idea for headshot

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jackbauer24

idea for headshot

Post by jackbauer24 »

I thought of an idea for a way to do a frontal view headshot without showing tubes or anything (sorry if this idea has been posted before) Get a cloth, (preferably black) and cut a small hole in it. Then attach a tube coming out from the back. Fill the front of the tube with bloody stuff or red sponge or whatever. Then put a clear plastic bag on your camera, or put plexi-glass in front of the camera. Use a can of compressed air to shoot the stuff at the camera.

Then film your actor facing forward or wherever you want him. just color key out the black stuff from the other thing, and center it so that the blood shoots out of his head.

I havent tried this yet, but i hope to soon. I just need to get the plexi-glass. Does anyone think this will work, or have any suggestions?
ZombieKrieg2005

RE: idea for headshot

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

That sounds ace, if it works then could you send the blood file as a stock footage. Im looking on doing a similar thing with greenscreening blood and gore.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Hey, I filmed it. I did it against a piece of white paper (I don't know what you use to edit, but I use Final Cut Pro) and you should be able to color key it out (I haven't used Premiere (if you use that) but it probably has a color key thing). The only thing is that it looks greyish because the light wasn't great, but it still works. It might take a while before you get it just right.

Give me your email and I can send you the footage of the blood against white, and a test I did. Hope it works well
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I've heard of colors to key such as black, blue and green, but white?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

You can use white, just use luma and set it to take out brighter colors. Or you could try multiply.

Detonation films has started doing some stuff on a white screen on their beta page.
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

You don't even need the luma stuff. In Final Cut Pro (it's probably different than Premeire) you just go to Effects>Video Filters>Color Key. Then you just use the eye dropper to take a sample of what you want color keyed.

Anyways, if you want the blood spurt post your email, and after you see it, please tell me what would make it better, (because it is not perfect)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

No, it's the same with that. That's just what I do in AfterEffects.

ib_75th@yahoo.com
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

Last edited by fi11m-m4k3r on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

cberryottaway@hotmail.com when I go back home to visit from Uni I will give it a go as well.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

The test was good, except for the blood on the screen moving around. The hole in his head looked really good too! Also if you would have sped up the blood it would of looked even better.

I think it would look better if you did one without blood splatter. But it was very good!
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Maj Barnes wrote:

I think it would look better if you did one without blood splatter. But it was very good!

Yeah, about that. I was thinking of cutting that right when some of the blood was shooting out, and then getting a different angle of the guy falling with some blood on his face. I think it would look better.

Also, did the blood spurt I sent to you work? were you able to color key the grey out? I am thinking about filming all different angles of headshots against a solid background so I can add it in for side headshots. Then I won't have to worry about messing with tubes or anything
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, I could key it out, but it looked like cr**. What did you do to make it look good.
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

It all depends on what you are putting this on. You want to key it out according to the background because you don't want to see two different shades in one image. So if the background you have is the sidewalk, you wont need to key out so much grey because it will blend in. (Sorry if that was confusing, its hard for me to explain)

If you want, you can send me (quicktime) the thing video where you want the blood to splatter from, and I could try to do it for you
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, when I do it, it tends to key out the extra spray everywhere else. And when I do key it out so all you see is the blood, you see vague blobs of red. I'm just wondering what settings you used.

I'm not adding it to anything, just seeing if it would work.
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

The clip is very dark and low quality... I can't see any of the splatter until it is on the screen. Why did it move? Well anyway... when i tried to key the splatter clip, all i got was the blood on the screen... Not the flying blood.
And it was kinda fast... You didnt see anything. Maybe you should put the camera a little further away and zoom in a little? I don't know. How did you get the hole where the blood comes out look so good? With a little more tweaking with light and positioning of the camera... This could look very convincing!
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

The reason it moved was because the camera was behind plexi glass, and I didn't cut it soon enough, and I moved the plexiglass before it stopped filming.

The hole was just what was left after the blood shot out. What it was was this: I took some pieces of bread and dipped it in red food coloring/water. I shoved that in the front of the tube. I guess when it shot out, not all of the bread came out. I just enlarged it.

I think the reason the quality was so grainy was because I couldn't email a file over 10 MB and when I saved it as quicktime, i compressed it for emailing so it would fit.

Also in regards to MAJ BARNES's question about the settings I dont know if this will help you, but I took screenshots of the settings in Final Cut and I will email them to you
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

Well... It looked really cool! Good job!
gaffer

Post by gaffer »

killerrabbitamazingproductions@hotmail.co.uk
could do with some if this. thanks
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

GAFFER:

I just emailed it to you, but I am not sure if I emailed you the clip where I get shot, or the shot against white, or both. If it didnt work, tell me and I will try to send it again.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

god what are you people talking about key out white pieces of sponge... just use pink or red sponge and it will look like gore... why overcomplicate things just because you think you can do it in a computer
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

We were never going to key out white sponge. we were going to key out the white background that the red/pink sponge was shot against. It would just be like keying out the black background on a detonationfilms explosion
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

i think just blood spattered on the back wall and a quick fall would be convincing enough.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

But if you are going to film in a location where you can't splatter blood all over the wall (like me),
it would be great to have stock footage of blood splatter.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Digital blood can look just as convincing as real blood.

You think I'm allowed to splatter some into a classroom filled with computers?
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

damn rock music look what it does to the youth of today, dont do drugs