Knife Throwing..

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

LucII

Knife Throwing..

Post by LucII »

Hey guys, been away for quite a while now, but now i need you to help me once again.

In my current movie, one of the characters is supposed to throw a knife at another character. How would i go about doing this? I want to show the knife rotating/spinning in the air, then hit. If you've seen Stargate SG1, there is an episode where Col.O'Neill throws a knife and it goes through the hand of some Goa'uld(cant remember his name) It's been some time since i saw the episode so i can't really remember the details really.

Do you think it's possible to have the knife already stuck to the actor, then animate a knife keyed out from for example an bluscreen, and super impoze the animation over some sort of a pan going towards the actor that is supposed to be hit, and just before the "Real" knife comes into frame, remove it?

Hmm.. a bit fuzzy there im afraid, hope you understand what i meant..

Good day to you all!
Superheroes and evil twins go together like peanut butter and......evil peanut butter!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Do you think it's possible to have the knife already stuck to the actor, then animate a knife keyed out from for example an bluscreen, and super impoze the animation over some sort of a pan going towards the actor that is supposed to be hit, and just before the "Real" knife comes into frame, remove it?

do that, split screen could work too, just be creative
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

you can green screen a knife being thrown then key it in.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Well, if you have two of the same knives, one already stuck into the hand. Throw the other one just past the guy who has it already in his hand, if you pan fast enough (still slow enough to catch a glimpse of the knife) then it should look okay.
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

DUDE....I know nothing about the knife, but stargate rocks.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

I never saw or followed Sg-1 but i like Atlantis, back to the point, is it an option to use a dummy and throw a real knife?
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
hmbtnguy

Post by hmbtnguy »

Is this basically the effect seen in house of flying daggers? cause I think a cg knife would work best, and then you can pan quickly so that your character is off frame to begin with and then on frame. And it focuses as soon as the characters hand is in frame. If you did it correctly and fast enough it should look very believable. I know my explanation was kinda convoluted so if you need any clarifiying just ask.
WeirdEars

Post by WeirdEars »

I did this effect in a film of mine recently. I did it the hard way, though...I had a knife handle and added the blade (picture in Photoshop) to the end of the knife in After Effects...It turned out alright...Well, it'll do...Using keyframes and clever shot cutting, you can just pull this off...
'Allo! It's me, The Head!

PLEASE RATE MY AVATAR!
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

dont use cgi just film a guy throwing a knife and spinning off screen then cut to a guy with a knife stuck in his chest add a sound effect and a quick motion so it looks like the knife has just hit him and the audience will be fooled