"The Next Job" A Kentertainment Picture

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

"The Next Job" A Kentertainment Picture

Post by Kentertainment »

For my Film Studies class our final is to create a 5-15 minute movie. This is the movie me and my fellow friends made entitled, "The Next Job"

The story is about Max Bedford a somewhat of a Bounty Hunter who is hired to bring in a runaway named Sam Boone. Little does he know that Sam Boone is the President of the local Gun Club and their meeting is in session.

Watch, Enjoy, and please...give me feedback.

The file is .wmv and is 23mb

http://files.filefront.com/The_Next_Job ... einfo.html
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainment Picture

Post by Clarence »

Yet another great short film :). There was a bit of microphone noise in the first scene, like the sound the mic makes when it's tapped. The titles where really cool.

It must have gotten a good grade...
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

that was great... best film i've seen on here... it just gave my a sense of happiness when it ended... very well written, geez i just loved that movie, that was a great movie
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Excellent excuse to work the muzzle-flash/gun violence out of your movie making system. Very well done, editing in particular.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainment Picture

Post by Kentertainment »

Clarence wrote:It must have gotten a good grade...
I forgot to mention that. It isn't due until the 18th of January but I wasn't aware and thought it was this coming week.

Zacatac: Haha, a sense of happiness eh? It must've been that senseless violence.

UFP: You're exactly right. We couldn't have any language, sex/nudity, drug use and all that in the movie. The only thing was basically Violence and Gore so I decided we might as well make something violent and while I'm at it I might as well test some stuff.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainment Pictur

Post by ctbullet »

thats was pretty darn awesome if i must say,

loved the sweet a** car stunts
also, where do you live, i noticed massive mountaints in the background in one of your shots, impressive cinematography
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

yah well i was hyped up when i wrote that but i did talk about it all this morning and its really great it really was done well its felt like seeing a great mvoies at the teather, thats how hooked i was
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Awsome! The ending was the best!

Heard a few Heat sounds, :P .

How'd you do the bullet in the windshield?

Also, look for a backlight button on your camera! Some of the shots got washed out by the sky.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainment Pi

Post by Gyro »

ctbullet wrote:thats was pretty darn awesome if i must say,

loved the sweet a** car stunts
also, where do you live, i noticed massive mountaints in the background in one of your shots, impressive cinematography
UTAH!!
@seanbagley
iCEbLuEORbitZ

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainmen

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

i thought that it was pretty good. the glas breaking effect was nice. one thing i'd suggest however. go manual on your camera if possible. (i'm almost positive at least the exposure can be made manual) and if not i'd invest in a new camera, becaues you can get a 300 dollar camera w/ manual exposer. the reason i say this, is it really detracts from the professionalism of the film, when things go dark when light is introduced (ie. the brake lights on the car turned on and the rest of the picture got super dark). it makes it look amateur and hard to see the other things in the picture. so turn that on manual from now on. otherwise, the audio was pretty good (except the mic tapping (try ziptieing the cable to the mic boom to prevent caple tapping, and put some kind of hard foam grips on the handle of the boom pole. that is if you are using a boom. if you are not you should). and as a lastly (if you are using a smaller 1ccd camera such as a handicam, take a look at the 14 dollar steadicams, would improve your shots imensely, especially the ground glides. on the whole, one of the better films i've seen on here. keep them coming!
ProdigyFilmsinc.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainmen

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Grreat music..... Those birds overthere are pretty beautiful.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertai

Post by Kentertainment »

iCEbLuEORbitZ wrote:and as a lastly (if you are using a smaller 1ccd camera such as a handicam, take a look at the 14 dollar steadicams, would improve your shots imensely
Really only 14 dollars....you wouldn't happen to have a link to any of these would you? Anywho, yes I'm pretty sure my camcorder has a manual control to stop exposure which I'll look into. Thanks for the comments so far, keep 'em coming. :D
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kente

Post by maj_barnes »

How'd you do the bullet in the windshield?
!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Oh, sorry I missed that. It was actually quite simple and very Amateur. If you've ever heard of Jones Soda I just went and bought two bottles and broke them when I was done. We basically placed glass in a washcloth and as the character ducked down and the window was out of frame we showered the characters with the glass. Simple as simplicity. And I actually didn't use any heat sounds, I used MOH and BOB. My bad, I guess.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

you no the spark coming off the bonnet or hood was that an effect added after filming?, could it be done in real life?
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

