3rd O.M.G. film - 'Out of this World'

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

The film needs to be colored and adjusted to look like something movie like. since the nature of the film is mostly medical i would use some green. The camera movment needs to be stabalized also in order to look professional.

A word about editing your choice of shots and which ones you are cutting to is somewhat confusing. You need to make use of establishing shots and cut aways to a view of the scene.

Example at the start of the film from the "steady hand" shot to the guy operating which frankly goes too long you cut to an identical character who at first i thaught was the same person at a different angle. A nice establishing shot of the whole room showing how many people were in there first would have been better for the edit.

The operations pace was slow moving and while the main guy operating has to get the tools himself the other guy just stands there like a moron.

Realistically you would have someone handing instruments to the operator it just looks like an unproffessional surgery. Also as the guy is writing you need cutaways of the important text hes writing and etc so that the plot comes through more. were doing alot of guess work on the movie at the moment because we have no idea about anything at the moment when ideally the start of a movie introduces character and plot. I mean looking at the organs and etc i thaught it was a backyard surgery rather than an alien autopsy.

Apart from that the camera shots were boring i would have thaught that the opportunity for the camera angles and movments to keep the rest of the room pretty much unseen could have enhanced the look that you are in an actual operating room.

Lighting was kinda bad too i would have done it alot differently the same as the music.

Interesting idea tho. but kind of unrealistic i mean it looks to me like one of those movies some college kids would make and get a C.

Just average... i hope it helped you learn some new stuff and has evolved you somewhat but i know you could do greater things
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Out of this World

Post by DarkElastic »

aaronv2 wrote:The film needs to be colored and adjusted to look like something movie like.
1. We wanted it to look like someone was filming a real event. The fazing in and out was the camera losing balance.
aaronv2 wrote:The camera movment needs to be stabalized also in order to look professional.
2. Same as above.
aaronv2 wrote:You need to make use of establishing shots and cut aways to a view of the scene.
3. We will look over that to see if there could have been a better one. But due to the space in the room, what we were trying to hide and the fact that we wanted to come staright into the action, we decided coming in on the light, and then the surgeon's face was the way to go.
aaronv2 wrote:The operations pace was slow moving and while the main guy operating has to get the tools himself the other guy just stands there like a moron.
4. This is a two man job. The second man's job of weight and recording is far more important than passing tools.
aaronv2 wrote:Realistically you would have someone handing instruments to the operator it just looks like an unproffessional surgery.

5. Same as above.
aaronv2 wrote:Also as the guy is writing you need cutaways of the important text hes writing and etc so that the plot comes through more. were doing alot of guess work on the movie at the moment because we have no idea about anything at the moment when ideally the start of a movie introduces character and plot. I mean looking at the organs and etc i thaught it was a backyard surgery rather than an alien autopsy.
6. What the guy is writing is not important. You just need to know he is logging. So, we did not bring attention to it too much.

7. Guess work is good as it keeps people interested and always trying to figure out what is going on.

8. It is meant to look a bit backyard, as what they are doing is not a professional job and what they are using it for is against-the-law.
aaronv2 wrote:Apart from that the camera shots were boring i would have thaught that the opportunity for the camera angles and movments to keep the rest of the room pretty much unseen could have enhanced the look that you are in an actual operating room.
9. The correct spelling is thought.

10. We did not want to bring attention to the rest of the room. The important parts are the operators and the being on the table.
aaronv2 wrote:Lighting was kinda bad too i would have done it alot differently the same as the music.
11. Everyone else who has viewed this film has commented on the lighting being good. I agree with them.
aaronv2 wrote:Interesting idea tho.
12. Your only positive on our film.

Some of the things you have reported on are things I would look at, as others have said the same - too long on the autopsy, tighter editing. But most of what you type is just negative sh!t. Was there nothing else good in the whole film?
Do me a favour Aarron2, if you are not going to take reviewing seriously don't bother. Actually, don't bother reviewing any of my films. We are here to help each other improve, not type bullsh!t about each other's films.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Out of this World Shooting Diary

Post by aaronv2 »

DarkElastic wrote:These films have now been on-line for a week and not one person has bothered watching them. I thought we were all on this site to help each other??? The only reason they have been placed on-line is so people on this site can view them - everyone else we wanted to view has seen them on DVD.

