The Insomniac FULL FILM DOWNLOAD

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The Insomniac FULL FILM DOWNLOAD

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yup, we finally finished a movie. This is one that we'd like to take around to local festivals, as well as enter it into IFC's Media Lab competition. It's simplistic, I'm not going to lie - just a guy who can't get any sleep, that realizes that being an insomniac isn't as bad as it's cracked up to be (provided you sleep during the day :P) Since the last version, I cut a considerable amount of fat off of the whole thing, eliminating most of the unnecessary "driving" shots, getting it down to a little under six minutes in length.

Thankfully, my sister's boyfriend's band makes some great music, and gladly provided the song for this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1fYc8eWwEA

Watch and tell me what you think!
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: The Insomniac FULL FILM DOWNLOAD

Post by Kentertainment »

The way you piece your films together is just beautiful. Great Job and that really is some great music, I'm starting to get into scoring for my own films now and would always like something just like that.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: The Insomniac FULL FILM DOWNLOAD

Post by SgtPadrino »

Thanks Kenny :)

I just feel lucky that we basically have a pool of music to draw from, as their music is pretty damned diverse.
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

That was really nicely done, the song is beautiful and fits the couture of the entire movie very well. Maybe you should have put more shoot of the city so people who watch it see that the city is beautiful during the night and also maybe you should have done that the main guy is being mugged or something so that represents that it is beautiful but it is also very dangerous.

I was really touched by the movie because I had some sleeping problems I would sleep during the day and be awake during the night fun times bit dangerous but fun times. :D
[url=http://www.mfbb.net/mongoloidbitche/mongoloidbitche.html][img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6712/mbgif2mq0.gif[/img][/url]
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

That was great...the music fit the feel of the movie really well. I liked that shot of dollying past an isle in the market. Well done.
freed

Post by freed »

You started off with something that could be a good idea and with effort could have been a good film, but all you produced was a short film with no plot that seemed like a 5 minute music video of random shots, that didn't really show anything. And anything that caught my interest wasn't enough because it ended.

Maybe if youtook more time to devolp more dialogue and more to the charector or the film it'self, you'd have something far more intruiging, but this music video wasn't anything special. Just a random attempt, the only thing that stops it falling flat is the music, which becomes annoying after the 4th minute of your flat montage.

1/10
Sgtpadrino doesn't pose topless on public forums like a bellend.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Seeing your name on the last post just makes me so anxious to see what you hate this time :P

Originally, yes this was going to a larger production, but with college coming next year and me paying every cent of the tuition, I couldn't spare much to get the lighting, sound, and camera equipment. And because I'm paying every cent, I've been working forty hour weeks just about all summer - not much spare time to complete the script we wanted to write.

So we took what we had, shot a last scene, got the music and threw up a hail mary. Hopefully it'll pay off somewhat in the end.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

There is just black for 12 seconds at the start before it fades in, then it has some guy getting out of bed.
You should make it alot more detailed to why he cant sleep rather than just having him call someone and tell them that he cant. There are some angles to where it is just black then the car light turns on, have the black for under 1 second. The shot going across the supermarket was really good, but it should have gone until it went back behind the other row of supermarket junk, lol. Now it just looks like random footage put together. I cant understand why hes getting confused at the ATM. The side shot of the ATM didnt time in with the other one. Its got like really sad music, like im kinda insomniatic (lol i really dont know words) but i find it boring, you cant sleep, cant do nothing untill you merely fall to sleep standing up. The shot of the tattoo parlor goes for too long, you like sit here waiting for the next angle, then he comes back out of the subway or toilates or what ever it is. Then there is yet another random angle. CUT MORE ANGLES DOWN, THEY GO FOR TOO LONG. Try filming during the day then playing around with the colors and levels in premiere or what ever your using, because you can see whats going on in that case. I cant read whats on that shop. OMG IT FINISHED, WTF????
Overall, i hated it, it needed to fit into each other, and as you said he sleeps during the day, why not put that in there rather than just having 1000000 angles that do nothing for each other. And wats with the song, its depressing and has nothing to do with the movie what so ever. It looks like u spent forever making that movie, but you didnt take the time to think of how things are going to fit in with each other and that u cant see wats going on for half of it. Then its just pretty much the same footage put back in, seriously, that was bad. Like yeah, my movies are bad but they havent yet sunken that low, and i know how to fit the angles in together to make you notice that hes walking to the same place, and i did that over a year ago, when i barely knew a thing.
Sorry if that sounded mean, but that was really bad. I totally agree with freed on this one.
Hide or fight for your life?
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

