guns in public

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bangoker

Post by bangoker »

well, perhaps in a low-traffic residential area, you cuould tell the neighbors and buy some "do not cross" ask the neibors for permission and sourrond the "set" with the tape. Plus place a lot of BIG "Filming in Progress, no real guns" (or something like that ) and be sure that the posters are visible from all points and at a distance.

AND if you think a police officer could pass by that area, call the police for their permission, and if they say no, well, then no is no.
Curts

Post by Curts »

I didnt read all the replies to this thread, so perhaps this has already been sugested. I was thinking the same thing, "what if?". So this is what I would do.

Make those stupid signs, in the shape of an 'A' that say something like, "Movie filming in process" or something, that could placed at the end of the streets. Make it noticble, but not noticible for the camera. I'd also contact some sort of law enforcment official to be on the scene, just incase something does go down. Depending on how your going to get this filmed plays a roll in it to. Is the filmer going to be filming long lens from a distance? Or is he/they going to be in front of you, behind, etc etc? I think people will get the idea that its fake if they spot the signs, spot the camera operator, and maybe a police officer just moderating.

Or, you could try to get the road temporarly blocked off. Get random pedistrians to feel up the street, most people will do it just to 'be in a movie'.
leonwestwind

Post by leonwestwind »

Thank you "death to traitors" for setting "Sgt Padrino" straight. I've been reading this forum for a while and wanting to congratulate you stopping his crazy ranting. I think there might be a bad experience with cop issues there.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

tripods, cameras and clapper boards are a dead give away, but although you americans are lucky in the fact that your allowed to have guns to protect your civil liberties i certainly wouldnt attempt to shoot a movie over there, your police force is probably fairly good too, where as ours take an hour to turn up as there standing round a corner on a country lane trying to catch people speeding or busy arresting the indigenous population for committing thought crimes e.g. saying something "bad" about gay people or how they dont like being mugged every day on the way to work by foreigners fuelling there drug habbits.

i made a film the weekend before last and we were all dressed up in army uniform just about to do scene 1 when i heard some one shout "drop your weapons and put your gun down" which made me lay a brick in my pants at the time, but i quickly realised we were across the road from a pub filled with the local chavs and middle aged men who then burst into laughter ( little story for ya, although it seemed alot more relevant when i started writing it)

in the end you have to ask yourself is the juice worth the squeeze, apart from that guys uncle that died these posts have been realy interesting to read, i think i need a sign for my movies in future.

and put it this way alot of you would get more famous from getting shot whilst making an amatuer film than pursuing a career in the film industry, not me though I'm going all the way lol
cantoloupe

Post by cantoloupe »

oy, if you want to be safe, you could always film footage of a public area, then film closeup shots of a shootout in a private area, and then edit they well, thus making it look like ur shooting in a public street, thats just an idea.

Also, don't do anything in LA, the cops there have a nack for shooting people 47 times for pulling out a wallet,

peace
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Okay. Whoever said SgtPadrino is just ranting clearly has missed the stories where kids got shot for holding cap guns, where a cop killed someone on Halloween because their costume included a fake gun, and so forth. You screw around with guns, be they real or fake, in public and you ARE going to wind up getting shot. The Sergeant knows what he's talking about.

Old as this thread may be, it was resurrected and so I just want to make sure none of the no-budget indies get themselves killed by messing with replica weaponry in public. Don't do it, nothing any of us here are filming is worth dying over.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

he is ranting he thinks hes a living legend who has to depart his pearls of fun spoiling wisdom
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Omg. No police officer is going to open fire on some kids running across the street with toy guns. Thats ridiculous. I would suggest getting some cops to be there with you when you film...but if you cant they arent going to pull up in their car and shoot you thru the window. Unless you point the gun at them, or fire blanks they wont shoot you. Take it slow and use caution and you'll be fine.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

justin!butcher wrote:Omg. No police officer is going to open fire on some kids running across the street with toy guns. Thats ridiculous.
Google "police shoot teen/child". Read for the next four hours. Cry.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

yeah they could open fire, this is probably already mentioned but calling you local police/fire station and telling them the dillio would help.
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

okay, coming from Long Beach. They WILL. shoot. you. period. A KID IN MY FILM CLASS WAS SHOT FROM THIS EXACT THING BECAUSE SOMEONE RAN INTO THEIR HOUSE AND CALLED THE COPS AND THEY SHOWED UP. The actor didn't even have a BB gun, it was a toy gun that did not have an orange cap. he started to walk towards them to show them, the director was coming towards the cops as well. THE COPS SHOT THE ACTOR. He, luckily, did not die, but I can't stress enough the importance of letting the police know.

you CAN shoot in the street. you CAN get a permit. you CAN goto the cops and nicely, with all smiles, say you are a filmmaker and would like a permit and a policeman on set, or at least someone who can give permission.

there is money issues though for that kind of thing. you need insurance, permits, etc etc etc....
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

wow, sorry for your friend. I would always have an orange cap handy in my pocket, have clapboards around, and maybe even a cliche "director" chair near the gun site though.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

That's terrible, Bullseye, and I'm glad your buddy wasn't killed as he very easily could have been.

