"A Walk in the Light Green" DVD

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

delta_echo

"A Walk in the Light Green" DVD

Post by delta_echo »

Hey all,
"A Walk in the Light Green" DVD is now finished and ready to order! Please go here: http://www.lp3media.com/shorts/vietnam.html and then click on "Buy DVD through online shop". The DVD includes:

- Full 68 minute "A Walk in the Light Green" movie
- Interview with Vietnam Veterans
- 4 part Documentary
1) The Filming Experience
2) Creating Battle Wounds
3) Explosions and Squibs
4) The Huey Bluescreen

- Interview with the directors
- Production Stills
- Funny moments on Set

For those that missed it, the film was discussed on this forum: http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8422
The trailer can be found there, but a slightly lower quality trailer can also be seen on the ordering website. Thanks and feel free to ask any questions :D .
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: "A Walk in the Light Green" DVD

Post by maj_barnes »

If I wasn't so tight on money right now, I would get it. It's going on my wishlist for my birthday!

Edit:

f*** it, I bought it now.
Jdogg_Entertainment

Post by Jdogg_Entertainment »

I haven't posted on here before but have been a long time reader of the forums, even before I became member. I have to say that the trailer for the movie looks great and it looks like you guys poured your heart and soul into this project. Good luck with future projects and if I wasn't trying to fund projects I would buy your dvd in a heartbeat.
http://geocities.com/jdogg_entertainment/
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

I would just like to add that no money is being made on this project. We charge to cover our expenses of both production and the DVD. As I've stated before this film is to honor ALL who served, but specifically Vietnam Vets. We are NOT trying to make any sort of profit.
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

wow i think i'm going to buy this. what state are you guys located in? if in the US
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

We are located in Arizona, US. For those more interested in the visual effects aspect, we include a pretty detailed description on how we did the blood squibs, obtained explosion sounds (explosions and squibs) and "blowing off" someone's leg (Creating Battle Wounds). Bluescreening a Huey helicopter is also included with source footage displayed right next to the final product (Huey Bluescreen). We also include a general overview of just being an amateur film maker, from equipment used to how we got around certain obstacles as well as the whole purpose and idea that started the project (The filming experience, Interview with the directors). Funny moments on set are great, with everthing from actor screw-ups to equipment and pyro mess-ups (though the trailer didn't hint too much at it, there is alot of pyro in this film). Finally, the Veteran Interviews is a 35 min. presentation with the guys that actually fought. Oh, of course the film is also included :D ! Anyhow, I guarantee it'll be worth the $10! Thanks all for the kind words. Maj. Barnes already ordered a copy, so I'm sure he'd be kind enough to give an unbiased report here after he's viewed it. Have a good one.
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

so you guys recorded all your own sounds? i have searched endless hours online for help recording loud, booming sounds with no luck. i can never get a nice roar for an engine, or bang for an explosion. the sounds are always weak. if the dvd doesnt have this stuff on it wolud you mind talking w/ me about this?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

OMG! It just came in. I don't have time to watch it, but I watched some of the special features. You were right, the explosion in the trailer is cr** compared to these. Also, the DVD menu looks great, and along with the music (reminded me of Black Hawk Down at times) it really makes you want to watch it even more.

(The bluescreen was amazing!)

Edit:

When the guy with the m60 gets hit, those sounds are from We Were Soldiers right?
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

maj_barnes wrote:OMG! It just came in. I don't have time to watch it, but I watched some of the special features. You were right, the explosion in the trailer is cr** compared to these. Also, the DVD menu looks great, and along with the music (reminded me of Black Hawk Down at times) it really makes you want to watch it even more.

(The bluescreen was amazing!)

