Real ppl in 3d world?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

q1tv3

Real ppl in 3d world?

Post by q1tv3 »

Hello

I posted this before but it got off topic so I am going to post it again. :roll:

I wanted to know if anyone could give some suggestions on to get two skateboarders (moving and doing tricks) into a 3D animated world. :?:

My problem is I can't greenscreen them because they are moving and doing tricks on ramps. Also I am going to need to get rid of the ramps too so it looks like they can hit a ramp that isnt realy there wherever they want.

Please help me :!:

P.S The 3D world is going to be like the 4th dimension homer goes into on that one simpsons holloween episode! 8)
All we are saaaying.....is give peace a chance!
The Beatles ROCK! Yeah, yeah, yeah.
ya, I use a Mac
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

The only way I can think of is actually doing this in a green screen stage. A big one at least. For shots that require the cameraman to focus on one person while he's doing a trick, you would have to set up tracking markers on the greenscreen so you can use a program like Icarus to track the footage and then import the tracking data into your 3D Application. If its just a stationary shot then setup your greenscreen stage so that everythings green. The ramps the floor and the background, taking care that everythings lit properly, and just film your guys doing tricks on the skateboard. Then just key out the green and composite the footage over your 3D world. Might I ask what 3D application you are using?
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

I'm not sure what program it is. my friend is the one handeling the 3D part. He is really good at it! May I ask could I use those cheap forms of green screens, the picnic table cloths? I dont have enough greenscreen to go around and it way too expensive!

Or possibly if I had the characters wearing bright colored clothes I coul chroma key them and hit the 'Invert' button in final cut. but then all the 3D stuff would have to be made first and imported to finalcut as the background layer. Could work though!?!
ya, I use a Mac
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

q1tv3 wrote:I'm not sure what program it is. my friend is the one handeling the 3D part. He is really good at it! May I ask could I use those cheap forms of green screens, the picnic table cloths? I dont have enough greenscreen to go around and it way too expensive!

Or possibly if I had the characters wearing bright colored clothes I coul chroma key them and hit the 'Invert' button in final cut. but then all the 3D stuff would have to be made first and imported to finalcut as the background layer. Could work though!?!
You should be able to get green cloth from Walmart or some fabric store. Table cloths will work as long as the fabric doesn't reflect the light. "Or possibly if I had the characters wearing bright colored clothes I coul chroma key them and hit the 'Invert' button in final cut." You could try that but I don't think it will work. Your other option is to go ahead and film your actors doing their tricks and then go through and animate masks around your actors and composite them that way. It will take longer to do that because you would have to mask your actors precisely in order to avoid the dancing edges when you play back the video. If you want to see an example of masking and compositing like I just discribed then have a look at this clip:

http://www.wsfilms.net/charmed.asf
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Before I have a comment I'd like to see some previous work or yours. The whole idea (judging by what I've seen by other people) seems like you're way over your head.
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

Well my previous work on is either just messing around with effects, openers/closers for school announcements, or is lost on my 80gb hard drive that isnt working. i am trying to get the files off my hard drive onto a cd. But i have done plenty with greenscreening. I also have done a bit with masking (probly my best option). but the rest of the movie is just standard stuff. nothing hard. Plus i have an advantage! My school has a whole TV studio that I can use if i need to. And everyone there uses final cut pro so maybe they can help.

Thanks every one!
ya, I use a Mac
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

Oh yea,

Kentertainment: Nothing is ever "way over your head" if you are willing to put every ounce of effort you have into your film! NEVER belive you cant do somthing because you dont have the 'extreme' equipment.

Like John Lennon of The Beatles once said " theirs nothing you can do that cant be done" Or otherwise saying anybody can do anything they set their minds to.
ya, I use a Mac
theChad

Post by theChad »

I think what he means is that, without the proper resources it will not live up to half what you imagined. It doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to do it, just that if you want to really do it right, you'd need a giant green sound stage with a handful of really good lights. A guy who can set those lights up right so that when your skaters are skating you don't see any shadows, and a small army of green ramps.

But I mean if you can pull it off more power to you, and I will pat you on the back, and buy two pints in your honor, drink one, and pour the other on the ground and proclaim: "This one's for my Homie who could succesfully pull of an impressive 3d world without a million dollars of equipment!" And I mean that, I will do it.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

Lol canada is only like 30 min. from me so you could!!
ya, I use a Mac