Unexpected Slay

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dennismv

Unexpected Slay

Post by dennismv »

slaying scenes is not my area of expertise, so I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to make a scene where someone is being chased, possibly jumped on and then slayed.

What I'm looking for is:
* something personal (i.e. weapon of choice is something like a knife rather than a gun, as gun is not personal as it's usually from far away)

* detached -- I don't want it to be horrific. A little blood is ok, but I want it to be spectacular and unexpected, like WHOAHHHHH. And a little bit scary. Little children should cover their eyes, while the big kids should go "wow".

Thus the main problem I have is now to make it "unexpected". There's one thought where someone's jumped on and slayed, and it's unexpected and you cannot see the face of the slayer. That's cool, but I feel it has been done. I'm looking for something new.

Anything you can suggest ?
Last edited by dennismv on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Spectacularly killing someone

Post by Epsilon »

I suggest that death should not be a spectacle. I enjoy war films and action movies, but death shouldn't really be overly glorified. Make it serious. Anybody can create a splendid splatter. The true art is making something that will tear into the hearts of the audience and drop tears.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

you're right, though I do intend to make it serious and quick. The emphasis wil not be on splatters or the like, but instead on the plot.

By spectacular I mean something that will get a reaction like "Wow, I better not mess with him", instead of "oh, he just shot a guy ... yawn..."

Thus perhaps something like one may see in a good martial arts movie. Clean and quick. I won't be making a spectacle of it. That's not my thing, really. I guess that's why I'm asking for comments too. So that I won't screw it up too bad, or so that I won't make something that's truly vile. So, thanks.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

breaking the neck is quick and clean

you can hide the face of the killer also
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Nothing screams awesome like partial decapitation...
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Stabbed in the eye?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

An egg beater. I wouldn't see that coming, plus it would shock the cr** out of me.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

get a fairly large knife and have him stab the guy and instead of withdrawing it have him wiggle it about and the guy dieing whilst he shudders on the end of knife being wriggled around inside his gut

its been done before but its still shocking and painfull to watch
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

ok chaps. this is from my film and i think it's relavent www.media.putfile.com/Roof-chase
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

An egg beater. I wouldn't see that coming, plus it would shock the cr** out of me.

LOL that or a neck snap.

jimbob those roofs are great scenery! I'd suggest maybe making the ground the city then edit it so it looks like you climbed a little thing then ended up on those roofs. I also have tht beretta and cut the end part off thinking the orange would go away but it didn't...
Last edited by DEDFX on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

FINE DONT LOOK... whoops caps is on
no-budget film making.
theChad

Re: RE: Spectacularly killing someone

Post by theChad »

film fanatic wrote:Stabbed in the eye?
I just saw that in a movie! But I won't say which one because it would ruin the movie.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
dennismv

RE: Re: RE: Spectacularly killing someone

Post by dennismv »

Thanks, there are a lot of great suggestions.

I don't want to go for gross or uncomfortable, but something like ctbullet suggested is simple & clean.

I think I'm going more for the sudden an unexpected effect.
Like someone is running, running, running, looking back, running some more. There's anticipation of something. He's scared as something is after him. Then Boom !! The slayer jumps on him out of nowhere and after a quick second all is over. All that remains is a shock.

Thus bare hands method is probably the "simplest" and barest of all the methods. That is great, but I think it's a little too great. I mean it's a little too clean. If there is a dagger involved I think things will look better, as a dagger carries a symbol of danger. Is there anything else ?
Last edited by dennismv on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Serious post this time: have the killer step out from no-where and punch him in the face as he is looking backwards at whatever he is running from. Because he's running full tilt the punch just takes him off his feet, and the killer just whips out a silenced pistol and shoots him in the chest. The key is impact, the punch has to be perfect, so hard that everyone whoe see's it knows the guy is messed up. The trick to having violence that your audience can really feel is to show something they can relate to. Most people haven't been seriously stabbed or shot, but we have all beein hit with soemthing in our lives, we can relate to getting puched. After the sudden stop to the action we would traditionally expect the killer to say something, anything but just shoot the guy outright. Fast reaction + silent killer = dehumanized character who only seems more brutal by comparison.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

these are all stupid suggestions and pointless logic circles. You are making all these suggestions without taking into consideration the rest of the movie at all.

What is the killers characterisation? What is the environment? Why is the chase happening? these are all questions that "characterize" the kill.

You dont see Beatrix run around with a samurai sword then in the next scene use a chain gun because tarentino thaught it would be "cool"

let me know what the killers character is if hes a proffessional if hes a ninja or whatever. also the environment so you can use that.

jimbob your movie reminded me of my little cousing play fighting with his friends where did that pole come from?
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

The movie itself will be very short, but the character will be known to the audience. I kinda wanted to keep it secret for surprize effect, but I guess there's no harm in describing it. Anticipation done right is stronger than surprize.

The idea: the beginning (first part) of the movie is set up as an interview. The interviewer asks 2-3 questions and slayer responds. However, the questions get more and more controversial and slayer does not like them at all. Finally, one question from the interviewer causes slayer to stand up, which is a sign that all is over. Fade Out.

Fade In. The interviewer is seen running away out of something. He's very scared, he's looking back. Suddenly Death jumps on him out of nowhere as if it was always running behind him. In a split second all is over. Fade Out.
Last edited by dennismv on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

ok well you still kinda didnt answer properly. is he dressed as death or a personification.

i guess since its death and has magical powers etc he doesnt use weapons and doesnt do the killing in itself.

I would say more that death moves you into a deadly position. So imagine the guy running down the street to a junction where death magically appears on the other side causing the guy to stop mid stride to a full stop as his eyes widen. and before they can get all the way open a car slams in the side of him because he wasnt paying attention or something like that.

You can still have a shocking effect with no gore at all you dont even need to show a wide shot you just show him getting thrown out of the shot then composite it together with a shot of a car driving by fast and put them together sound effects and reaction of the people around running to the car accident as death slowly fades away into black smoke not moving at all would present a nice juxtoposition. and all the "s[ecial effects" can be done in 10 minutes in post
Siratramus

Post by Siratramus »

The man is running, he looks over his shoulder. There is death standing perfectly still. Run run run, look. Death is the agian, but closer. (you get the idea.)

He runs into an intersection. There is a council worker with a shovel over his shoulder. running something makes a noise, council worker turns. Face meet shovel, shovel, face. dead. nose bone through brain. something like that.

Easy props, easy to shot.

I dont think death should be chasing him, he is just there.

That is my humble opionion anyway.
There is nothing more tragic than seeing your family torn apart by something a simple as a pack of wolves.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

he's not Death, he's just dressed as one. He can act a bit like Death though.
Thus I can pretty much have the character do whatever. Though he should be more human than magical.

But I like the ideas of Death not coming in touch with the victim at all.

here's a twist: show Death and then show the council worker with the showel. After the guy is hit, Death slowly disappears in smoke or otherwise. Then show the council worker again. He keeps walking as if nothing happened. He's walking away from the camera. Then he pauses, slightly turns to the camera and gives a quick evil smirk. Fade Out.
Last edited by dennismv on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

evil smerk, sounds gd,

have you figured out which killing method your going to use yet?
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

a smirk at the camera? Please!

*vomits*
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

I'm going to use the fanciest dagger I can find.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

so who liked my scene
no-budget film making.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

by the way guys you can see the film that scene is in on www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.