And now, everyone else, I think this PROVES that you can and quite possibly WILL be shot if you mess around with replicas in public. So just. Don't. Do it. Rewrite and do it safely!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

So, since some of you are so retarded as to think that police officers won't put you down for waving around weapons which they have no way to know if they're real or not, I'm ranting.

Take a squirt gun, paint it black, and point it at the next officer you see. Darwin was right - if you're that fvcking stupid, you deserve to get your dumb a** shot.

Sorry about your friend bullseye, glad nobody was killed.

If the cops roll up looking like they're ready to rock, don't hesitate and drop everything even remotely looking like a gun, put your hands up and do everything they goddamn tell you to.

Many of you have evidently never heard of Amadou Diallo, the Jamaican immigrant who was shot 47 times by 4 officers of the NYPD for pulling out his wallet.

Wait a minute, who in the hell bumps a three year old thread?
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I guess I'm a little bit more fortunate. All my neighbors know that I am deeply into filmmaking except these people that just barely moved in next door. I am filming a movie for my film studies class called, "The Next Job" (found in films section if you haven't seen it yet) and we had guns flailing everywhere. My neighbor pulls in (the one who doesn't know I like filmmaking) his driveway, gets out of his car and just looks at us. He then says, "Filming a movie, eh?" so I said yes and he just responded, "That's cool" and walked in. I just felt like saying this to show that this can easily be pulled off in a suburban area if you just let people know.
Miccy2000

Post by Miccy2000 »

Recently there were some kids shooting a film called 'Summer School.' They left a car out on the street. The car had shotgun damage in the front window, and fake blood and brains splattered on the front of the car. They were placed under arrest. If cops saw you actually WITH a gun, you would definitely be shot.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

justin!butcher wrote:Omg. No police officer is going to open fire on some kids running across the street with toy guns. Thats ridiculous. I would suggest getting some cops to be there with you when you film...but if you cant they arent going to pull up in their car and shoot you thru the window. Unless you point the gun at them, or fire blanks they wont shoot you. Take it slow and use caution and you'll be fine.
Yeah... right. lol I'm a southern californian... wierd s*** happens here. LA cops are notorious for shoot first, ask later. :shock:
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

typical americans!!, trigger happy, oh a 13yr old kid with a gun, lets shoot his a$$

we have plenty of gun scenes in public places, we have never been complained about, get dog walkers how stop and have a look, most are amazed to see teenagers doign something semi- constructive and not out assaulting people- chavs, someone british will understand

anyway, sod permits, do it because its cool
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Epsilon wrote: Yeah... right. lol I'm a southern californian... wierd s*** happens here. LA cops are notorious for shoot first, ask later. :shock:
YOu live in LA of course weird sh** happens there! :mssoldier: :wink:
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

typical americans!!, trigger happy, oh a 13yr old kid with a gun, lets shoot his a$$
Remember a few months back when London cops executed an innocent man (who had already been apprehended) because somebody called and said he was acting like a suicide bomber? He walked calmly through the subway ticket booth, was about to get on the train, when a security guard tackled him. A policeman arriving on the scene shot the apprehended man in the face because somebody said he was wearing a large coat and jumped through the booth and was running towards the train.

Honestly, just don't bother posting that kind of dumb, baseless cr**.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

not sure if i'm thinking of the same event, but

it was a brazilian lecy who failed to stop running when told to...thats why he was shot
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

ctbullet, American cops will kill anyone who's armed and appears to be dangerous, even if they are 13, because there's a history of people that young going on killing sprees.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here now. Anyone who has read all the cautions in this thread and still decides to brandish guns in public deserves whatever they get.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

guys, calm down. in february THIS YEAR we did a film with tonnes of gunfights with BB GUNS in loads of different streets and public places and nobody cared cos they could see the camera and all that and new it wasnt a real fight. i mean come on, if there are no muzzle flshes or bangs etc theyre gunna realise its fake. u should do all that in editing.
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

... i'd never think it was that dangerous over in the states! You could do a gun fight outside a police station here in the UK but they wouldnt do anything, even if they wanted to the officers arent usually armed with any lethal weapons o_O
"These are the voyages..."
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well our officers are all armed... and it's a good thing. If you think our law enforcement is bad, you should see what the gang members are like. There's a reason they're overly cautious with guns. :|