Nightcast - Trailer A

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Nightcast - Trailer A

Post by wildstorm »

This isn't my film. I was given permission by a friend of mine, Marco von Moos, who is the founder of No Control Cinema, to advertise his film which is looking to be really awesome, so here is the first trailer for the the film, "Nightcast."
Marco von Moos wrote:Designed by a ruthless military commander to be the ultimate weapon, the human biological experiment goes terribly wrong. The remains of Detective Harry Brighton, who died in the line of duty, were secretly re-animated and altered - his memory erased. But even though the physical alterations gave him the power of ten men and incredibly fast reactions, one unforeseen flaw turned victory upside down:

NIGHTCAST is hyperemotional, torn between furious rage and total despair.

Impossible to keep this creaton within the secure military boundaries, NIGHTCAST escapes and sets out to discover who he is. Piece by piece, he assembles the fragments to the shocking truth: beneath the protective polymeric skin awakes a loving husband, a loayal friend and a responsible citizen who finds himself at the center of a war between a rivaling Crimelord, a ruthless military commander, corrupt city authorities and a group of underground rebels.

Will his strength, love and courage or his incredible rage and will to destroy finally win the upper hand?
Trailer:
http://fxhome.com/cinema/info_cache/movieinfo2354.html

http://www.nccinema.ch/Ehome.html

This film is slated for a January '07 release
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Nightcast - Trailer A

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well yeah it looks utterly cheesy (like some spawn wannabe) but nonetheless it looks like a totally professional low budget effort?

What the heck did the guy film it on? What was his budget? Is this for television? or is he attempting to get distribution, give us more info maaan....
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

That is the EXACT same plot as Robocop.
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Hey! Instead of going back and forth through two forums, I thought I'd register and answer personally. Easier for wildstorm too I think. :D
What did the guy film it on?
It was actually a girl that filmed most of it. ;)
It was filmed with a Sony HDR FX-1 throughout. Not special gear attached (unfortunately, we wanted to get a 35mm adapter, but that didn't work out)
What was his budget?
The cashbudget was 25'000 $, including the camera and two computers to edit it plus budget for trying to get the film funded, which failed - we got screwed by a producer.
So the money to actually film the piece is at about 10'000 $
Is this for television? Or is he attempting to get distribution?
This if for proper distribution, first aimed at local theatres, then internationally on DVD, then TV. While negotiations haven't even really started yet, the film has already found interested distributors in a couple of countries.

And no, the plot is not the same as Robocop, allthough undeniably influenced by it. ;)
The three main influences, if you shred it down to key elements, are Darkman (main characters are similar in some ways, utterly different in others), RoboCop (some main plot elements are very similar, most subplots are entirely different) and Spawn (Spawn only visually in certain areas, plotwise, it has no similarities except the "burned hero" factor - I actually didn't even like the film much apart from it's visual design in places).

So the film is indeed a wild mixture of my favorite B-Movies with a very different focus though. I'm not claiming to have reinvented the wheel. The film is taking what is there in gerne, and hopefully add something new to it with the combination. :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Welcome to the forum Sollthar, well thats brilliant! I should warn you this forum caters for a very diverse range of filmmakers (some are like you, but not many) most are 13 and irritating (not all tho bless em')

The Sony HDR FX, that is a very popular HDV camara, how did you guys do for sound though, is that not the version without the XLR connections (did you use others) or did your sound get recorded independently (onto a DAT or digi recorder) via a mic?

A 35mm adapter (ambitious stuff for this forum haha) brilliant. Well its important to remember also that a very wide depth of field is ALSO a filmic look, and not just a shallow one.

A $10k budget, well i think it looks superior to that, (a lot of guys can end up spending 4x that, especially if their paying standard rates for cheesy actors and staff) - and it still looks no better than what you'll achieve. So i presume you used a lot of volanteers etc yep?

So if you don't mind me asking how did you raise that kind of capital! £$£

I think its great you have some interest from distributers already, can i ask how you spurred that interest? Did you feature your film with mention in industry press magazines or submissions etc?

Sure the plot does appear a little contrived, but this is very much a 'genre' film anyway, catering to people i imagine who pretty much want (what we see in the trailer) without too much changing of the genre format.
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Heh, most forums have a huge range with their users, thats what makes them so interesting I think. In the end, the audience of your film will have an even larger range - so I find that very enlightening. Plus I might be double the age of a 13 year old, but I'm still just a film fanatic enthusiast. :)
Some are like you
Then I already feel sorry for them... :D
Well its important to remember also that a very wide depth of field is ALSO a filmic look, and not just a shallow one.
The sound was a bit of a special approach. Since we were only 3 to 5 crew people on set - director, co-director, camerawoman, light and production manager - we had no spare hands to record sound in any way. So the whole sound of the final film is done by exact foley work and ADR. We're almost through with it and I must say, I don't regret the decision. It's a pretty crisp sound in a high quality and not having to focus on sound while filming allowed us to make it through the intense schedule.
Well its important to remember also that a very wide depth of field is ALSO a filmic look, and not just a shallow one.
Yeah, I don't believe in "the filmlook OMG" anyways since I like when films look differently, according to the story they tell / feel they want to have. And most films look differently. I had liked using some more depth of field effects on this specific picture, but it wasn't possible. Maybe for the better, cause focus pulling costs a lot of time on set again until you get it right. :)
A $10k budget, well i think it looks superior to that, (a lot of guys can end up spending 4x that, especially if their paying standard rates for cheesy actors and staff) - and it still looks no better than what you'll achieve. So i presume you used a lot of volanteers etc yep?
Thanks for saying it looks more expensive. Personally, I think some parts do, some parts don't. The quality of the film varies quite a lot, depending on how much time we had to shoot a scene. So does the quality of the actors. Some are well experienced professionals, some are fresh from acting school, some are enthusiasts. A wils mixture, but there was no other choice at that budget range. That or not making the film at all, which wasn't an option to us.
So if you don't mind me asking how did you raise that kind of capital!
No no, I don't mind. I'll try to answer everything that comes up.
Simply put: We paid for all of it. All the 5 people on set raised the money privately. So we were not even not paying the crew, we even had the crew pay. We calculated a budget and saw how much everyone was able/willing to raise, then opened an account and went on from there.
Not everyone paid the same of course, me and my girlfriend raised 2/3 of the money ourselves and emptied our bankaccounts.
I think its great you have some interest from distributers already, can i ask how you spurred that interest?
Interestingly, most of them came to us instead of the other way round. The somehow saw our trailer in certain forums / heard about the trailer from people seeing it in certain forums / discovered the website etc and then decided to mail us. We haven't started approaching distributors yet since the film is still largely unfinished and I don't want to show them a cut at that stage.
Plus some distributors have worked with us in the past and liked our work.

