Horrors of War - trailer/scene

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

We're going to AFM with Horrors of War in November. click here for the kick a** details
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Looking very good for you guys so far. Kudos on the news.

I suppose we all here get a free dvd, right? :D
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

It would make sence!
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Seems to me like this is your big break. Can't WAIT to see the final product.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yup! I can wait though, good things come to those who wait!
Sigs suck a**.
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

We've got a movie poster and we're having a blast. Looks like this movie is going to get some notice at the American Film Market next week!

ImageCLICK HERE to see the new HORRORS OF WAR movie poster full size

You can also see the scene in a much higher resolution Windows Media & Quicktime at

ImageHOLLYWOOD WIZARD, our producer's rep site
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Sounds great! The film sounds like it's really working out for you, congrats!
Sigs suck a**.
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

Okay, we finished a trailer for the AMERICAN FILM MARKET, but it's HEAVY on the SPOILERS!

CLICK HERE TO SEE a SPOILERIFIC Horrors of War Trailer!

I'm feeling pretty good about the movie now.

WARNING THIS TRAILER IS FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH SPOILERS!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Hollay! I really liked it, quite different from the previous stuff I've seen. I have to see this! Looks fantastic.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Awsome trailer! (Looks like a combination of Castle Wolfeistein and Prediator)
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

I think your movie looks really cool, i can't wait to see it
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

Thanks all.

We're hoping it helps us break through from DV shorts to more film features.
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

That looks amazing. When are you premering it, and where?
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Absolutely cheesy but beautiful! ;)

Certainly I expect this film could end up costing more to $20k by the time its all done, but if this has all been filmed in 35mm that would in itself (with laboratory costs for development etc) be er a miracle in itself.

In anycase sonnyboo I personally like it, it looks like a standard fare horror movie with a touch of class. The monster costumes while a little cliche'd are done very well.

I think in the end you may possibly end up with a product which is technically superior than it is creative (of course theres no way for us to know that till it's all seen!)

I like the costumes and the effects, the digital effects are for the most part effective, there are some parts however which are a little cheesy in their context (far and few between) and that was the B17 getting shot down and the guys just watching it (not ducking going "OMG") lol, be careful of the lucas school of effects use hehe ;)

Overall though looking good and ambitious, and without going into details infringing your sales & distribution contract lol, what kinda distrubution are we looking at?

Will it play maybe as a premiere in a film theatre? then be sold via DVD etc? Are they paying for the film to be certified by ur countries film classification? what about outside the USA and TV? etc

Good luck matie :)
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Hey nice movie. Awesome FX. Never seen such good special effects since Star Wars Revelations (Independent Starwars production). Congrats on your big break thus far. Seems much more expensive than just $600 haha. Loved the blanks. Mix of WWII and horror has been done before in games (Castle Wolfenstein), but not before on film. I sense a new genre-hybrid emerging. Are you looking to participate in film festivals or solely distribution?
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I've been waiting for forever, hurry up!
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

I just got back from AFM (The American Film Market) where we've sold additional DVD rights to other countries. As much as I'd like it, I don' t think this film will see the movie theatres even in a limited run. It's straight to video fare, and possibly TV. We're aiming at the SCI FI CHANNEL and hope to get on sometime in 2006, but it's not solid (IE no deal yet, but we are in talks directly with them). So to answer the question - I'd expect a DVD realease by mid yaer 2006 in the US and UK and on TV sometime in the fall on a cable TV channel or two.

Yes, I am also going to actively screen it at film festivals, comic book conventions, horror movie marathons, and sci fi events. I'm a geek and I go to these things and have screened short films in those venues. It's a great way to get a genre movie into the genre fans view.

We're gearing up for some other WEB CONTENT in the near future too... I'll be sure to start a new thread as that content comes out. I'm going to do some "MAKING OF's" that are also moviemaking tutorials. It's gonna kick a**.
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Certainly I expect this film could end up costing more to $20k by the time its all done
it was definately more than $20,000
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

you rich bastard lol. I'm defenatley below a 20K basis lol. Well i hope for the best and ill be sure to by the DVD!! :D :P
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

Let me asure you - I ain't rich... I've never been thi spoor in my life trying to get this movie finished. It's cost me 10 times more than I'll make.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Sonnyboo its commendable what your doing, I hope to be where your at perhaps next year hrmph (and yet im getting older all the time argh lol)

Can i ask, was the S16mm you filmed taken and ported over to Beta SP take so you could edit it from that? and with The EPL taken back for the lab etc to cut the film into shape? Or what was the process of you getting your rushes processed etc?

See I would love to use film but the cost is probably way beyond me, I am making my first feature called Deathsquad, and i have dozens of costumes (post apocalytpic war effort) but whats frustrating is the limited film formats at my disposal, i.e most probably DVCAM, any recommendations? Also keep us informed about the business side, its a vital lesson for all of us to hear of your experience, and thanx for sharing :)
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

I would be interested in knowing how you did the night shots. I need some tips on lighting. Maybe you should just start a tips forum :D lol.
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

We shot some 35mm, mostly Super 16, and even some Super 8 (flashbacks, D-Day, & dream sequence). We transferred to DigiBeta and simultaneously to DVCAM (big tapes with 4:2:2 compression instead of 4:1:1 of regular mini DV). We cut AVid (I learned Avid on this, formerly an Adobe Premiere Pro guy, and I didn;t evne go to Pro until someone on THIS forum taught me how to do a few things..).

The main reason for shooting HORRORS OF WAR on film is that it's a period piece and if a WWII movie was shot on video, the audience, even the most un-tech savy person on the planet would recognize something was ... off. Having just returned from the American Film MArket (aka the AFM), I can assure you it's a serious boon if your project originates on film as so few do that aren't top of the line. A celluloid originating feature is worth 10 times that of even an HD movie to buyers & distribution.

Film is not as expensive as you think. Especially today, deals are there to be had. With Film on it's final few legs, labs & sellers are giving away major discounts to keep people like you from going to DVCAM and HD. It's also a payout for later on (see above for sales).

AS for night shoots, see http://www.horrorsofwarmovie.com/behind.php for a clip on our lighting setup for a nightshoot in the middle of NO WHERE.

I also already have a tips forum on my own site for more specific Q&A...
http://www.sonnyboo.com/cgi-bin/ib219/ikonboard.cgi
But I don't like to pimp another forum here whenever possible.
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

JoBlo.comSays some really great things about Horrors of War!

"Think SAVING PRIVATE RYAN meets RE-ANIMATOR meets DOG SOLDIERS, i.e.- a buttload of fun and good times! How cool is that? And after checking out the trailer, I'm sold- this one is gonna blow the other DVD completely away!"

How's THAT for a kick a*** quote?