Edit:

When the guy with the m60 gets hit, those sounds are from We Were Soldiers right?
Umm. I believe the one really gushy one was (you'll have to check that out though since we made a few of our own that we used). Glad you liked what you saw. I await a more detailed report when you have time :D . Seriously, though, if your up to it, go for it. If not don't worry about it. Have a good one.
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

My editor went ahead and put two scene excerpts up. The first is more of the documentary/what they did everyday feel while the second is part of a battle scene. These can be seen here under "scene preview": http://www.lp3media.com/shorts/vietnam.html . Enjoy.
coldblue12

Post by coldblue12 »

this is a kick a** movie, even though i can't buy it due to i can't get anything off the net, delta echo this is professional and looks well made, any boom mics or anything i know dvx100s were involved. Iam making a post-veitnam movie that surronds the conflict before it, cept its more of a pyschological trauma like apoc now, but still there is combat.

i Think i use same programs premiere pro, ae, photshop, and magic bullet,

all i need are the muzzle flashes is there any way u are willing to share the muzzle flashes?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Okay, sorry about taking forever to get back.

I watch it I loved it!

I had a view problems with it. Like there was a real absence of dialogue between characters. It really took on a sense of Apoc Now. Also the camera work during the night scenes wasn't really my favorite. But I understand you need to get it done fast, but I just though it would have looked better with much closer shots of the guys rather than a bunch of camera moving amoung them. Also, there was always this one camera that bugged the cr** out of me: it seemed to have an extremely low frame rate, and whenever it came in I wanted to throw the channel changer at the damn TV. One of my most biggest problems! The muzzle smoke! I though it was going to look great, but when watching it just came out looking like bad keyed out smoke. If anything to make it look better would change the color from black to grey, or a light bluish tint, or taking it out completely.

The pros wieght the cons out big time. The special features on the DVD is worth the $10, very in-depth and very informative. The pyrotechics looked great, editing was nice and crisp, along with some of the camera movements like the massive tracking shot, or the sniper trying to get away from the VC. Acting was good as well, not bunch to yell about that. Also the veteran's little speech in the beginning really set the mood for the entire movie. The colors in the movie were really nice, giving the a vintage look to the whole thing. Also the sound in the movie was great (mostly refering to the weapon sounds), the guns sounded like the real deal, but alittle Hollywooded up.

Sorry, I couldn't be more in-depth, but overall I'd say it's more than worth the $10!
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

maj_barnes wrote:Okay, sorry about taking forever to get back.

I watch it I loved it!

I had a view problems with it. Like there was a real absence of dialogue between characters. It really took on a sense of Apoc Now. Also the camera work during the night scenes wasn't really my favorite. But I understand you need to get it done fast, but I just though it would have looked better with much closer shots of the guys rather than a bunch of camera moving amoung them. Also, there was always this one camera that bugged the cr** out of me: it seemed to have an extremely low frame rate, and whenever it came in I wanted to throw the channel changer at the damn TV. One of my most biggest problems! The muzzle smoke! I though it was going to look great, but when watching it just came out looking like bad keyed out smoke. If anything to make it look better would change the color from black to grey, or a light bluish tint, or taking it out completely.

Also the sound in the movie was great (mostly refering to the weapon sounds), the guns sounded like the real deal, but alittle Hollywooded up.

Sorry, I couldn't be more in-depth, but overall I'd say it's more than worth the $10!
Thanks for the lowdown. Really do appreciate it. You're darn right about the camera. We had to use such a wide variety of cameras that the quality difference is obvious in some shots. So many filters have been put on that the average viewer can't really tell, however.

As for the smoke, I'm interested in knowing what shots you're talking about. About half of them are real and the others are digital. Even so, we had real footage to compare them with, and nobody but you has said anything bad (if they even noticed it). That being said, you may want to check it out with the real weapons - I think you'll be surprised how little "smoke" US military rifle cartridges make. The majority is actually clear gases so the distortion at the muzzle is caused by fast moving air and heat instead. The smoke we made was actually gray in color, but, against a very light background like the sky, it undoubtedly looked darker. All the same, let me know which shot(s) you're talking about. As for the sound, that is 100% unadultered sound from the actual weapons. Don't know if you remember, but I posted on the "armory" thread a quick clip of the machine gun shoot I attended. All weapon sounds were taken from there.

