Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blank guns

Post by rhys »

Hey,
I was wondering where i can get blank guns or high quality cap guns in Australia for under $100 each?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Hey i have found this really cool website for replica weapons and toy guns etc and it has the tomb raider gun for $15us and it ships world wide.

Here is the site:
http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/mercha ... rsoft-Guns
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

yeah that sites highly known to people who need toy guns for their movies try this also http://www.toyarsenal.com/Merchant2/mer ... ode=toy500
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You can find numerous blank only firearms on eBay. Often real guns are blank adapted and used in productions too.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blank guns

Post by rhys »

And do all of these places ship to Australia and are perfectly legal as well?
Sayhi

RE: Blank guns

Post by Sayhi »

Blank guns are expensive...why don't you try using BB guns and adding muzzle flash and gunsshot sounds from your video editing application?It's just as good and you won't wake up the entire city population everytime you want someone to shoot a gun in your movie.You could find a real-looking BB gun for less than $50,you also don't need to buy ammo.

PS If you purchase a blank gun DO NOT fire it at someone from a very close distance,there's a chance they will get hurt because of the high air velocity
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

can air hurt someone?

have to be looking down the barrel to cause any serious damage
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

You would think,but people have actually died from blank guns...

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mblanks.html

=====

Blanks can be dangerous under some circumstances. For one thing, the exploding gunpowder produces a focused blast of air and gas that can leave the barrel of the weapon with great force--think of it as a small, directional bomb going off. Though the blast disperses quickly in the open air, at close range there can be a lot of destructive energy.

The unfortunate showbiz personality you're thinking of is probably Jon-Erik Hexum, a star of the early 1980s series "Cover Up." For reasons that have never been made clear, on October 18, 1984, the 26-year-old Hexum took a .44 Magnum revolver loaded with blanks, pressed the barrel to his head, and fired a single shot. When Dirty Harry Callahan extolled the power of the .44 Magnum, he wasn't exaggerating--as the owner of a .44 Magnum myself, I can attest that the recoil and concussion from firing it are impressive. In the case of Mr. Hexum, the force of the blast alone shattered his skull and badly injured his brain, killing him shortly thereafter.
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

QUOTE from http://www.communitytheater.org/article ... nStage.htm
=====
Actor Michael Massee, who played Funboy, fired a revolver loaded with blanks at Lee. To complete the illusion, a small explosive charge was to go off in the grocery bag. Unfortunately, a fragment of a dummy bullet, used earlier in close-up shots, was lodged in the barrel, and the blank charge propelled the fragment into Lee's side, fatally wounding him." (refers to the death of Brandon Lee in the film The Crow)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Good blank guns are the same design as live weapons, but unable to project a bullet. It's still gunpowder and still goes BANG! Almost all hollywood blank guns are converted real weapons.

The reason filmmakers desire firing weapons over toy weapons, is for the realistic flash, recoil, bullet casing, and sound. For one, it really is impossible to recreate casing ejection on a toy. Post production muzzle flashes only really work when it is outdoors and very sunny. Real flashes are very bright.

Figure I've been peppered with gunpowder whiile firing a rifle before. Imagine if you were on the front end of it, you could be mortally wounded or killed. In reenacting, we try to keep the minimum distance at 20 feet. Discharging a blank at point-blank range is dangerous. ALSO, Never Ever use wood-bullet blanks. Even though they say the wood desintegrates in the the barrel, there have been cases where it projected out and had drastic consequences. Anything that can fly out is potentially as dangerous as a lead slug. Always use crimped casings or wax tipped rounds.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blank guns

Post by rhys »

I have been on a couple of websites where it says that all of the blank guns have had the end blocked with a small inner red cap in regulation with american laws. The point-blank firing is one of the dombest things you could do, even with a cap gun or airsoft or anything that does anything for that matter (besides and expty cap gun or airsoft, etc.) Its like on a tv show i saw not long ago, they used a real gun and put blanks into it, but a guy replaced the rounds with live ammunition, and he was killed in rehersal. I think that you should always use a blank gun and not a gun that has been adjusted to fire live ammunition to the risks that are being taken.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The problem with the plugged end guns are obvious from the start. No flash! Also they probably use the smaller 8mm caps, which aren't as desirable but still make a decent BANG. For example KIMAR makes those kinds of blank guns. They're crapy guns too. Sometimes the safety on those don't even work! :P Also because the barrel is blocked, the gas escapes out the top of the gun... like if that makes you feel any safer!!

