Dub or Real Time?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Unconscious

Dub or Real Time?

Post by Unconscious »

I have a cheap digital camcorder that could my family around £90, and I was wondering what would be the best technique to get the actors voices in.

Perhaps I should film it all real time; but the downside is that there will be backgrounds noises, or should I film it all, and dub the voices over? The bad point in that is that it is quite likely going to be out of sync.

Your opinions?

EDIT: I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the editing forums. I chose here, as it will influence my style of filming.
NGFilms03

RE: Dub or Real Time?

Post by NGFilms03 »

Well, if you put time into the dub there's no reason it couldn't come out sounding great.
What we did was to record it all real-time and edit that together so the dialogue can be heard, albeit over background noise, and then get your actors to mimic their on-screen dialogue into the mic.
That'll ensure a decent sync up.
Hope that helps.
Grant

Post by Grant »

The whole opening scene of UDDS X was dubbed lol.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Lol! i dont even know what u mean.
Hide or fight for your life?
Unconscious

Post by Unconscious »

So dubbing is the way to go? I am working on an apocalyptic movie, for this reason, there cannot be any cars/people able to be heard in the background. That is why whether I wondered whether dubbing would be best.

Cheers.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: Dub or Real Time?

Post by Clarence »

If you don't want background noise...than yes, dub.

It will take practice to get the voices in sync, and it might be a little frustrating lining everything up in your editing program. Make sure the program your using supports multiple audio tracks.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

If your audio is a little off sync, then just move it around in post.
Unconscious

Re: RE: Dub or Real Time?

Post by Unconscious »

Clarence wrote:If you don't want background noise...than yes, dub.

It will take practice to get the voices in sync, and it might be a little frustrating lining everything up in your editing program. Make sure the program your using supports multiple audio tracks.
Does Adobe Premiere/After Effects support MATs?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Dub or Real Time?

Post by Clarence »

Yep.
Grant

Post by Grant »

A very large amount of
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Ohh, please don't dub over voices unless you absolutely have to. It takes tons of talent to be able to sync up audio to match moving mouths. Personally I can't stand the slightest bit of off-sync audio, it drives me nuts. But hey, if you hate background noise that much you can do it. I also don't have the patience to match up everysing word in post. Just think, if you say one word the wrong speed, the rest of that segment is messed up. I might try using the camera's mic and test it to see how much you hate it or not (you may be suprised). Try using some sort of noise reduction or ambient (sp? empty backgound noise) noise to cover up that camera motor. Background music can help too. Those ADR people are amazing.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

if you can get a cheap external mic to hook up to your camera that will eliminate a ton of background noise, and you dont have to do all the work of dubbing and syncing it.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
Grant

Post by Grant »

It is very hard to dub over. You have to match the timing and tone well
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

He said he had a cheap camera, so he probably doesn't have any inputs for mics.
Unconscious

Re: RE: Re: RE: Dub or Real Time?

Post by Unconscious »

Clarence wrote:He said he had a cheap camera, so he probably doesn't have any inputs for mics.

That is correct.

I have no mic inputs on my video camera, which is why I thought dubbing was the only way to get to get little - NO ambient or background noise.

I do not want to hear cars, birds, planes, or general camera noise.
littleOsama

Re: Dub or Real Time?

Post by littleOsama »

Sorry to take the spotlight away from you but umm... I'm having the exact same problem. Only difference is that I'm making a documentary on battle rappers. Nothing is scripted, so dubbing isn't a choice, is it? How can I solve MY problem?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: Dub or Real Time?

Post by DEDFX »

Quick question, what does your name "littleOsama" mean?
littleOsama

Re: RE: Re: Dub or Real Time?

Post by littleOsama »

I'm half black and half lebonese, and even though osama's pakistani, to stupid americans, all arabs are the same. In my hood If your name isn't a real stand out name, people give you a nickname, and my name is kris which isn't a stand out name at all. So people just called started callin me osama and the name just stuck. I didn't mind it because in arabic, Osama means lion.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Re: Dub or Real Time?

Post by DEDFX »

please don't tell me you just called americans stupid :)
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Sorry to rain on your parade Unconscious unless you want to settle for out of sync audio, you have practically no option. If your filming on a crappy camera them obviously you don't have much of a showcase or important audience like a festival. So in that case I don't think I sacrifice my audio sync for background noise. Like I said, have you actually tested the camera to see how bad the camera noise is? Also you say you don't want natural noises like cars, birds, planes, ect. Those are, generally, noises that occur in real-life, therefore you wouldn't need to do away with them. Unless it was narration, in which case you probably would dub over. I was suggesting if you used the camera mic to put ambient noise or some kind of artificial background noise to hide the camera noise.

If you have a mp3 player/recorder, or any sound recording device you can use that as a makeshift boom mic. Albeit the audio might not be great, but it wouldn't have as much background noise and no motor noise. If you do this use a clapper board. Make sure the clap is loud. You'll want to match up the sound spikes in post. In editing look at the levels each device shows then match the audio up with the clapper spikes. This should be close.

And osama: I have no intentions to start a fight. But that was NO reason to insult Americans. Yeah, sometimes we can be ignorant BUT don't classify Americans as stupid like that. Like I said, I do not want this to start an arguement, and I may be over-reacting, but I felt I needed to say something.

Thanks.
-The Wildabeast
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
littleOsama

Post by littleOsama »

Ya'll need to relax. I'm american too. I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio right on Superior. And I still live in Cleveland on st. clair in tha brix. I'm just as (if not more) american as you. But I'm not here to discuss political views, I'm here to meet intelligent, experienced filmmakers who can give me advice whenever needed.
littleOsama

Post by littleOsama »

Question. I only have about 200 to 300 dollars (in american currency) to spend on a camera because I am trying to get more than one. So what is the best kind of camera to buy?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

So with $300 you are trying to buy more than 1 camera? Why do you need more than 1? And what is "tha brix"?
littleOsama

Post by littleOsama »

No I'm Tryna Buy more than one for 300 each
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Why? You can probably get 2 VHS cameras but then you couldn't edit them on your computer unless you want them to look like cr**. Just get a cheap miniDV camera, it's possible to make a movie with 1 cam.