whats the best way

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

whats the best way

Post by britishbulldog »

i'm stuck on two aspects of a movie i'm making fairly soon, one is how to blow somone up with a grenade without actualy using anykind of explosives, is it best to use CGI ?

and secondly making it seem like 5 people have parachuted out of an aeroplane, and hitting the ground i can easily get footage of a plane taking off as i live near a small airport and can create an interior of a plane aswell but showing them in the air and then landing is proving difficult

any ideas?
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: whats the best way

Post by ctbullet »

http://www.nccinema.ch/efx01.html

great link, i've tried to do it, only fault was the camera moved with the wind but the principal is good

can you make a van door look like an aeroplane, this was brought up a while back, you can try
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: whats the best way

Post by wildstorm »

ctbullet wrote:http://www.nccinema.ch/efx01.html

great link, i've tried to do it, only fault was the camera moved with the wind but the principal is good

can you make a van door look like an aeroplane, this was brought up a while back, you can try
Marco Von Moose!! These guys are good. He released the actual first trailer of Nightcast over at FXHome.com. The movie is gonna be Kool 8)
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: whats the best way

Post by britishbulldog »

cool website but its not much help
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

Do you actually ned to show them in the air? If not then just get a cheap old army parachute from an army surplus store, and get your actor to jump off a stepladder or tall tree with an army rucksack and ropes/cord attached to the parachute which then lands on him before he gathers it up etc. If you show them just about to jump then cut straight to the landing then it should work. otherwise bluescreen or get the actor silouetted against the skyline with cords attached to something high up and then just film the top half of him against the sky.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

It might be a little corney but if you have a decent looking outfit and stuff, you could just film a closeup of the actor's face, upper torso, and hands hanging onto the cords which are tied onto something above the actor and going into whatever's serving as the parachute bag. Get as high powered a fan as possible and put it on the ground under him pointing up, and maybe move the camera or something like it's shaking. I dunno, be creative. That might spice up the jump scene a bit.

You could experiment with having the camera and fan under the actor and having him balance on his stomach on a stool or legs and hands without showing them for the part before he opens the chute. If you could do a 3D render of the plane from a bottom-up view getting smaller and moving, maybe even rotating, and could add that into the background (you can use the sky as a bluescreen)... could have yourself a very sexy scene.

You'd want some good wind sound effects for that, and you'd probably want to move the camera around unless that'd screw up the CG, and maybe do this on a cloudless day.

edit: first shot-

second shot i described-

hehe
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

LOL. But that's an awsome idea!
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

thanks for the help, much appreciated although my effects team are not that experienced and dont as yet have the know how to add in CGI planes etc but your camera shot ideas were very helpful

ok hows about the grenade ?
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

ctbullet's link is really good about that, except with no explosives, go to detonationfilms and get an explosion and key it in. there's lots of topics about that here if you search.

for the CG plane, it doesn't even need to be a 3d model, you could probably get away with a picture of the underside of a plane moving through the sky. or skip the plane, it'd just be a cool bonus.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

A grenade wouldn't blow a person up. Fragmentation grenades spew shrapnel everywhere and will put holes through you. Not even a stick hand grenade will cause that much pysical harm, although it may detach certain bodily features... Stepping on a mine would obliterate you however, as would any other close enough high explosive material. :)

Have you tried the Spielberg swivel board on the ground trick?
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

"Have you tried the Spielberg swivel board on the ground trick?"

Do tell?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It's on the special feature of SPR.

You take a board of wood, make a fulcum with a stone or something. Put the board on the stone, bury one end of the board. Then when some steps on the other side (w/o sand/dirt) it will send the stuff into the air.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

thanks for the help i shall probably use that method, as for grenades not blowing anyone up in spoof action films they certainly do although this guy comes back later on with a half burnt off face
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yes, and in action films a frag grenade can cause a 20 foot explosion, :) .
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

Doesn't the camera have to be completely still for CGI to be added in ?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

No, you can add motion trackers to follow certain points in the video for the effect to follow.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

i think ive got the grenade sorted now as im buying some explosives of somebody, dont worry im gonna do that one where you film one: the explosion and then secondly: the man throwing himself to the side and then add them together
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Just get some firecrackers, bury them in concrete powder, light them and try to time it. (Concrete powder WILL cause a huge cloud so watch out!).
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

who was it who was moaning about concrete dust getting in your lungs and causing cancer- big girls blouse

how many 'firecrackers' are you going to use/ would you recommend to create an artillery shell, considerably larger than a grenade explosion!!
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

You only live once. :)

Just experiment. I just threw about a bunch down and it threw the stuff about 30 ft in the air. (It wasn't much, but it made a huge cloud)
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

ctbullet wrote: who was it who was moaning about concrete dust getting in your lungs and causing cancer- big girls blouse
Yay for aspirating concrete and dying! Slowly and painfuly. Seriously, concrete + wet lungs = bad freakin' day.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

i can only get hold of five fire crackers so each will be used for a bullet hit, and then theres one grenade scene, which i will use the explosives and i also need to blow up a car which ill have to do with CGI
Bodysnatcher
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Bodysnatcher »

i can only get hold of five fire crackers so each will be used for a bullet hit,
PLease tell me thay are not for home made squibs!!??
http://www.freewebs.com/bodysnatcher-productions
theChad

Post by theChad »

yeah dude!
Firecrackers + Body = Holes in Body
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
zomada

Post by zomada »

hand+firecrackers=blown off hand and realistic grenade in hand effeced
birdy,birdy in the sky why do you do that in my eye? looks like suger,tasts like mint omg its birdy s***!