S.T.O.R.M opening creds

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

S.T.O.R.M opening creds

Post by britishbulldog »

hello, i would like some feedback on the opening creds to my film S.T.O.R.M so tell me what you think, the first scene of the actual film is the lead character in a pub so its kind of an explanantion of why hes there. enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHhHDhQOU0
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: S.T.O.R.M opening creds

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Its was good when i saw the first one, then it starts to get boring =(

Try not just doing the punching bag, try something else
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: S.T.O.R.M opening creds

Post by rhys »

I agree, change the angle more and probably change the color (or get a better video camera). And what is hitting the bag so softly going to help with?
That song is really starting to annoy me, and the angle is still the same, after 1 min 20 seconds. And it finally changes, but not dramatically, its still a medium shot, but from 70 degrees instead of 30. Your camera is week, there is too much white in your shot, i cant see your face. Your doing what most extreme amatures do, having extremely long, boring angles. Now u have black, to fill in with the rest of the song. Seriously, cut the song to fit the shot, dont cut the movie to fit the song. But make sure u do it well or it will turn out bad, i assure you.
Anyway, it was original, but u just gotta fix up them few things. Yeah and the bright white is really really bad.
Hide or fight for your life?
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

That was utterly boring mate. Sorry to tell you. Like they said before change angles more and make it more interesting. The contrast is bad and you never even did a white balance FFS. Why does he sit there and just look at the plastic pop holder for 10 secs. So weird. Buy a new camera and give it another shot.
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Yeah, I agree with all that as been said, I liked the titles but they dragged a bit, and it was kinda boring. Yeah, Kieth, why does he look at the plastic thing for ten secs.
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

thanks for the replies, except rhys(as everything youve criticised about my work is twice as bad in your own, and who are you to call anyone an amatuer i'm not saying i'm not but i dont know why you bother showing us half of what you do, and then you say my music annoys you when yours is so much worse, and then you criticise my camera angles thinking yours are really proffessional becuase you have a close shot of your shoes when your walking through your house) for one you werent sposed to see the actors face two its a comedy so hes hitting the bag like a fag and three he looks at the empty plastic thingy because hes run out of beers and the next scene is him in a bar (can you see the connection) The exposure bothered me too but I dont know how to adjust the settings as i'm cr** with anything technical. I thought you were a bit harsh about it being boring i've seen much longer and duller starts to films than that, like gone in 60 seconds which lasted about half an hour I thought mine was fairly imaginative
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

except rhys(as everything youve criticised about my work is twice as bad in your own, and who are you to call anyone an amatuer i'm not saying i'm not but i dont know why you bother showing us half of what you do, and then you say my music annoys you when yours is so much worse, and then you criticise my camera angles thinking yours are really proffessional becuase you have a close shot of your shoes when your walking through your house)
Um.... yeah, cos mines worse than yours, seriously just face it, u suck, and im mean so u take out ur crappyness onto me.
Hide or fight for your life?
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

yes it is i should be thankful to you though as you make my work look alot better than it actually is compared with yours
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

you fag.
how come everyone basically said the same thing but you just autimatically retaliated to rhys and said that he thinks his shots are professional? i mean i dont think one angle that goes for 1min and 30 freaking seconds of just a puching bag and names constantly appearing on it.
he looks at the empty plastic thingy because hes run out of beers and the next scene is him in a bar
yeh but why does he stare at it for 10 seconds?
I thought you were a bit harsh about it being boring i've seen much longer and duller starts to films than that,
well your not exactly going to make it less boring just by comparing it to something thats more boring. oh and also why do you you have 35 seconds of black just to finnish of that god-damn song.
and then you say my music annoys you when yours is so much worse
well if you hate his music so much why dont you just leave, after all your house does have wheels.
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

becuase YOU FAG i have seen alot of the stuff rhys posts and can compare my work to his, where as i havent seen anything from any other posters. Plus people are so harsh about his work i thought he would of leanrt not to treat others the same way.

