Bullet Wound to the Neck

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Bullet Wound to the Neck

Post by maj_barnes »

I just did this today (except for the drying). Anyways in my new WW2 short one of the characters gets shot in the neck like in BoB episode 6 (but in mine it's more to the side than in the middle). Here's some pictures then I'll tell you how I did it.
ImageImage
Also if you notice that white thing in the guys neck, that's the tube that pumped in blood.

Anyways, I first took a piece of paper and made it into a pool, I poured glue into it and let it dry. Once the surface of the "pool" was dry I ripped off any excess paper around the surface.

I then flipped the wound over and took my knife and began to scoop out a nice wound (you can't see the ripped up details too well in the photos but they were really popping out). Then I proceeded to pour my fake blood (clothing dye, color scarlet) onto the wound; since I used dye it tended to run off the paper and glue so I took dirt from outside and put some on the wound where I wanted the blood to be dark. Other textures were made from moss and pieces of grass roots.

The wound in the picture might of went in about a forth of an inch, the entire wound stands up about half an inch. The first picture is without the flash the other with. The paper is there to help not stain the concrete. You could also cut a hole through the glue and run a tube through it to pump out blood.

Tell me what you think!
cantoloupe

RE: Bullet Wound to the Neck

Post by cantoloupe »

nice, very life like (i think, wound-experts correct me if im wrong)

looks good, i might try that my self

ps: pretty high quality picture of the soldier, what camera do you use?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Thank you.

Also I may mash the wound down a little bit, it looks too high.

The picture of the soldier is from episode 6 of BoB, I guess they used some kind of camera that uses film so it looks really nice.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Looks Great!
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

They used a very expensive film camera for that shot. They also filmed almost all of Bastogne, Episode 6 in a very large studio. :)

It looks a bit lumpy, but it is probably smaller than it appears to be in the photos. Keep up the good work!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It looks a bit lumpy
That's why I'm going to mash it down some, it's also best if you keep it somewhat moist, it doesn't look good dryed up.

I'm also going to be making the wound a little wider.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

great, but I thinkyou should flaten a bit.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
Father_McGrueder

Post by Father_McGrueder »

Definately flatten it, or it shall appear to be protruding from his neck. Otherwise, bravo!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

That's why I'm going to mash it down some
I know!

Edit:
Okay I pushed it down to about half the length of a nickel.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

looks great, pretty darn real. if you wanna get super real you could even add some small tubing to make it look like an esophogaus or something that would be cool.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Father_McGrueder

How are you intended to pump blood from the wound? If I were you, I would tear a small section from the centre of the prothesis and imbed a bladder, of which I'm going to patronisingly explain the process:

Brush a thin film of latex onto a flat surface, ensuring that you attatch an inlet in the form of a small diameter tubing (usually 5-7mm). Place some cling wrap over the thin film and then brush another coat of latex on top (the cling wrap should prevent the two pieces from sticking together in the centre). You should be left a small, balloon-type device. Tear a few holes in the latex, which will allow the blood to flow out. This should be a more realistic 'seeping' effect, rather than simply pumping blood directly from a tube.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Love the BoB shot, the blood should be seeping like Grueder said.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I would do that, but I don't want to chance staining my uniforms; besides if I did I just have a tube with a funnel out of the shot and pour blood in for-

awhile. Beside I'm much too lazy to use anything besides household products and anything that takes more than four steps.
Father_McGrueder

Suit yourself. It was just a suggestion.

I wouldn't rely on simple gravity to pump blood though. I doubt you'd even see it on camera, assuming it came out at all.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It was a good suggestion, but I don't want the blood spraying everywhere like Kill Bill, but I'd rather have it just running out; at least that's what it looked like in BoB, but I could be wrong.
Father_McGrueder

A bladder is not intended to drastically increase the amout of blood which flows out (that is limited by the pump) but, rather, to give a more realistic looking flow. It will seep out, as if from inside the body, as opposed to a tube, which will appear external. Even if you attach a tube underneath, you will affect the thickness of the wound. It will not look real. With a bladder, the thickness will not increase and the blood will appear as if coming from inside the throat.

For examples of bladder use, try to see Reservoir Dogs, as the DVD contains alternate angles of the ear-cutting scene, in which a bladder was used to deliver the blood. Day of the Dead also features prominant bladder use, in a variety of bites and such.

Frankly, the Band of Brothers shot was ruined by that visible tube. Laziness is no excuse for a professional effects team.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

The tube underneath seems to work good if the wound on the side is cut out to acommadate it, then you could easily hide the tube with clothing (collar folded up at some point).

Besides:
I'm much too lazy
=JDL=

Re: Bullet Wound to the Neck

Post by =JDL= »

maj_barnes wrote: Anyways, I first took a piece of paper and made it into a pool, I poured glue into it and let it dry.
When you say "pool" do you mean kinda like a bowl?
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: Bullet Wound to the Neck

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, like a cup type deal. Best you make it shallow, look what happened to me!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

could u make a tutorial, this technique is great!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I guess, but you guys are lazyer than me. LEARN TO READ!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Tutorial? You are kidding, right? What do you think all these forums are for?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Making tutorials for me to make my life easier.
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

Theres no need of a tutorial though if what your doing is simple.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hah, what I was saying is, practically every thread is a tutorial if you read everything posted. It's not all social nonsense! Plus you have to spend time and figure things out. Going through life questioning everything won't help you in the long run. It's what makes this hobby so enthralling.