Modified real guns cannot project a live round if properly adapted. In order for the gas to push back the bolt (and make it semi-automatic) it has to have a smaller apature applied. Use a live round and it'll blow the weapon up in your face. Even using too small an apature may crack the chamber.

Real guns AND blank guns aren't toys. Learn how to use them, clean them, respect them, and nothing bad will happen.
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

When shooting indoors in a scene where a gun is fired you could just brigten the frames that have the muzzle flash and gun sound effect so that it seems more realistic. Casing ejection is really tricky and requires a lot of work with a 3D animation program. You have to create a 3D scene with bullets flying in the right direction and a green background which you will later remove bby chroma keying. I have seen it somewhere on the internet and it looks pretty good but it's a lot of work for sth so small. The real thing (blank guns) is a lot easier but more dangerous and expensive.

PS It's also dangerous to fire blanks in places with houses nearby...people may get worried and call the police,thinking that the gunshots are coming from a real weapon
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well... it pretty much is coming from a real weapon! What are the cops going to do? Arrest you for discharging a blank in your own house? Just don't do anything like that during the night, or you may get cited for making too much noise and disrupting neighbors after lights-out.

I'd say the biggest problem is how can you fire guns in your house without the actors going deaf? :) I've tried the whole lighting frame trick and faked bullet casing. before. It just doesn't sell it like a real weapon. You're right though, it's a hella lotta work for something that is tough to pull off. Blanks aren't really that expensive either.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/mercha ... softoyguns

o for the love of god, why have i only just heard about this website, i could of brought some great stuff
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Ive seen videos of real guns being fired, machine guns and a handgun, and none of them seem to have a good muzzle flash, they all look like a bit of smoke pushed out the end and thats about it why is this?
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; my memory is very hazy. A bullet is propelled out of the barrel of a gun by rapidly expanding gas from the explosion of the ignited gunpowder.

Because there is a projectile leaving the weapon (and blocking the barrel of the gun while the explosion occurs,) you see the gas and smoke escaping the muzzle and shell ejection port, rather than a huge a** muzzle flash.

And Epsilon, don't knock Kimar 'till you've used their weapons - not durable enough for reenacting or tossing to yourself around the house, but realistic enough to serve as great movie props. The only time you can see the flashes is during the night or indoors, firing them in daylight you just see smoke and an ejecting shell, which is what it should look like.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

But, muzzle flashes are so pretty, :(
WHY????
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

What if the explosion was closer to the end of the gun, like a short barrel?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I'd suggest getting a black revolver cap gun, cutting the barrel very short and some sparks will come out of it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

SgtPadrino wrote:Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; my memory is very hazy. A bullet is propelled out of the barrel of a gun by rapidly expanding gas from the explosion of the ignited gunpowder.

Because there is a projectile leaving the weapon (and blocking the barrel of the gun while the explosion occurs,) you see the gas and smoke escaping the muzzle and shell ejection port, rather than a huge a** muzzle flash.

And Epsilon, don't knock Kimar 'till you've used their weapons - not durable enough for reenacting or tossing to yourself around the house, but realistic enough to serve as great movie props. The only time you can see the flashes is during the night or indoors, firing them in daylight you just see smoke and an ejecting shell, which is what it should look like.
As far as flashes go, I usually do see huge a** flashes especially in rifles it can emit over a foot long consistantly. Fire a machine gun at night and it'll light up the scene like daytime! I don't often see daytime flashes with supressors on the end, but open ended weapons yes!

I have used Kimar weapons before and I still think they are crapy. :lol:

The reason most home videos don't have a clear flashes is because the flash is there only for a fraction of a second and the shutter speed is so fast it is missed. When shooting 24fps and a lot slower shutter speed And using extremely hot blanks, filmmakers can get more consistant flashes caught on film.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

for Scarface they hooked up a cable from the trigger of the machine guns for the ending scene, so whenever the flashes went off the shutter worked and it caught all the flashes. something like that
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Thank god for the flashes.
Hide or fight for your life?
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

hey just a quick question... since i am making a WW2 film (and i all most have the $15000 i need) i am planning to use gas blowbacvk airsoft instead of blanks... do you guys know of a big movie or just a regular in that was in theatres that used post-pro muzzle flashes and 3dshells?
thanks
zac
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927