And anyway everyone i showed it too outside of this forum thought it was good i spose its becuase they can look at it from normal persons perspective and not the I'm the greatest film maker who ever lived perspective most people on here hold.

and yer the bricks in the back of the shot are such a give away that my house is a caravan if thats wot your implying num nuts
Last edited by britishbulldog on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

Can we not get into and argument about Rhys every single thread. Just ignore him. For that work your in the same boat as Rhys is. Quite frankly I would almost think that was Rhys's work. But he is old news and don't you see its fuel for his fire. He would stop acting this way if we all just ignored him. Hes a child and we snoop to his level for calling people fags. Not we don't want to Rhys's running around so BritBullyDog just stop directing it at Rhys cause we all know it was from you to everyone else you just didn't want to sound like a snob to the other members. But to Rhys its okay. :S ROFL. Anyways yah still your man looking at the cup for 10 secs surely doesn't lead into it. If it does then it still doesn't have to be in hour of him standing there trying to stay still when clearly you should of said cut a while back. Cheers mate (brit talk) have fun. Hopefully your movie turns out good.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

"For that work your in the same boat as Rhys" as it wasn't a poorly choreographed fight scene i tend to disagree

"stop directing it at Rhys cause we all know it was from you to everyone else you just didn't want to sound like a snob to the other members"

why whats wrong with directing it at other members ?? are they big players on the forum scene hhmmm ..yer. I've explained why it was directed at rhys becuase after having seen his own work he had no right to say that about mine
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

But thats where your wrong. He has every right to say it. Your work was as bad as his. So please stop arguing. Your worked sucked sorry face it. So does Rhys, his work sucks to. Its plain and simple. Try and make it better. The time it takes you to b**ch out every member you could have it redone and redid and be posting it on here the prove everyone that your better then Rhys. Cause where it stands your not. So just stop and go fix your exposure, the letter, the scene cuts, the 10 second start at plastic. Then post it so we can take a look and see if your on the right track. We are here to help you not put you down. But if you insist on fighting then your getting no response. I know you have tonnes of time. Use it. Quit being lazy. This goes for Rhys to.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i thought it was good, i 'm trying to be constructive so i'll give some constructive points:

the lettering of the names may have been more interesting if you'd changed colour or font once in a while, sometimes it was difficult to read

please change the brightness in post, i was squinting at the screen at times, it is fairly simple to do

and also, you have a big fridge

man, that music rules...who is it
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

so you can see if i'm on the right track ?? some people on here have such big heads, and please dont give me a response Keithp becuase there not worth reading, i would like to see some of your work if you had posted any "I know you have tonnes of time" so you think you know everything about me aswell as film making and please improve your grammar i never thought i'd say that to somone but your coming across as a 10 year old.

ctbullet thanks for the reply the music was bad moon rising by creedence clear water revival i found it in a heap of cd's on my computer desk as we did the thing in about half an hour so it was just use what you could find but i thought it was a good choice, secondly the exposure really bothers me aswell but im useless with technical aspects and the fact i have a huge fridge just made it worse when the light came on lol, and the punchbag was in an enclosed space so i couldn't really change the angle and didnt really see the point but i probably will change the font and colours just to make it more interesting for those who cant concentrate for just over a min without being bored.

can i actually change the brightness in post ? i thought it just made everything darker and the white bits stayed exactly the same
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

Here is an ad I did for school.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EP5PtflzQJU
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

are you suggesting i should go back and add a fade in or fade out after every shot ??? lol
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

It fades in out because thats what its supposed to do. It follows a pattern. But im sure you wouldn't understand that.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

exposure! a bit too high do you think not? Also yeh, make it better.....
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Bulldog i personally think you are on the right track. Ok, the contrast was off and i think you really needed to white balance it, but its a mistake i know i've made now and then, just forgetting to press one button on your camera doesn't make you a cr** film maker, so don't worry about it. I think the idea with the punching bag was good, the first 30 odd seconds were good, but i feel you could have cut to another different shot, possibly have the credits running through to the shots of him looking for a beer and then possibly into him heading to the bar. I agree with the others when they say the shot of him looking at the plastic was too long, but its a first cut, things like that can be changed in seconds in premiere. It needs improvement but things can be changed easly, live and learn mate.

