The Giver

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Buffalob07

The Giver

Post by Buffalob07 »

ASAP Films has just completed a new video called The Giver. It's based on the book by Lois Lowery. It was a project done for an English class, so it wasn't a major endeavor or anything. But I figured I'd post it and let people comment, and tell us what they think. Thanks!
http://www.asapfilms.com/videos/giver1.wmv
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: The Giver

Post by ipon70 »

I hope you got a freaking A for that. Very nice, didn't understand it, but I thoroughly loved it. I liked the imagery, I liked that music score with it, I liked the VO.

Very nice work man, very nice work.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Bodysnatcher
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: The Giver

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Outstanding! that was very well done indeed! as Nova said, hope you got top marks!!
Buffalob07

Post by Buffalob07 »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. My friend Sam is actually the one who made the video, and pretty much does everything. I don't know if you guys know about our website or not, but if you feel like checking out the other stuff, it's www.asapfilms.com there's tons of other videos as well, so if you're ever bored....
Amatuer Screenplays, Amatuer Productions
www.asapfilms.com
ChemicalShamanII

Post by ChemicalShamanII »

Wow, as always im really blown away by your work.

Amazing stuff, im impressed by everything asap has released thus far.

As a side note, the girl used in this film....... really beautiful. What an incredible smile. Just thought i'd comment on that.

Great stuff man, keep up the good work asap guys.

CS
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I didn't understand it but I still thought it was brilliant! If was just perfectly made and for some reason...inspiring.
Bodysnatcher
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Bodysnatcher »

There is a lot to be said to taking an established book and converting it to the screen. any other projects in the pipe line ASAP?
http://www.freewebs.com/bodysnatcher-productions
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Hey, great job on this. I showed this to my mom who is an elementary school teacher. Her class just finished reading The Giver, she was wondering if it was okay with you to use this in the classroom.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

How did he get the music, did he buy it or make it?
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Damn. That was fantastic. Really makes me want to read the book now, even though ive never heard of it. The direction couldnt have been better. Great work. And yes i agree, the girl was gorgeous.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

Hey everyone, wow James (buffalob07) there is a lot of good feedback on the video (and my girlfriend)!!! Im glad everyone seemed to like it. As for the teacher question, by all means, feel free to show it in your moms class, no problem! This video is one of the ones I am sending into an annual film festival (Young Cuts). Anyways, thanks for the awesome feedback everyone, and yes, Jessi is beautiful! :)
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
Amateur Screenplays, Amateur Productions
snowfunmagee

Post by snowfunmagee »

haha..i was the girl in the movie. YAY! I hope you all liked The Giver movie. I thought my part was pretty weird though. lol
"Every mortal dies. Today or fifty
years from now, what does it matter in the face of eternity?"

~TROY
Gino

Post by Gino »

very well done. didn't make any sense to me but i still enjoyed it. I dont think i want to know how you got that dead cat though.
what state do you live in?
Buffalob07

Post by Buffalob07 »

We live in NY, close to Rochester.
Amatuer Screenplays, Amatuer Productions
www.asapfilms.com
ChemicalShamanII

Post by ChemicalShamanII »

DEDFX wrote:How did he get the music, did he buy it or make it?
Learn to read credits. They're there for a reason.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

...... so did he make it or not.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

No, it tells you that in the credits, if I remember a few of them were from gladiator.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

wicked dude

was that a real dead cat, i thought you must be pretty sick to get a close up of a dead cats gob, only bad comment, other than that sweet work

might aswell comment on the girl also....wow.....damm you
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

hey great, theres actually a girl on this site now! Bout time. Jessi, feel free to put any input into anyones script with female dialogue. I wont name names but...could use changes. lol. And yes, the music was good. Cant go wrong with Hans Zimmer. I've been meaning to pick up the orchestral soundtrack to The Last Samurai. He did Tears of the Sun as well, probably another good soundtrack.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
snowfunmagee

Post by snowfunmagee »

Gino wrote:very well done. didn't make any sense to me but i still enjoyed it. I dont think i want to know how you got that dead cat though.
what state do you live in?
the cat was actually found on the side of the road by sam's house..but the kitty took its revenge from us filming it and the camera used to film later broke. oops....
"Every mortal dies. Today or fifty
years from now, what does it matter in the face of eternity?"

~TROY
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

The soundtrack is really important but Im surprised that it came out so well... I put it together last minute the morning it was due... Anyways, I am going through that video and fixing the audio levels for some of the voice overs and also shortening it a little. Either that or I am going to add more voice overs and try to give a better background to the story so that people know more of what's going on... Anyways thanks for the feedback! Always love feedback.
As for the dead cat. I originally went to www.rotten.com and got a ton of terrible disgusting pictures that I was going to put into a montage for that scene but I got so freaked out by the pictures that I couldn't use them... Instead, I noticed a dead cat on the way home one day and just decided to get a few shots of it... It wasnt as freaky as the first montage but it worked...
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

I liked it, but I didn't like the baby thing going on. It was really good though nice job.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Thought it was really damn good. Never thought you could mix Equlibrium and V for Vendetta so well on such a tight budget :P
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

that was really good. i read the book a few years ago and so i sort of understood it. but for some reason it stopped working when Jonas was on top of the mountain with his hands up.

And i have a question. in that scene (right before the dead cat) it shows the road and water (i think it is) being sprayed really fast. i didnt really get that. did you just take a hose and spray water and FF it?

overall it was excellent. i really liked the part when he first takes the pill and you see the girls reflection. it was cool
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

Thanks for your feedback! The road scene was more a spur of the moment thing. But there was no trick to it. Basically it was just a windy day and the little bit of snow that was falling started blowing down the road. It just looked cool so I filmed it.
You guys can see more of our stuff on www.asapfilms.com
thanks
Sam
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com