Why most filmmakers on matts suck! (compares members films)

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Grant

Post by Grant »

"How Santa Clause Conquered the Martians! " I have it on DVD lol.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Lawrie, I'm not saying that learning from studying movies is a bad idea, I never did. I said that if you're looking to stretch boundaries and do some new stuff, it helps to know what's been done, what hasn't - which you can only find out by studying the movies that have already been made. It's a good way to start out, but when it comes to being proficient at making movies, studying film theory is nothing compared to getting out there and getting the necessary experience. You learn more from your own mistakes more than you ever could from the mistakes of others - because you put the effort into a movie that was s***, it was your baby for a while, and it turned out like cr**... that's the reason that the lessons learned are going to be engraved in your head for future projects. Moreso than if you had spent that time watching the movies of others and studying their mistakes (or triumphs) - it's not personal, it's objective, and you don't learn like you would if you had gotten the hands-on experience instead.

Off topic: I disliked TTRL for the reasons mentioned before - it was an amorphous blob of philosophy. No real characters, no realistic portrayals, too much voice overs... it was like Waking Life goes to war (even though that came out after the fact lol) The cinematography was excellent though (although I can't imagine what cinematographer would be given that scenery and produce cr**,) as was the music. SPR gave me a more emotional response because it focused on the realism of it all - the battle scenes, the characters (except for the shaved head 40 year old German soldiers - but I guess Band of Brothers helped Spielberg get over his bias :P) Except for the final cemetery scene, it was all in all a very well done, well put together film. The unfortunate side effect, of course, was the spinoffs and flag waving "America pwns all" patriots (who ignore, along with everyone else, that the first shot of our flag shows it as a faded out shadow)
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

"How Santa Clause Conquered the Martians! " I have it on DVD lol.
yeah....me too. :? ......
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

MARS ATTACKS.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
Lebotimizer_1

Post by Lebotimizer_1 »

lawjaffa get over urself ur movies arent exactly hollywood
'Ive been eating nothing but chicken tika and lasagne for days" - Dead Mans Walk 04
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well Padrino, end of the day ive learned some film theory, (learning more) and it isnt some irrelevant 'art interest' its prevelant to the vocational skills pertinent to filmmaking itself.

I think its obvious to say that experience is the most useful skill, but many here will not appreciate just how 'conditional' that skill has to be for it to be beneficial. Most of the mistakes I list in the essay are repeated by filmmakers here, they are not improved upon 'based on experience'. If they had read up on their filmmaking 101 then they would have improved from film to film, as the experience would register with the theory learned, to bring about tangible improvement.

An interesting point to consider with SPR is how many critics derided the immaturity/cliched representation of its characterisations. Grant saying the films are spectrums apart, (Thin Red Line and SPR) could not be more accurate imo. Bear in mind tho, that critically Thin Red Line, responded equally well, if not better (even if it ddi not do so commercially to the same extent as SPR.)

Er Lebotimizer,
lawjaffa get over urself ur movies arent exactly hollywood
Thank goodness for that!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I like mushrooms.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

I found this very useful, though its long.

Its difficult for people to find real talents who can actually ACT.
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Epsilon wrote:I like mushrooms.
Mushrooms are great. Spinache is better. Alright, this thread was started to try and help us learn something. Although it was very blunt and not worded to be kind, most of it is helpful. It has now turned into a thread for showing off and arguing with Lawrie. If this thread continues let us try and keep it on subject. Not just repeat what has been said or putting down anyone. Everyone try and learn from what has been said here. There is a lot of very good tips amidst the arguments.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Wow, I caught this thread ridiculously late. Lawrie, I'd just like to say thanks, and that I agree with all of your previous comments on this thread.
@seanbagley
nhall

Post by nhall »

Christopher Walken said it best:

"Hey, you're talkin to my guy(s) all wrong, it's the wrong tone.... Do it again, and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron"

:D

Cheers,
Nick
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Plan 9 from outer Space should be on the list of ones to watch, even with all the campiness of the film there is lots to learn from it.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I enjoyed reading this thread again. Even learnt a few things second time around!

Remember when we were swamped by Truggy's films every day? And every day he'd say "We actually tried this time", and every day we'd say "But, you made it in an afternoon...?". Good times... good times... :?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Hahaha! Oh man... I remember that, but to be perfectly honest, I still have nearly all Truggy's films and watch them out of my own enjoyment from time to time.
@seanbagley
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What happened to the NaziSentry?
Tommo.S

Post by Tommo.S »

Lol this forum more controversial and perhaps random than the Da Vinci Code itself….

I agree with Lawriejaffa, only my film, Chloe the Dog is excluded from the 'sux' list ok? lol

But I think a lot of young people that are exploring filmmaking come to websites like these to learn more from those experienced filmmakers. Who knows the knowledge u share, could be knowledge ur sharing with the next Spielberg! We all got to start somewhere, cr** films happen, and it’s just making those improvements to make the next one better. I haven’t seen many member films, so I can’t comment on them, but I believe in my opinion a lot of them are from young people, so there’s nothing wrong with their films, criticism is good because it gives them the opportunity to expand their horizons. :P

lol anyways that my opinion :D