"In The Clear" Full Film Download!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks again all, the costumes probably ran to about $250 each I assume, not counting the boots and weaponry. As far as the sound, I plan on revising and rerendering the whole smash sometime this week. Thanks again!
@seanbagley
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

Looked decent alright. The costumes were great, though I really doubt a real pilot would of wore a rig like that. For an low budget war film, it was good though I would have liked to at least seen a humvee somewhere. Out of curiosity, have any of the actors ever been if a semi-serious film (such as this) before. It just came across to me that the staleness in their voice came from being uncomfortable around the camera. Anyhow, I look forward to your future endeavors! Oh yeah, one other thing. Skip the blank firing only rifles and just save up for the real thing. I've assembled a M16A2 clone (minus the three rd. burst) for just over $600. Might be twice as expensive, but it will save you lots of time and money later. Plus, if you like shooting firearms at all, you just got yourself a nice rifle
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I thought the movie was really good! I loved the opening credits, nice shots and acting.
Keep up the good work!
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

I liked it. But what's with the shaking at the starting(no tripod)? GREAT work overall :)
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

Hey Nba185 is an action cam, its supposed to shake when you move cos your not gonna stay still when some guy fires at ya, and it adds realism and an atmosphere, they use it in all the great war films
Last edited by a.qotsa.fan on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol not all the great war films a.gotsa but certainly a lot of the contempory ones :)
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Bocca wrote:
And I also got a little confused, I was sure that at the beginning of the film the white car picked up the two US soldiers, but then the same car came back at them after the car chase with the bad guys in.
About the car. (It was mine, piece of junk too, died shortly aftere filming.) We were gonna use a different one for the end but I couldn't fix it in time so we had to fall back on the same car again.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

unfortunate, but hey lifs a b**ch
you couldn't notice it too much though so i wouldn't worry
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

Lawriejaffa wrote:lol not all the great war films a.gotsa but certainly a lot of the contempory ones :)

hey man its qotsa, as in queens of the stone age the band i love them , just thought i would let u know
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

That was great! Boy howdy does that look like film or what. Great loaction/s, great weapons, great sound fx, great story, great music, amazing outfits, pretty good acting and absolutely amazing cinematography and editing.

This piece was extremely well edited and shot. May i ask what camera did you use? I only have a couple of petty problems: People have already mentioned the audio... and also maybe on some of the shots, you could lower the exposure just a tad (not unless thats what you were going for). That are the only bad points (in my opinion) which is outstanding.

Great job mate, keep it up and i am looking very forward to seeing any of your upcoming stuff.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

ooo, i also love the anamorphic format and you should make a promotional trailer :)
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

First off, the camerawork and editing were beautiful. The cuts were perfect, some of them just couldn't have been better. Most of the music had the right cinematic feel and fit in quite well too.

My only issue, and its already been mentioned a little, was the acting. It was very dry and distant. There wasnt any standout performances. Like Delta Echo said, it may have been that some of the actors hadnt been part of a more serious, dramatic type film and it was somewhat awkward for them. Direction was great, if the actors pull out more emotion...it'll be perfect. Still, all in all, good job.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ya Gyro, i mean really its a good enough movie, i think the biggest crit from me personally is that you just need to look for your own artistic voice. Its amazing you can imitate some of the elements in big budget films, and thats whats impressing a lot of the guys here.

But your talent goes beyond that i think. What i reckon is that if you engage your very own artistic voice, and intellect, in a way that goes beyond 'movies' of the hollywood war stereotype, or the thriller tv series etc etc, then you can create something truelly original and individual.

Sure it might not be appreciated on say matts forum (no offence guys) but it could be a good portfolio element for uni apps, and more importantly, as a form of self expression and maturity, make your work more relevant to audiences outside this genre.

Now if what ive said is inappropriate, (i.e. your fine just doing amatuer stuff for forums, or just makin stuff from the action genres u love - then forget my comment!)

But otherwise take it as advice to take - a step forward as it were into being 'your own' filmmaker. :)
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I agree completely Lawriejaffa. You can easily see that Gyro has a clear vision for what he wants on film. And breaking past the standards and cliches of movies and adding your own artistic voice to a genre is what counts, explosions are cool...but if you've seen one, you've seen'em all.