But it's still a looooong way until we get our money back, if we ever will.
Sure the plot does appear a little contrived, but this is very much a 'genre' film anyway, catering to people i imagine who pretty much want (what we see in the trailer) without too much changing of the genre format.
Yeah, NightCast aims at a certain audience - allthough I'm honestly unsure who exactly the audience is. :)
I can't wait to see how the final film will be received, cause in many places, we didn't treat it as a B-Movie, but a serious character Drama set in a B-Movie surrounding. Which was a dangerous route, as it could mean we lose both audience or win both, or win a new one... But I guess it's how you look at it and I have yet to get reactions to the final product, which no one except for the team has seen so far.

Oh, long post. Hope you didn't fall asleep just yet. :)
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

sollthar wrote:I'm still just a film fanatic enthusiast. :)

Aww, thanks :D *gushes*.
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Heh :D
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Thats amazing sollthar, we ironically have quite a lot in common. Cos when im 26 (im 25 presently) I will be in the midst of production (hopefully finishing production in fact) for a feature film shot on high definition (though in our case its a wagnerian drama set in the ruins of berlin ww2 - oh god another war movie lol - its the producers fault) Though at least our film is about a rescue attempt to save hitler from the russians (so thats different!)

Thats brilliant what you have done, and as a filmmaker i commend you on taking the aggressive steps necessary to ferment what i hope for u will be the early steps of a career ;)

Im shooting our feature on the panasonic HVX200, and will have a very similar set up to your film, both in crew, funding, and means of production (both viusal and with sound.)

The only difference is that we raise moeny not thru part time jobs etc, but thru doing corporate videos but sadly (we're not in a rich economic area) so the market is very low £$£ profit wise. (Enuf to pay for our gear so far though.)

Ya we should chat sometime we probably have a bit in common!
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Welcome to the forums Sollthar:D
Visual Effects Artist
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

If it wouldn't take up too much of your time, would you mind detailing some of the special effects you used? (or at least just the ones we saw in the trailer).

I'm talking mainly about the "super-strength" thing where the guy is thrown, all the gunfights, etc. How much did you spend on what? Heh.
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

$10000? Not fair.
Hmm, like Holdios am interested in the effects and software you used...
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It looks good for an indie, you can tell it has a big budget but some of the acting looks mediocre. Looks like a film that would be on the Sci-Fi channel.

edit: the monster kind of looked like the thing on "Starkid".
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Thanks for the comments all!

Well, the guys that are thrown away are 3D doubles modelled and animated in Cinema4D. The final compositing has been done in VisionLab HD.
The gunshots are a combination of VisionLabs Gun system, real muzzle footage and our own smoke pack we sell on our site.

The 3D and greenscreen effects are by far the most time consuming ones, 1 week of work on a 3 second shot isn't rare with those. Since we couldn't afford proper wires, we had to find a digital solution for stunts like that, and with composited 3D models we got the best results while having complete control over the movement and look.
GoodStuffFilms

Post by GoodStuffFilms »

was that made with fxhome products?
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

GoodStuffFilms wrote:was that made with fxhome products?
Yep.

The software is priced cheaper but when used correctly, it can make your films stand out. This was the reason why I started this post is because there are a few people on here that bad mouth FXhome products mainly because of the effects preset library. Sollthars film just goes to show that you don't have to use presets and the keying program within VisionLab HD produces excellent green or bluescreen keying without shelling out almost a grand to do the samething in Adobe After Effects or spending $500 or whatever on a keying plugin. Sure there's effects presets and stuff but you can still make your own preset.
Visual Effects Artist
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Yeah, I never downloaded a preset yet because I like having the control over each and every part of my effect.

Allthough a "preset" is basically nothing then "settings" on the effect filters the programs come with. So even with a preset you can still easily tweak and change every aspect of it.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

solthar, may i ask, how do you add depth of field in pre production? Because on one of your vids at nccinema, you decribe on how to get your unique look on nightcast, then you mention that you add depth of field and i was wondering how you do it. Oh and i am looking forward to the film. Keep up the good work :)
sollthar

Post by sollthar »

Thanks Magic-Man.

Well, basically I used VisionLab for it. I created a gargagematte to divide foreground and background, then simply blurred the background. It's not recommendable doing that on too many shots or shots with a lot of movement though.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

yeh, i thought as much. I did that in after effects, where i blurred a duplicate, then masked around what i wanted to be in focus. Just thought maybe there would be some other way. Thanks for the reply.