My first video for college!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

My first video for college!

Post by maj_barnes »

I just got my first video project for college: to me it just seemed really simple. Go out and film certain camera angles; some activity in visual compostion (noticed I said visual). We were issued an HD camera (GL1), which is the first time I used one, and that's it. No boom mic or nothing (remember visual); we are watching these in class with the sound off. Also, no editing whatsoever was allowed: so what you're seeing is my little verison I'm keeping. Anyways, I tried my best to make somewhat interesting story (which I doubt it still is :) ) and still keep people interested with some glam. If after watching you have no f***' idea what just happen: scroll down to the bottom of my post and I'll have a little explaination (sp?). Also alittle tid-bit: we broke my SPAS airsoft gun, or at least the stock which really p*** me off!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mRLZzmQ9p7E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mRLZzmQ9p7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

***********************SPOILERS*****************************
the two that are shot are transfering a ransom for the guy in the trunk of the car. So when the kiddnapper gets the money he has no use for the captive: so he shoots him.
[HIGHLIGHT ABOVE TO READ]
Simple? :)
Grant

RE: My first video for college!

Post by Grant »

not bad, one thing though....how did the pistol suddenly emerge in the kidnapper's hand?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Haha, I knew somebody would catch it.

At first I had him push the shotgun out of the way then draw the pistol and fire it. But he was way too slow (also hesitated on the first shot), so I decided just to cut it out after trying clipping frames out and speeding it didn't help. All in all, that one scene used up 12 blanks we had to shoot it twice. And during one take (not shown) the gun jammed and I was forced to use that second camera angle looking at the kidnapper (which to my surprised turned out looking pretty good :D ).

Thanks!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Liked some of the camera angles also. Would like to see it set to a soundtrack of some type if you had the time :)
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

A GL1 isn't an HD camera is it?

Nicely done though! It's the lack of creative camera angles that usually gets to me (it's usually all hand-held head-height stuff) so keep it up and I'll look forward to your next project!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

if you had the time
Exactly. :)

I always thought it was, I just saw on the side of the camera 3CCD and assumed so. I'm probably wrong; it sucks when you get too opitmistic. The funny thing is: my teacher was just going over how he didn't want to see shaky cam or head height stuff. :)

Thanks again!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Guess he didn't really care what happened to the trunk of his car. :p
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Congrats, the cinematography was definetly a plus. Looking foreward to whatever is next.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: My first video for college!

Post by maj_barnes »

I have to say: this is the first time in a long while I've done something in 4:3, so it was alittle different composing the frame.
Firestorm wrote:Guess he didn't really care what happened to the trunk of his car. :p
Whoever said it was "his" car. :)
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: My first video for college!

Post by windog »

Guess he didn't really care what happened to the trunk of his car. :p
thats what i thought,

but you inadvertently captured the crazy attide of the guy!!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Haven't you guys seen Goodfellas?!

Anyways, I got my grade back: it was a 66 D. My teacher said it was the best one in the class, but he's a rubric grader: and since I didn't have an XCU or a tilting shot and a few others I lost out on like 30 points and another 4 from a few "shaky cam" shots.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

That's really too bad, I quite liked it. Definately A grade material in my mind... but them's the breaks. Did you at least have the rubric beforehand so you could shoot by it? If no; get yourself into the profs office and argue it, it's really the only way to go in post-secondary!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I knew it, but I thought the angles I had would pass. Like the trunk shot for a tilt, and a few of those closeups of faces for a XCU. But he said he was looking for like camera tilting up in like a movement. And a XCU as like Good Bad Ugly style. I'm really getting p*** off at him though for taking points off any shots that aren't on a tripod: he says if he sees handheld stuff he'll deduct points like crazy. But I keep on making the best videos in class with handheld s***, and he seems to be shutting up about it. :)
joe

Post by joe »

Handheld shots make you lazy. I know from experience. It would be better to take his advice and learn to shoot on a tripod, then progress (or digress depending on how you look at it) to handheld shots. That way, you will have the patience and ability needed for tripod shots and also the availability for handheld shots.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

The second shot was WAY too long after the car passed.
@seanbagley
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

You could have done a lot more visually. Like perhaps a chase scene. Since their was no sound involved, and it was mostly just visual, you should of filmed mostly close ups. I don't think the type of story you chose was right for the project.
"Prolly Just Film"
Tench745

Post by Tench745 »

I disagree completely with Lethelgirth. The story you chose was perfect. For your handheld shots, did you use a steadycam? I (not having made a film yet) would have built a poor man's steady cam and used that, but then again I've never tried it. Good film, great shots, sucks about the XCU and Tilt though.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

The only time I use handheld are for some shots where I like to have the camera moving (there was only two handheld in this, and I really wanted to be following Daniel). It's not like I'm doing all handheld, it's just when I need it. But he seems to have a heart attack at the mere sign of a camera shake.

Yea, it was. But I wanted to show off the lake a bit. :D

I really didn't feel like over dramatizing this by adding a chase scene or anything: because in my mind most gunfights or encounters are in mere seconds. I was wondering, what shots should have been closer? I know some were alittle bad, since right about where the trunk opens the camera was saying change the battery pack. :)

Thanks. :D Nope, it was just me walking backwards slowly.