No, I'm not taking about that glass stuff, but when the car is driving up you see a bullet hit on the windshield. That one.
And I actually didn't use any heat sounds,
Are you sure, when Chris fires the gun at the car and the driver is hit, I swear that's the sound "shotgun hit windshield" (or whatever it's called).
you no the spark coming off the bonnet or hood was that an effect added after filming?, could it be done in real life?
You could get some poppers. Those little white things that you throw at the ground and pop. I've thrown them at metal and they create alittle spark.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job" A K

Post by Kentertainment »

ctbullet wrote:you no the spark coming off the bonnet or hood was that an effect added after filming?, could it be done in real life?
Oh, I just took the "bullet hits" from Detonation film and I cut it to only I think 2 frames so it was fast enough to not look too digital, there were two of them and the second one looks a little fake to me, I'm too lazy to fix it and rerender it.
maj_barnes wrote:No, I'm not taking about that glass stuff, but when the car is driving up you see a bullet hit on the windshield. That one.
Ah, this was an idea I had one night as I was boredly walking about the house. Anywho, I took a piece of masking tape and then placed a peice of saran (if that's how it's spelled) wrap and placed it on the stick side of the tape (make sure you leave the ends of the tape open for sticking on windsheild). I then placed flour on the saran wrap. I ran a fishline along the outsides of the tape and made it long enough for the person sitting on the passenger side able to pull the string and release the powder making it look like glass flecks.

The problem with this was I didn't have fish line at the time I filmed this and it was hard getting all the actors together so I just used a rope that was a little too thick, that is why if you look closely you can see a huge rope being pulled of the windshield.

I actually have absolutely nothing going on this weekend so I think I may make a tutorial on it for my website. I'll send you a link if I do so :wink:
iCEbLuEORbitZ

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "The Next Job"

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

oh yes. i made one of these, but instead i just used a tripod, and spread the legs aprat and hold in in the center column. this is a great way of a makeshift steadicam. you neeed a fairly heavy duty tripod and the legs always get in the way! haha.

my suggestion if you are doing this (i know a bit about steadicam as i spent all summer researching and trying to build my own. i came really close to making a good backback frontmounted spring loaded steadicam, but it wasnt heavy duty enough and it flopped around a lil too much. but anyways, my suggestion is to make the side bar also have a counterweight that is a little bit lighter than the vertical pole,weight,camera part. that way, when you hold the horizontal bar, it will balance left and right, then when you hold the vertical bar at the point of balance, it will balance up and down. might be a bit heavier, but the side bar will greatly reduce side to side motion that is very bad as i have noticed w/o using the sidehandle. another idea i had was make a 2 person system where theres two handles, and one person on each side can hold it, and the camera can be close to the ground, you could have two people run w/ it or something and it would be easier. idk. hope this helps!

btw, if you need any help/info on audio recording, post editing, rigs, anything just ask me, or pm, becaues i've spent the past year studing and reading every book i can find at every book store. haha. sucks that knowing all this stuff i don't get more films made.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I may look into making one of those and thank you iceblue for the info.

maj_barnes here is that tutorial I said I'd make.

http://kentertainmentpicts.tripod.com/windowhit.html
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Wow! That's great, thanks!
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: "The Next Job" A Kentertainment Picture

Post by Kentertainment »

Clarence wrote:It must have gotten a good grade...
Indeedy, I found out today that I got a 120 out of 100 and was the highest grade in the class. Yay!

Any more comments.
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Haha cool congrats man!
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I have a comment: that was awesome! The shattered glass was a nice touch. The whole film--except for something I'm going to mention below--had a nice "professional" feel to it.

The one thing that really bothered me was the exposure--the switching from light to dark and back and so forth wasn't pretty. You've definitely got to do it manually on your next project. That's my only complaint, though. Great job!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Yes, I found a backlight button so I don't think that'll be much of a problem anymore. Thanks for the tips, I remember once somebody told me to balance the audio in my films from Mono to Stereo (I have a boom that records mono) which was something I never really looked into and that helped greatly so I'm sure this will too.
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

don't use backlight. backlight is different than manual exposure. backlight is for situations when you have poor lighting. such as a bright sky behind a not so bright (light, not intellegence wise) person. in this situation, auto exposure would shilloutte the person, becaues the background is too bright. backlighting button will simply open up the aperature or boost the gain so that everything is brighter, thus the person will be correctly illuminated, but the background could be blasting bright. that is at least what backlight is in most situations. try to find an "exposure" button or something. what camera do you have? perhaps i can help you.