If I can view your films at work I do, so please return the favour. Thanks.
I Tried helping you out but you defended yourself whole heartedly just like I expected you to... all the justifications you put forward to my critique were so pathetic.

You need to work out your priorities... wether you want to develop as a film maker or just keep thinking what your putting out is acceptable because honestly acting like a jerk when noone watches it. then acting like a jerk when someone watches it and tells you how to improove is quite childish.

your not another 13 year old kid are you?
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: Out of this World Shooting Diary

Post by DarkElastic »

aaronv2 wrote:I Tried helping you out but you defended yourself whole heartedly just like I expected you to... all the justifications you put forward to my critique were so pathetic.

You need to work out your priorities... wether you want to develop as a film maker or just keep thinking what your putting out is acceptable because honestly acting like a jerk when noone watches it. then acting like a jerk when someone watches it and tells you how to improove is quite childish.

your not another 13 year old kid are you?
To be honest Aaronv2 I would prefer NOT to have your help. With the films that we are making we are developing. We are gathering equipment as we can afford it and we are learning as we go along. That is how we want it.

You did not try to help us out. You DO NOT help anyone out because you are a sad little a*** hole.

My comments were just, people place films on here expecting them to be watched and reviewed, but don't watch and review other's work as well. I do.

I have not seen any of your work on here, just your DVD screen. To be honest though I would not bother watching your work because you are a horrible little person who does not deserve any comments, or help. You will get what you deserve one day you little knob.

From now on you do not exist! And I implore others to do the same, so hopefully you blow away like the bad smell you are! This site does not need people like you. There is nothing wrong with being critical to someone’s work if it deserves it, but you are just 100% negative and obviously don't understand the word Amateur.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

hahah oh man what a baby. Ok then whatever ignore my comments it doesnt change the fact that this movie was sh1t
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

aaronv2 wrote:it doesnt change the fact that this movie was sh1t
How is this constructive criticism???

Forum Rules:

CRITICISM
Criticism is welcomed. We all need to hear what's wrong with our work so we can make it better. Please try to justify your views on another members work. Merely saying "It was rubbish" is not very helpful. If you must criticise someone elses work then try to mention the positive aspects as well. The name of the game is 'constructive criticism' not just slagging off someones work! On the other side of the fence be prepared for people to criticise your work.
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

I'm sorry I didn't let people know earlier, but Out of this World was broadcast on Sky TV Channel 'Propeller TV' last night (channel 195). Good news is that it will be shown again on 28/09/06 Thursday night, in the program called Scream Factory, around midnight.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

If anyone missed it last time, and want to watch Out of this World, it will be transmitted on Propeller TV - Sky channel 195 - on Wednesday 11 October 2006 at 23:14. Enjoy.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
Tench745

Post by Tench745 »

That was a good film, although I would have done some things differently. I suggest stabilizing the camera with a tripod or something. I liked the way the camera fazed in and out, but I might have used that as a fade transition from one shot to another rather than hard cutting. And finally, I agree with aaronv2 that the second person in the autopsy room could have been more useful, thus speeding up the autopsy slightly. I would just like to say that this is coming from someone who has never made a film (at least not yet), and I call things as I see them, from a viewer's perspective. Keep up the good work.
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Thank you for taking time to watch and review our film Tench745. With regards to stabilizing the camera in this film, we wanted it to seem as though there were 3 people in the room - 2 Scientists and 1 Cameraman. And this cameraman is not a professional. So, that is why the camera is free hand and shakey, to give the feel of realism.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
SammyJim

Post by SammyJim »

Wow! well done monkey group!

i thought almost every thing in this short film was perfect! I thought the storyline was very well done, and the lighting was spectacular. One might say, out of this world! (couldn't resist! sorry!)

The autopsy however did take quite a while, but it did keep me in suspense, and i wanted to know what they were doing with this tasty creature!

I thought the special effects were good too, i liked the rope hands. I thought the wobbley ness of the shots also gave it an authentic look.

Over all, brill!

Jerry Paper: banana lover. :)
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Thank you for taking time to watch and review our filmSammyJim.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group