"Munich" for example i think adds a deeper perspective to the "revenge" movie. Characters question what they are doing, and in the end its not clear if any conflict has been resolved or even if justice was done. These unique visions are why spielberg is one of the greats. But yeah Gyro, your movies have really been some of the most impressing on here. Seeing a trailer of "Forgotten" way back is what attracted me to join Matthawkins actually. So I agree, and it sounds like Lawriejaffa probably knows more what hes talking about than most, hes given some good advice you should follow(advice i will keep in mind as well).
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Headless_Duck_Productions

Post by Headless_Duck_Productions »

It was a very good film. For such a small budget it looked great. Some stuff was a little cheesy like the acting and terrorists and cars but other than that it was well done. I liked the music even though it was a little over the top. Good job.
Gino

Post by Gino »

i really liked that shot, when the soldier fires his gun and the camera whips over to see the enemy drop in the distance.. Pretty good movie I'd say, other than the audio and the memorial ending was a bit much
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

It looks like a real film :)

LOVE IT
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Great film and a great job making it as well. I was honest when it came to Matt's film Shattered so I'll give you my thoughts.

I know you're re-rendering it so take it into consideration.

At minute mark 1:31 you've got a post-production inserted muzzle flash that goes out of frame.

I also know that the exposure/glow effect was added in post to keep the enormous Rocky Mountains out of the shots but there are some places you added it where you don't need it or you just don't need much of it. At mark 2:37 it just seems too much against the building, mark 4:49 same applies, it just seems way to bright.

Other than this, pretty much everyone else has covered it and I really enjoyed the film. Great job! Looking foreward to helping with your next project.

DON'T KILL ME
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Relax Kenny, thanks for the advice.
@seanbagley
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Just watched it.

I have to admit I got all giddy hearing all my perfectly edited soundeffects coming into to play. :P

Story was good it kept me interested, editing was hit and miss in some places. Camera work was amazing, except some of the shakyness in the battle scenes just seemed way too faked. Music choices were great except for the We Were Soldiers blasting away. Audio was bad: wind didn't help much. Maybe for Rains of April or Prevention or whatever the hell is next: get like a piece of poster board and hold it where the wind is blowing into the mic. Of course making sure that it doesn't block lighting. I did have some problems with the sound effects, like in the beginning hearing a nice slicing gun impact with a person yelling: yet no one being hit. Or from the We Were Soldiers soundpack the bullet gits sound, yet no one was getting hit. Also I kept hearing RPG's flying around. Colors in the movie were amazing: over exposed was really the best way to go. I didn't mind the memorial ending, my only problem was the color correction in it, I was really hoping to see lush colors rather than a sepia kind of look. Muzzle flashes were kinda crappy, I think you should have just taken them out altogether, or used like small lense flares or something: they looked way too hard. Also the guys not really reacting to firing the weapons didn't help either :P . Acting was fine, the actors looked old enough. Uniforms were great, the overall scope of the film is really the impressive part.

Overall excellent film!

On another note: if you care. I just finished up a Saints & Soldiers soundpack, working on BLACK (the game: it has really amazing gun sounds) and finishing up a Taegukgi soundpack. They should be up maybe by the end of the month. :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks again everyone for all of the advice/criticism. Hopefully this film will continue to do well. Thanks again, especially for viewing.
@seanbagley
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

I am suprised that nobody mentioned this (well I dont think they did, I got tired after reading 45 posts) but there was no gun recoil. toward the end (around, maybe a bit before, the guy got hit in the leg, there were a few shots of the soldiers firing. The guns hardly moved and some of the sounds were a bit late.

But other than that I really liked it. and the costumes were excellent. that and everything else everyone else said. tell us if you win an award
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I was looking around the Member's Films forum when I saw 'Full Film Download', then I looked across saw Gyro made it and I went O_O 'if Gyro made it, it's gotta be good!' It wasn't good, but great. I liked it, great job dude.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

jackbauer24 wrote:I am suprised that nobody mentioned this (well I dont think they did, I got tired after reading 45 posts) but there was no gun recoil. toward the end (around, maybe a bit before, the guy got hit in the leg, there were a few shots of the soldiers firing. The guns hardly moved and some of the sounds were a bit late.
Actually the M-4 has little to no recoil if you are shooting a single shot at a time. On fully auto it will twitch a bit but thats about it.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Jesus theres so many gear queens on this forum lol, all military 'experts' of different sorts!

Who cares lol! Sure its vital to try and be as accurate as possible, but given nobody seems to criticise anything relevant to whether the film (or most war movies here) is narratively, or performance wise succesfull, engaging, original! lo