Rubber?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Rubber?

Post by DEDFX »

Quick question and the answers prob going to be foam and I cant beleive I dont know this answer. On many movies with commentary on I hear the SFX team saying they only had "rubber" to deal with or something, like from The Thing. Do they refer to foam or is there stuff thats more rubbery like rubber, I've searched alot and can't find anything. thanks alot
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Rubber?

Post by ct_bullet »

teh minute i saw this title i thought of condom!!

i assume it is simply rubber
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
damien666

Post by damien666 »

It is most likely silicone that they are referring to when they say rubber. Silicone for special effects is used for more realistic fake heads, body parts, as well as for Prosthetic appliances when a more skin like translucent material is needed - as opposed to the very opaque foam latex.
It is quite expensive, but gives the most realistic end results.
Damien666
zomada

Post by zomada »

hey........... go to ur local maget restront(cematary)
birdy,birdy in the sky why do you do that in my eye? looks like suger,tasts like mint omg its birdy s***!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

ur: your
maget: maggot
restront: restaurant
cematary: cemetery

I'm guessing it's Foam Rubber, which is different from Foam... I guess.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Since the popular solution these days is a silicone based rubber the only material in the effects industry that would come to mind otherwise is "Foamed Latex"

a quick search on google gives you this explaination...
Foam Latex is used for prosthetic pieces that are glued to the skin. Don't confuse this type of latex with Halloween mask making latex or slip latex. In order to successfully use foam latex you will need the following equipment; Mixmaster, gram scale, oven dedicated for foam work. Foam latex is more complex than other materials and should be considered an advanced technique. The payoff is a very flexible, light-weight material that is wonderful to act in. Pieces can only be used once and then are thrown away. Because foam latex is baked it is often called "Hot Foam".

OR

Cold Foam is called cold foam because it is not baked. It is not latex, but is polyurethane. To successfully mix it you will need a gram scale. The Kryolan brand cold foam is safe to use on the skin only after it has fully cured. Because it is polyurethane, it is what you would call, "Quick and Dirty." but it is not dirty unless you consider the hard chemicals used to make it. It is great for filling props and for quick prosthetics when you are out of time, but lacks the flexibility of foam latex. If you are not using it for prosthetics, such as a mask project or to make a prop you can save money by using a normal polyurethane foam, which SES also sells. The mold release in the Kryolan kit can not be shipped by air.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]