WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The funny thing is, there's no real wrong way to tie leggings. Sure it can be open a bit, I've seen that before. Although I personally like them closed top to bottom, otherwise dirt and rocks can get in!

Here's another picture on WW2 Authenticity I made:

At least I thought it was funny. :D

(A FARB is simply any person or item that inaccurately portrays the era he or she represents)
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Lol, thats pretty funny. Accept.....I cant find any metal canteens. Do you knwo where to get them? Otherwise i would probably paint one of my plastic ones. I did find a really good reproduction german one. its reallly nice : )
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

whats with the whole shades, cheesy grin and long hair.....good portrayal of how bad someone can look though, i remember seeing one trailer for a members ww2 film, i think it was The Last Defense, where the actors, obviously kids, just friends of the creator who had good uniforms and acting skills but the long hair ruined it......still ranting on, basically don't have long hair for a ww2 re-enactment, it looks shite
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

The ammo pouches looked bleached.

And on cheaperthandirt.com they have metal canteens with pouch (although not American, but look somewhat like it) for $10.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Blastphemy!!! Why pay $10 and shipping for a CLOSE looking canteen? You can find original WW2 canteens with covers for that much! :P And the cartridge belt isn't bleached. It's original WW1!

It makes me sad when an actor won't cut his hair for a war picture. No matter how well he can act or how good the wardrobe it, it'll never look right! At least bun it up inside the pot or something!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

You can find original WW2 canteens with covers for that much!
SHOW ME!

And I guess it's unrealistic to smile too, lol!
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

I thought i'd tell all you WWII fanatics liek myself about this book i got for my birthday. Its called "The victory in Euprope Experience" By Julian F. Thompson.
It covers the allied advance form the landings at normandy, till the end of the war. But, heres the part that makes it worth it. It has pockets in the book that come with reproduction documents, maps, posters from the era, personnal diarys, an SS soldiers papers, and personal letters from hitler, Winstion churchill, and various american generals. My favorite part is included in the Battle of the bulge section, it is the only existing reproduction of Generl McAuliffes famous "Merry Christmas" Message sent at the crisis point of the battle to all the men of the 101st. It looks just like an original. The other point of interest for me is a type written letter from a war correspondant Allan Wood, who was in the midst of the battle in Arnheim, during operation market garden. Its really amzingly realistic. I recomend this book for anyone who truely appreciates WWII memorabilia and the history behind it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

maj_barnes wrote:SHOW ME!
I actually picked up a minty canteen with cover at Camp Roberts for $5. Quite a deal! You can grab them on eBay that cheap from time to time. I like the 1942 styles better than the 1918 productions, as they tend to have corrosion inside and don't taste very yummy. Well, the best advice is to keep your eyes open long enough, and you will notice good deals more and more. The best trick with eBay is to go for the big surplus lots and usually you will find some nice things in it.
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

There's this awsome site my friend showed me that puts any insignia on your helmet you can think of. Does anybody know of this site? I forget the name.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

Epsilon wrote:The funny thing is, there's no real wrong way to tie leggings. Sure it can be open a bit, I've seen that before. Although I personally like them closed top to bottom, otherwise dirt and rocks can get in!

Here's another picture on WW2 Authenticity I made:

At least I thought it was funny. :D

(A FARB is simply any person or item that inaccurately portrays the era he or she represents)
Haha, where'd you come up with FARB?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I didn't come up with FARB. The term has been around since Reenactors have! :P

There are dozens of places that offer helmet painting services. The best is perhaps: www.jmurrayinc1944.com
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

RANDOM STORY:

They just found a WW2 Plane and pilot preserved inside a large pice of ice. My mother told me it was on the news this morning. I cant believe i missed it. They said the entire plane was in tact and the pilots hair and stuff were the same. I though it was a cool story to share with ya'll 8)
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Cool...you got a website with news?
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Link

They had already found the plane and four bodies following the crash in 1947, five years after the crash, and they're not entirely sure this guy is from the same plane. There was an article in the paper the other day, about this, it said that there are still 78,000 missing Americans just from WWII. Imagine what the global statistic is.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I remember they had something like this story on the History Channel or maybe Discovery; but they unearthed someother plane with all its crew and also a P-38 with its pilot, then refurbished the P-38 and took it for a ride.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Read the article. Interesting.

Ya, when i was in Salt Lake City or something, I saw the ramins of a p38 that had crashed in the artic back around WWII...they had just recovered it and brought it back.