rhys wrote:You should make it alot more detailed to why he cant sleep rather than just having him call someone and tell them that he cant.
Thats now the point of the movie it is a short movie about what this guy see at night not if he is a luntic on drugs or something.
rhys wrote:Like yeah, my movies are bad but they havent yet sunken that low
Kid you go as looooooowww as they can goooooo looooooww belive me.
rhys wrote:when i barely knew a thing.
With all the clips you have done it looks like you still dont know a thing.[/quote]
[url=http://www.mfbb.net/mongoloidbitche/mongoloidbitche.html][img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6712/mbgif2mq0.gif[/img][/url]
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Thats just rude, the only movies i have on youtube are fight scenes and a couple of effects tests. So overall, that has nothing to do with my film skills. Except for fights, but thats not the point.
Look you have no reason to be angry at me so can you please shut up.
Kid you go as looooooowww as they can goooooo looooooww belive me.
Uh, why would i take advice from some one who has just joined, thinks he owns the site and hasnt yet posted a movie.
Hide or fight for your life?
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

I just don’t think that a 10 year old kid ( I don’t know how old are you) can go on an dish a good movie just because you don’t see any blood and guts here, I understand your still a kid and you watched movies that you think are cool like Van Helsing or Resident Evil. When you get older you’ll see that not everything is in violence, this movie is great it really tells what it is like to be an insomniac (believe me I now).
Btw I have a whole bunch of clip that I done with a webcam and there are still better then what you produced, but I not going around posting them saying "look my new training or fight scene look how cool it”. Ill post a movie when I think it is really done and it is worth everyone's time to watch it.
And listen I not going to argue with you in this topic because the mods will lock and I really like this movie.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

It's been a long goddamn day, and I don't feel like being the nice guy right now.

rhys, your attention span is not my goddamn f*** problem. You say you haven't sunk to my level? You can't even set up a goddamn shot to look like another wannabe filmmaker eleven year old didn't just grab his mom's video camera, stuck it on a tripod and called it a day.

Try filming during the day? Are you retarded? It takes place at night. I've been doing this long enough to know that day-for-night looks like s***, even in a big budget movie. Anybody with half a brain and more than twelve minutes experience making movies can tell you that.
It looks like u spent forever making that movie
Once again, are you retarded? We spent a grand total of four goddamn hours on it. A guy can't sleep. He wanders around, trying to find something to do that would assuage his boredom. Finally, he relaxes, enjoys the night, and falls asleep.

The tattoo parlor is down those stairs. He walks back up the stairs because the parlor is closed. Jesus if I'd have known there'd be viewers that can't exercise a little perception I would have put subtitles spelling it out for you. And I don't have a goddamn clue as to what the hell you're talking about when you say the music is depressing.

Show me at least one movie that proves that you aren't just another dipstick kid that jacks off to Resident Evil and I might consider taking your bullshit seriously.

In any case, djokicko I'm glad you enjoyed it.
freed

Post by freed »

rhys has no film skills and his mother is probably a whore. Nuff said kid.
Sgtpadrino doesn't pose topless on public forums like a bellend.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Lets stop the flaming gentlemen. ;)

Overall, a pretty good attempt. Some of the cuts and shots seemed a little bit awkward, but oh well, it can be overlooked. And I would have loved to see this attempted with the effort focused on lighting.

Just so you know, DFN can work well. You just gotta know how to do it.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

SgtPadrino wrote: djokicko I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Your wellcome dude :D
rhys has no film skills and his mother is probably a whore. Nuff said kid.
Ouu ok freed thats was kinda two much.Make fun of his film makeing skills but dont go on his mom he is still a kid and the mods will lock the thread.
Just so you know, DFN can work well. You just gotta know how to do it
Yeah DFN can be handy pretty well but for this moive i think that he made a good chooise(i dont think a spelled it right :lol: ).It wouldent give you the same felling if you know what i mean.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

You have a beautiful way of framing shots, and I have to say your overall cinematography is excellent, especially for using only natural lighting. This is this reason that I never get bored watching your work, however I did find this just a little anti-climactic. Despite looking pretty there was no real reason to watch it. Personally I would have taken it to a darker place, show his night degenerating to more desperate acts of stimulation, from there you could have done two things: Kept your original ending, but in doing so carrying a more powerful message, or (in a much darker twist) have him fall asleep behind the wheel of his car and leave it on a cliff-hanger type ending. I dunno' just what came to mind when I watched it. Great work though, keep it up!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I liked that. I liked it alot. And, as someone who writes alot of short films I HATE it when people complain about no plot twists or tieing it up at the end....Its a short film. Theyre not all supposed to be like that. I like an open ended visual based short film.

