Artificial gun recoil

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Artificial gun recoil

Post by Magic-Man »

Hey. I tried to put in a fake gun slide with photoshop. It was rather tedious but once i got the hang of it it was alright. Have a look for your self. I know its not perfect or anything but i just wanted to try it.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Click here to watch recoil-test
buck_suck

RE: Artificial gun recoil

Post by buck_suck »

Hey that was pretty good. You know its kinda wierd, but I 've not done a single gun-recoil-shell thing with Adobe Photoshop before. I never really bothered. How exactly do you do it? Care to share with me? I would be most grateful.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

i brought adobe premiere the other day is adobe photoshop a different piece of software ? do i need to get other stuff to go with it? that gun thing was pretty cool was all the smoke fake aswell ?
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Yeah it most probably is. Yes. Adobe Photoshop is different from Adobe Premiere altogether. Its for editing pictures - Although I have no idea how Magic Man managed to do the gun slide recoiling even though I've seen it tons of times before on indie films.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Looked very good, the recoil was awesome, I'm not a huge fan of the smoke, but it wasn't too out of place, and the muzzle flash was appropriate. Two things though; if you're taking the time to do it in Photoshop, I'd suggest you use a low opacity brush to light up parts of the room, as if the flash actually illuminated them, and better gun reaction acting. The actuall recoil force in your hand movements was too slow and forced, just because it's a test doesn't mean you shouldn't put full effort into it.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

yeah i know, as soon as i finished, i realised that i didn't use the dodge tool to light up the room. If you try and pause it on the first frame of the muzzle flash, i did actually increase the contrast and brightness but it wasn't all that prominent. Oh and by the way, did anyone realise the shell ejecting? It was a battery i just threw in the air hehe, and the gun was a ps2 gun which i thought i would use.
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

The shell looks like it ejects out the left side of the weapon. Most eject out the right since most people are right handed. The slide looks real good, though. It seems to be off a fraction of a second from the flash (needs to be a bit sooner). As for the smoke, unless its black powder, it won't have a hanging smoke like that with a single shot. Think fast, dissapating smoke. Course, rather than me having to try to describe it, your much better off finding some vids on the net. Overall, not too bad at all.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

well i tried to make it after the muzzle, because i saw a vid on the net and it was a frame after the muzzle which is what i did. Also the shell is ejecting out the right side of the gun.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Yes, the flash began just a fraction of a second to soon. Remember, it is the explosion coming out the barrel that actually pushes the slide back in the first place, and so they (the muzzle flash and the slide sliding) would occur at nearly the same time. Your original question, about the slide effect was actually quite well done. Most people don't worry (or don't know) about how the barrel itself stays where it is, and the rest of the slide goes around it. The only other gripe I have is, again, the acting itself. The way you hold a gun would mean that if an explosion were to go off in the chamber (from, say, a bullet firing) that the gun would pivot up, usually around your trigger finger. Also, looking at it again, the barrel was just a bit to thick.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

the effects that this guy has created, have they been done in photoshop or adobe premiere 1.5
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Both. You need photoshop to make the picture then premiere to impose it onto the moti.on frame
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
Markus

Post by Markus »

it looked cool, but in my opinion you should make the smoke a LOT more transparent ;)
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

I see you're using the PS2 Gun, we use one in our movies sometimes, only what i did is cut the cables to the PS2 off, then open the whole thing up. Connected a cable to one terminal on the motor, then to the switch in the trigger and from the switch to the 9V battery i managed to fit in after cutting out part of the circuit board.

Now you press the trigger and the gun recoils as it would if you were using it with a console, and it'll go anywhere you want.

I found the noise from the motor and recoil actually sounds good if you leave it on under the edited in gunshot so no need for a lot of audio editing!
"These are the voyages..."