Arm shot test effect

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

joe

Arm shot test effect

Post by joe »

I just thought I'd share a test of an effect I was working on for a film I am currently working on entitled, "The Birth of a Hatred."

First off, I built a fake arm, then carved a hand and put them together. Here's the final effect. Any thougths are welcome. Thanks.

http://www.lemonus.com/armshot.wmv (real small, WMV)

Joe
Lemonus Productions
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

With quick cuts it would look better; as it is it looks like it's too light since it nearly floated to the ground. Add a couple weights and that should be taken care of.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I could barely see it, looked like the thing on the ground was a bone, pretty good though.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I' d have to agree with SgtPadrino with the quick cutting, You can actually see whatever it was that somebody threw to knock the arm off...and if thats a bullet that's one HUGE bullet.
joe

Post by joe »

A quicker cut could be beneficial in certain instances I think, but in this particular one, since the viewer has no previous information about what the target is, its better to have an extra 1/15 of a second to register an arm attached to a body. If there were more context to the scene, i.e. previous shots of man standing there, then I might could see a quicker cut. And, yes you can see the object, my laziness, in a real project, it would have been rotoscoped out. The weight of the arm is inconsequential since most of us don't know how heavy a forearm is or how quickly it would fall. Floating is a bit drastic I'd say. Thanks for the comments folks.

Joe
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

At first I thought it the skin was blown off and the bone hit the ground. But it did look pretty good. But, yea, I don't think a pistol could do that, lol.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

The I liked the blood effect, but the arm that broke off was just a little to stiff and bouncy for me to belive. The way it fell, it looked like the wrist would've bent over, and the forearm would've just flopped to the ground. Also, you have to find a better way to hide your vitims real arm rather than stuffing it in a shirt. I think I saw what you wanted to look like a section of bone coming out of the wound. Probably was used practically to hold the arm on untill it got a swift whack, but it looked nice.

And yea, that is one kick-a*** gun that can blow a mans arm in half
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

haha I like it. Needs a little work, but looks good to me. And no, a pistol wouldn't do that. But a high-powered rifle would!
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

The Jackal style, jack black gets his a** wuped by assasin bruce willis, crew for the Jackal did it well, take insparation from there
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
joe

Post by joe »

Also, you have to find a better way to hide your vitims real arm rather than stuffing it in a shirt.
The victims are wasn't stuffed into a shirt. You can't see it at all on the test. Right about the stiffness, but I wouldn't even worry about making another arm I don't think, just in a real project, cut away.
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

Looks awsome exept the gun. Use a shotgun or something. That would be more realistic.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

For some reason that kinda looks CG to me. You used a fake arm in this, Is that right?
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

"First off, I built a fake arm, then carved a hand and put them together"

Sometimes reading the first post of the thread helps :P
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

nah i just go for the link