Finally, as for dialogue -if you ask any group of guys who ran a recon-type mission - you just didn't talk much. Voices, clinking, and other noise can give your position away faster than movement. Try refering to the veteran interviews on the disc - Joe Golden talks about this. That being said, we also wanted the narrator to tell the story like a guy who just got back. So, the lack of much dialogue was done very much on purpose.

Hey man,thanks again - I really do appreciate you taking time out of your day :) .
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

All the shots with the smoke looked fake. I don't know but I could just tell they were. Maybe because they caught my eye too much. But scenes like the close up of the m60 firing (can't remember where), where there was no flash just the smoke, or with the VC m60 emplacment firing, the only one I thought looked good was where you see the mortor come down and then a group of soldiers runs by and a guy with an m16 fires off to the right. Maybe you guys should have made it much more transparent, or maybe it came out too fast.

Here are some shots I found of what I thought the muzzle smoke should look like:
http://media.putfile.com/guns-shootin-shyit

Really? I was surpirsed the m60 sounded really different than I had expected. And I didn't get to see that video, it kept messing up.

Edit:

And I don't really mean that you should add talking it was just when they were it was overdubbed.
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

After watching your clips, I see what you mean about the smoke. Seeing where you are coming from, I still have to respectfully disagree, however. I don't know if the ammo you were firing was US Mil., foreign, or older, but, combined with the fact that some of the rifles are much shorter than there military counterparts (particularly the M1A SOCOM with its compensator - thats a great weapon), the weapons in the clip generated alot more smoke than I've seen from the ammo we (US Military) use on the range. That being said, the muzzle flashes were added for effect more than realism (even so, they were kept down alot compared to hollywood). A muzzle flash using a modern rifle and ammunition indicates that the oxidizer/fuel ratio in the propellent is not stoichiometrically correct, and some of the fuel actually is expelled and burns outside the barrel. Barrel length also makes a huge difference (which is why a pistol has a much higher chance of producing a flash). Anyhow, I'm not claiming that the weapon effects are perfect, but the film has been shown to many veterans and quite a few active duty personnel, and 99% haven't noticed a thing. That being said, you may just have a sharp eye - guess that comes from making your own films. I find myself doing it too. Have a good one.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, the only ones that was firing us mil ammo was the one ar15 with the bipod: they had a huge shipment and they were selling it for like 300 rounds for $100. The rest was Wolf ammo. Oh, and the .50 cal was Mil, because we can't seem to find anyother ones for cheaper.
particularly the M1A SOCOM with its compensator
Yea, I posted that, because I look cool with it, :P .
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Well, the clips I've seen look great, and I really want to buy it, it's just that I simply don't trust PayPal to keep credit card info secure.

And tell me again why you aren't sending this off to festivals? I can see why you don't want to make money off of it, but if your objective is to honor Vietnam veterans, then I think that would be accomplished in a much larger way if you spread your message to greatest number of people you could manage, and not just local residents and a handful of kids on an obscure amateur filmmaking site.
lp3media

Post by lp3media »

I'm glad you like the clips I posted online. And I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given delta_echo and myself (I'm that "editor" that delta_echo keeps referring to).
As for film festivals, I am currently looking into them. If anyone knows of any good festivals--maybe ones that focus on military or history--let me know. As for distribution as a whole, we are simply trying to get the DVD out to as many people as possible. So the help and support you guys give us on this site is greatly appreciated and really does help. But it will be a slow process because we are all full time students and don't have the means for larger distribution.
And, SgtPadrino, if you do want a copy of the DVD and don't want to use PayPal, you can email me at kyle@lp3media.com and we can figure something out.
Thanks again guys
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

As far as I know, there aren't many military/war specific film festivals out there, but pretty much every festival I've looked into has a war category, so you won't have too much trouble in that area. And finding festivals in your area isn't too hard - do a google search with the words film festival along with your state name and you're bound to get results. There's also a festival search engine out there, don't remember the link though.
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Yeah. its withoutabox.com. I've sent a couple of entries through it. Quite useful and convenient.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]