Effect like Minority Report Gun

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

cwf

Effect like Minority Report Gun

Post by cwf »

I am looking for information on creating an effect that would be similar to the effect used in Minortiy Report on the force gun. It seems to shoot out energy that bounced people away. All of you who have seen minority report will know what I mean.

It is like a large blue force field bubble that hits.

Anyone have any ideas on how to create this?
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Effect like Minority Report Gun

Post by Carnage7p »

do you have after effects? that would do it or a 3d program, you won't be able to do this using editing programs like premiere, final cut, vegas, etc
cwf

Post by cwf »

I have after effects. I am fairly confident in the editing side of things and am happy applying masking and all the basic stuff. But I'm not so happy with the particle side of things.

Anyway, did you have any ideas on how to do it ?
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

hang on i'm gonna take a look at the effect in the film, i remember what your talking about but i want to remember exactly what its like.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

ok sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but i watched this part of minority report and it is a lot simpler than i thought. i would create a circular mask to part of the video, the ad the ripple effect. the ripple length and height look fairly low in the movie, and the speed is quite fast so i would play around with that a big. but make sure to feather the edges of the mask to make it blend better with the environment.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

the reactions of the things being hit by the force has to be realistic as well, which can often be a challenge. Bad a** effect.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

i think it sucks how these days people see a ray gun effect or some ball of plasma that they like and want to replicate it.

It is just a plasma ball moving in perspective... why not create your own unique look to your plasma ball and do the same thing instead of making it look exactly the same... you could even improove on it some. just make your own style and do the effects... the princibles are still the same but you get some original looking effects that way.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Because when you replicate it, you can then modify it to give it your unique look.