Kit bashing some guns.

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Hinchu

Kit bashing some guns.

Post by Hinchu »

I posted a Nerf gun that I had painted earlier. Well my friends and I went to town and tore apart some guns and made some new ones. Here are the results. It is fairly easy to use and they look pretty nice after painting and dry brushing them.

Our massive amounts of guns! Three nerf mavericks to the left, then 2 kit bashed guns. And then the nerf shotgun which I'm probably going to saw off some more parts later on and finish dry brushing it. I'm just lazy and it's not a priority at the moment.

This is a nerf nitefinder that I sawed, sanded, and glued into this guy. I used a bunch of parts from different things. Different toys and random pieces of cheap stuff I picked up at a hardware store. I just used a quick drying plastic glue I had lying around.

My friend made this one. It is also a nitefinder. I think he used some spy toys that he glued and painted on there as well as random hardware. We both glued on a bit of doodads on just to add more detail. It works rather seamlessley once you paint it and you can't notice them.

Finally here is this gun before I painted it so you can get an idea of the process. The top wasn't glued on there yet, so it's just sitting behind it.

For all of the painting we just sanded up the surfaces with a fine grit, applied a primer to it, and the painted our colors on. We then just went back over everything with brushes. I dry brushed mine, which just means you take a brush, and then get most of the paint off of it, and lightly brush it on. I used a metallic silver which gives it a bit of a metallic look.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Kit bashing some guns.

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol these look crazy but theres no denying the fact that they actually look pretty good!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Very nice
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

Awsome! Thats a great idea for my old toys and junk!

Thanks!
All we are saaaying.....is give peace a chance!
The Beatles ROCK! Yeah, yeah, yeah.
ya, I use a Mac
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

They look real! If laser pistols were real. Very nice job!

The one your friend made I don't like too much: too much color.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Hey those are sweet!! Good job!! :)
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

I spy with my little eye... the bike peg on your friends gun (used for the barrel)
All we are saaaying.....is give peace a chance!
The Beatles ROCK! Yeah, yeah, yeah.
ya, I use a Mac
cantoloupe

Post by cantoloupe »

yo those are sweet!
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

I can't stress enough how easy this is to get good results with. It's just glueing cr** together and then painting it.
q1tv3 wrote:I spy with my little eye... the bike peg on your friends gun (used for the barrel)
I accidently stepped on his gun and broke that off :(

The glue won't stick to the paint either. What to do! :shock:
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

the shotgun kinda reminds me of Zoe's gun in Serenity
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
darrigaz

Post by darrigaz »

They all look really cool. Where'd you get the shotgun ?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

yeah, whered you get the shotgun cuz im making one soon out of metal piping n stuff.
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

Hrmm... I'm looking around for a link to it, but I think it is some offbrand gun. I just got it from Wal-Mart. It's pretty sweet because it cracks open and it comes with shells, which are automatically ejected. I painted those as well, so it looks pretty sweet. It'll be fun to actually add some smoke in post production as you crack it open. I'll get some photos as soon as this movie is over that I'm watching (Das Boot).
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

Alright, finally found a link to the shotgun. It is called the Double Shot.
http://www.buzzbeetoys.com/RSAirBlaster ... 05040.html

You know thinking about it you could probably blow some cigarette smoke into the barrels, and then crack them open to get the smoke coming out of them for a nice little effect. The shotgun just screams to be shown up close in action. It is really cool because you can crack it open one handed by hitting the button, and then the shells eject. It comes with 4 shells. If you paint them you could really make it look nice.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I want one so bad now. I wonder if Canadain Wal-Mart's carry them, I may have to venture into that dreaded pit of consumeristic wasteland. Nice work on the guns by the way, got any plans for em'?
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

Not really, the original plan was to shoot a quick short over a weekend with no real agenda, and just give a copy of the video to everyone as an exercise in editing, and then see what people turn out. However I think we are all probably too busy this semester on our projects to really dedicate a weekend to it. I might use them next semester, I'm trying to figure out an effects short that I can work on. I'm making a digital double of myself so I can fling him from buildings, spaceships, etc. I don't have a story for it yet, and I'm still waiting for ideas. It might be fun to make some CG creatures as well... I dunno, I can't get TOO ambitious, but it will be my last semester of school and I'm trying to make it so that I only have 12 hours so I have plenty of play time to work on a frickin' cool project.