This has almost inspired me to do an insomnia related film. I would have maybe had narration in a few places, but i wouldnt have changed much. One idea that i thought would be good for this film would be to show clocks. In the grocery store scene for example, i love that panning shot by the way, but somewhere, maybe at the end of an aisle that we see, you show a clock. And throughout the movie, you show other clocks at banks, belltowers etc. each of them getting progressively later. It would be nice to show all these different scenes in a continous pan as well.

We pan by him in the store seeing a clock reading 2:30am. We pan by as hes walking into his car in the background there is a belltower at 3:00am. We pan by him getting money from the ATM the digital clock reads 4:45am. Something like that. I dunno what you think of that, but still, overall this was a good film. There one or two spots where it was hard to see, but didnt bother me too much. And by the way, I definitely dont mind a long continous shot at one angle. You watch a Kubrick film, and youll see a scene at one angle for a good 10 minutes sometimes. As long as the shot is setup well and focusing on something interesting you can get away with it. Good job.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Oh now this is a difficult film to review, because it is a rather subjective experience!

While I understand there is a rather hostile tone in this forum, based on the inexperienced Rhys giving negative commentary, I would like to remind you SgtPadrino, that one should consider the opinion of youth/naivity, (as for anyones film or market, they will make up a proportion of the audience.)

Needless to say, those comments that are naive (who-ever makes them) do appear so to more experienced filmmakers and really don't need slammed too heavily!

Okay, so for this film, I agree the shots are interesting, much of it is effective at conveying a sense of emotional momentum (this is a feeling created more so by the music though than any particularly provocative shots.) We do get a feeling that our character cannot sleep, due to introspection, (perhaps for some emotional event.) Again we are not lent to imagine this based on him pondering over the photo of an ended romance... we are instead left with the 'new romantic/sad ballad type music' which presses this idea onto us.

In this regard, the imagery is falling behind the music, for while the shots are nicely framed (as one says - tho again its so subjective why do we bother saying) I do think more importantly that there is very little imagery that is 'relevant' to the films message.

It is not enough to say he is simply a guy who cannot sleep, (that may be your synopsis) but its meaning and undercurrent is not represented to its potential in the film.

That said, it begins in a manner I felt was really promising, but it is not the first short film to cut and cut again with its protaganist over the kitchen sink!

The shots, in the dark, while obviously appropriate for the setting, does become a little tiresome in part, perhaps because it is darker and there is less for us to see/ or be engaged with.

Overall I feel much of this film was technically competent, but what it really lacked was a sense of purpose and direction, and i feel this is the precise result of the small amount of time that was invested in its production.

I would like to add, that I think your talented Padrino, and i always appreciate your own critiques on my work, but i would rather you spent more time on future on your next project. Its not enuf to say to justify mediocrity by citing the short time one had to make it, on the contrary, you should expect and demand the best of your work, for audiences demand nothing less themselves from their entertainment :)
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Thanks Lawrie, for some great advice, and Mr. Anderson, for a little encouragement.

Right now, we're trying to decide between taking a second shot at the mockumentary genre, or to develop another idea that basically deals with how much it sucks to work in the service industry (ostensibly, by making it a robbery movie :))

Our original plan for the music was some slow jazz piano, just showing how it feels to stay up all night. But that's not what we got, even though I think that in the end it fit well enough.

I'm starting to buy more equipment, such as lighting and sound equipment, as well as a camera crane (around 500 dollars worth of stuff - another month's worth of paychecks and I'll have it,) and we're going to put more stock in script writing and pre-planning. I'm hoping it'll pay off, but you never know what could happen :P
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Yeah, it was OK, some brilliant shots that were perfect, It did get a tad boring, but actualy I thought it was still pretty good.
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

SgtPadrino wrote:Thanks Lawrie, for some great advice:P
You know, some people on this site are so ridicously (oh hey, I've spelt that wrong! Very wrong!) mature, it's funny. Lawrie is so excellent at giving advice, seriously, he's harsh, but he's great. I hate people who just say things suck and thats it (I suppose that's a bit rich though, coming from me, of all people!)