One other note, if a mod reads this is there any chance of a "Construtive reviews only" rule be made? It's getting pretty old watching people slagging off each others work. The whole point of posting your work is for surgestions and reviews, just saying it sucks because you don't like it is a waste of time, you'll get enough of that from paid critics when you get famous.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

thanks for the advice chris if only everyone was like you, lol I probably will cut a few of the names and add them in after he finishes his punching thanks again
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

I love how I said almost the exact same thing as Chris but you take offense to that. Whatever.
Last edited by KeithP on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

seriously with the grammar though how old are you? i dont understand
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Bulldog, you need to realize that the industry is FLOODED with criticism, both constructive and negatory. You've got to learn to take it in, and improve yourself from it. If someone says your work is bad, don't get p*** off and bash back, actually think about it, and improve it.

Don't think I'm going to come in and say, "Hey, you're young, no worries, it'll come." Hell no, if you want to get babied, go somewhere else. The criticism you get on here, even the negatory, is fuel for correcting yourself and improving the quality of your work. You've got to respect us, either way, it's how you learn.

You commented something on the basis of, people not affiliated with this forum, thinking it was great, and something about their point of view vs. the forum's members'...well, those people probably have no idea what goes into the whole process, unlike the members here. We, as well as you, share a passion for filmmaking. We know what it's like, the tricks and the tips that make everything click. Learn from others, and the mistakes they make, and welcome comments from others.

As for my analysis of your opening credits, I think the idea that you have is very creative. I like the look of it, BUT, I'll agree with some of the others in the sense that it gets boring rather quick. Change it up a little. Make him hit the bag a couple times, then, when your camera angle changes, you could add a credit in there. Once you open the door, and the camera angle changes to inside the kitchen, you could flash another credit. Same as when you open the fridge. One tip for fridge/door/room shots, is take two different shots. Such as, one of you opening the fridge from the outside, then one of the same thing, but actually place your camera INSIDE the fridge, to get a frontal angle. It adds a huge effect, and no one usually expects that. If you don't know what I mean, ask me later.

Another thing, it's cool that you've got the idea of looking at the empty can holder, but after a couple seconds, we get the point. Shorten it, and keep the audience's attention. No sense in lagging, keep the shots flowing. After that, I get a black screen, so whatever is to come....And the exposure...yeah...haha, work on that. It draws my attention away from the focal point of the shot. All in all, you've got a lot to work on, but that just means you can only go up in the quality of your productions. Keep an open mind, and explore variations in filming. Randomize, you can come up with some REALLY cool stuff that way. Go all out, it's easier to decrease in effectiveness than increase. Good luck, and just be open...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Mmkay, I haven't really looked at any other posts because of their massivness but this thing needs some work.

Firsly, the titles (British Bulldogs Presents) are very amateurish and I know you want this to look as good and as close to proffesional as you can so I suggest a simple white, fade-in, fade-out text. Sure you'll say, "That's ordinary" but it'd look a lot better than what you've got now. I also don't know if "Nobody" is actually meaning nobody or if it's some other company...if it's actually nobody you're refering to...take it out.

The stopping and placing credits on the punching bag is different but gets old after a while. You also tend to make a mistake with the flow that many others do and this is watching every step the character takes. You could probably cut from character taking gloves off to him opening the fridge. Another thing with flow is the fact that we have to watch an empty pop can plastic stuff for 3 seconds when it could be cut to half a second.

Your exposure is way too high. I don't know if that's a function that can be messed with on your camcorder but if it is...I strongly recommend adjusting it every shot.