I also searched google and found out they had fished out a b25 from a lake in the states, and they are re doing it and putting it on display.

In addition... a few guys here know of some long lost bren carriers, and dug down in this guys yard to find 4 or 5. (long story)
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Recogged

Post by Recogged »

Hey, I'm looking to produce a short (est. 6-8 min) pseudo-war film based in Italy in 1943 and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about set-building. I'm hoping to get a type of bombed-out town look happening (think the anzio map from day of defeat, if you've ever played it) but this is probably just wishful thinking, it will probably be too impractical...I can minimise the amount of architecture in each shot.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

You could have a camera just set down (no movement, on tripod) and do some crazy compostiting.

Kinda like this stuff:
http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8328

But I doubt with a no budget production you'll be able to get a bombed out effect (unless WW3 breaks out soon, lol). Unless you find some old buildings and keep it to low shots of the buildings and add random rubble everywhere.
Recogged

Post by Recogged »

Thanks. I dunno, I'm basically starting from scratch, all I have is a script (err... unless you count an old bren gun ammo box.... :S) what I do have is time, some 2 months or so of holidays after the end of the school year. I have made several short films before but this is my first foray into a WW2 film, so I'm not really sure where to begin in terms of technical aspects...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Ebay, would be the best place to start out, but gear and uniforms are expensive!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It took Spielberg over a year to create his bombed out city for Saving Private Ryan, and he had a reputation and unlimited money and a lifetime experience. Obviously, there's no way you can really pull this off in less than two months if you don't even know where to start!

Read books, research period photographs, talk with people, get money, find resources, scout around, make friends, ask around, and be prepared to spend a lot of time. Creating a blasted out city is easy...if you have money or happen to live in bumtown or even where Katrina passed by.

Of course, even if the background is a little hoaky, persuasive wardrobe and acting may be able to pull it off. However, authentic outfits would cost you even more!
Recogged

Post by Recogged »

Perhaps I should be a bit more specific. What I need is 2 - 3 German uniforms (either regular Wehrmacht or Waffen SS) and 3 US uniforms.

To this end I also need fake weaponry:

1 Kar98 OR Mp40,
1 MG-34
2 M1 Garands
1 Thompson
Sandbags, netting etc to make a machine gun nest.

All shooting will take place in 1 location.

If I have any anachronistic errors with this equipment feel free to correct me.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I can put together a german uniform with just a $20 trenchcoat, a $30 wehrmacht style helmet, and some cheap web gear for around $25. And the american uniforms mostly depends on either airborne or infantry. If it's airborne and market garden type stuff, you can get away with some cheap od jackets, and pants. Helmets are around $30 to $35 for me, but painting helmet liners is cheaper (liner=$5). And all the backpack and webgear cr** will depend on infantry or airborne. But again this is just cheap ways out. You drop some money and set up an infantry impression with a m41 jacket, wools, garand/pistol belt, with varying ammo pouches or bandoleers, and haversack for upwards of $200.

1 Kar98 $100, or 1 mp40 airsoft $20
1 mg34 resin replica $100
2 deact m1 garands $700 (or get some winchester bb guns for $20)
1 thompson airsoft $100

Edit:
Here's me at Halloween (the picture was taken while I was talking): helmet, m41, wool shirt, m36 suspenders (I didn't feel like lugging around a haversack all night), pistol belt, canteen (barely visable), first aid pouch (under the glow stick: very vintage), my etool was on the other side, a radio bag that I made into a ammo pocuh for my thompson, some pants that look the part (my wools were in the wash, I had just worn this to school (minus the gun) for spirit week), some leggings, my tan colored shoes that sort-of look like roughouts, and of course the only gun with the orange tip still on it: the thompson!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You wash your wools? I've found even the washing machine will shrink them. You are best off visiting the dry cleaners. Even so, why wash them after going to school. I never wash mine! If you are going for the field trooper look, natural dirtiness is a Good thing. There is a lot of dirt in war. ;)

Recogged, what kind of basis are you working on, here? Are you a student barely surviving financially, independant filmmaker with a determined budget? What kind of location are you around? How old are you? Those kinds of things. I could give you the details to create a perfectly accurate flick, however it may cost you $10k. How much effort are you willing to expend? Not trying to be mean, just want to see how I can best help you out!

Time I posted more photos... Look it's Me!

And here I am again, with my victory wine!

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Mine are pre-shunk, and I wash them because I stick them in my closet and I don't want to stink it up, plus I want to preserve them for as long as possible.

And the german on the ground looks like some kind of zombie, lol.