Professional TV video vs movie

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Firestorm

Professional TV video vs movie

Post by Firestorm »

I'm trying to get a job involving videography. I realized that I usually try to do things as though I'm filming a movie. What are the differences in technique, framing, etc. in professional TV videography as opposed to moviemaking? Is there a guide, or do you pretty much use the same techniques?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Professional TV video vs movie

Post by DEDFX »

TV and Film are pretty different
you might want to go to your lcoal bookstore and check these out...
http://www.amazon.com/Television-Produc ... 33?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Directing-Produci ... 33?ie=UTF8
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Firestorm, here we are again lol,

Righto, there are so many differences you cannot ask this kind of question and trully expect an answer without first saying what kind of resources it is that you are playing with.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

It all depends what you are shooting for TV, not much differwence in framing between production TV ( sries shows, specials, etc ) and movies. Shooting news, whether sports or hrad news, still involves some of the basics, but requires some additional shots since you aren't really shooting to script. Basic rules for shooting news..
1) Establishing shot what happened and where, usually a pretty wide shot
2) Each individual element of the story, wide, medium, tight
3) Shoot cutaways... A lot of time, particularly at breaking news you may have to "cross the line" and shoot 180 deg. out from the previous shot. You may have a jump cut that really needs to be used to tell the story. Both of these can be pretty shocking to the viwers, so we cover them up with a cutaway between. Something that breaks that jarring sequence. At a fire, perhaps a closeup of the dials of the pump panel on an engine, the door of the apapratus showing the department name and logo, or the dial 911 signage on a piece. You can use the red ( or blue or mixed or whatever color) warning lights of any emergency vehicle as an effective cutaway, maybe the back of a firefighters turnouts. Anything to break the cross over or jump cut that generally does not indicate what direction it was shot from, or which sequences with the jump cut.
You can still use artsy shots like a rack focus....
At a fatal MVA, I shot the crime scene tape in focus, then racked out so the tape went out of focus as the vehicle in the MVA behind pulled into focus.
For event videography, you almost eed multiple camera coverage.
Weddings... arghh! an art form unto itself and I believe a business best pursued by the most masochistic of shooters :)
But even corporate events, or birthday parties etc, generaly need multiple cameras to really get an effective presentation.
OK so there are a few ideas, but what exactly will you be shooting for TV, it is definiely a different game between shooting commercials, news/sports, and actual TV show production. A lot of the skills are transferable... camera positioning, froming, manual control settings... but there are also different skill sets involved beyond the basics.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Raptor, thanks. :) Given me some stuff to think about and good suggestions.

This would be for random events the city does, and I may or may not be the only cameraman at these events. Basically trying to get a decent amount of usable and professional-looking footage.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Sounds then like you would be shooting in more of a news style. At events, work on the nat sounds - the music at a parade, say at a dinner, the sound of plates and silverware etc, crowd noise at a ball game, that sort of thing. Number one rule... use a tripod! The number two rule is use a tripod :) If your camera isn't shoulder mount, then either buy or build a shoulder adapter, because there will be times you want to go off the sticks for certain shots, and the shoulder mount gives you at least a little stability. If you are going to zoom on a shot, if possible 'zoom with your feet' if off the shoulder. It takes a fair bit of practice and you look kind of funny walking, but it will give you more control over keeping the image stable than using the zoom control of the camera. Shooting breaking news, or local events, is actually more of a challenge than shooting TV production or shooting movies, since you really can't control the environment, or pick your locations to suit the need, you are kind of stuck with where things are happening and the existing conditions. Standing along the interstate at an accident, or like last night, at 2 AM I was in a parking lot where a 24" water main had ruptured leaving a 10 x 10 block area out of water. I had little to no control of the lights, or how the repair crews worked in teh available light, so it took some figuring to get good shots, while working within the light constraints and trying to stay out of the water which was 6 - 8 inches deep in spots. It's also a lot of fun, and a great way to improve your shooting skills.
Keep one thing in mind, anything you shoot that is good, license it to the local news stations, they will want you to give it away, but stand your ground and make a couple of bucks they'll pa for it Granted they won't want everything, but if it's good stuff they will, particularly if they have nothing from the scene, or if you got to the scene early on. I've gotten calls from the local station I frelance for to go to a scene because they know I can be there shooting before their reporter/photog team get there. In a lot of cases, just the couple minutes quicker I could get there and shoot, made for some of the better video of the event. the downside is you will see the worst of the worst. You have to separate yourself from teh event and just record what is happening. Fatal accidents, fires, murders, you run into them all. The other thing to be aware of at breaking news, if you are there with a camera, always keep aware of your surroundings. These can be emotionally charged moments for the victims and their friends and family, and there is always the possibility of there rage and frustration being taken out on you.
The other problem you run into is police/fire/security personnel who may not be totally aware of the laws, and your rights as a journalist, technically that is what you are even though you are freelance. Different states have slightly different laws. For example in most states, a shopping mall is considered private property, so your rights to shoot there can be restricted. Even using freedom of the press does not give you rights to enter on private property. That being said, I'd probably still go in and shoot until I was asked to leave. Respect police lines and tape. If you are on a shoot where there are other shooters, respect them also, don't jump in front of their shots, piggyback their interviews etc ( Now if it is say a police, fire or other official who is making a statement and everyone is shooting the statement, then by all means jump in and get your sound and video, just don't hose someone else's shot to do it.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands