sanctuary"

Post by vixuxx »

Dude, that was so good! That film was able to bring out some very deep emotions in me, and I don't have alot of those! Amazing Job!
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: New Short Film - "Sanctuary"

Post by angusware »

I first of all want to congratulate you for being one of the first people to make a film that isn't gore/blood and vampires. Although I was hoping for him to get taken out by a semi-trailer when he was sitting on the road.
I found the story disjointed and impossible to follow wihtout your blurb, it seemed that the story was based around a montage of, and I say without hyperbole, beautiful imagery and lighting.
I think I get the whole glass full/empty thing, but the story should have descibed him and his brother more than his pain.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thank you very much vixuxx, for your kind words! I'm really glad you could understand the movie and feel the emotions in this film.... I was just hoping that everyone could feel the emotions... but thanks again man, I really appreciate it!!

And angusware, thanks for the comment, but I'm sorry you couldn't understand the story... there were a few people that couldn't understand the movie, and maybe that was my fault, but I'm glad you could see my work, even if you didn't like it as much as other films... thanks for watching it, and spending the time to give me some constructive criticism.

Thanks everyone for watching my film,

I really appreciate it!!

Cheers,

SE7,
(Colin Worley)