SKY FX EFFECT question

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Pubicface

SKY FX EFFECT question

Post by Pubicface »

Okay, I'm doing a short which involves a big FX ending. Problem is I have no clue how to go about pulling this effect off. The idea is this: a guy is running across a big field of grass at night. Then a shower of shooting stars starts passing across the sky.

I wanna have the camera following behind him as he runs and the stars start shooting. then they have to continue shooting after he stops running. and all the way to the end the movie. Thats like five stable shots from different angles.

I suppose I'll have to create the shooting stars with some sort of FX program to make em look the way I want. Ergo, I am asking for ideas.

ANY help with the would be apprecieted.
Pubicface

Post by Pubicface »

...okay, I'ma rephrase this. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED A !@@!!## SHOOTING STARS EFFECT!!! okay, mucho grassyass.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Spell check. The phrase isn't "mucho grassyass" it's "gracias". I'm only in first year spanish but from what i've learned so far the only phrase with mucho in it is "mucho gusto" which means nice to meet you. But now, onto the real question. I would use a 3d modeling program to create the shooting stars exactly as you want them, and then render them to solid background that you can lay over top of your footage. If you are using 3d Studio Max I would model one shooting star and then create a particle field. Then I would set up the field to use the model of the shooting star as the particles. This can take a long time to render but it's worth it if it turns out okay. Let me know how it works out.
Pubicface

Post by Pubicface »

Thanks for the FX tip. And by the way, I'm hispanic, so dont worry about how I spell when I type in spanish (I know its misspelled, because i wrote it like that on purpose. Got it?). anyway, thanks again.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Sorry about that, I didn't know.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

hey uhh all squabbling aside... dont speell check me either.

I think what you have to do is storyboard this scene so you know what you need to shoot.... shoot it in DAYTIME and then simply use techniques to make a day for night scene... with camera tracking and scene reconstruction you could easily alter the sky any way you wish. if you need more help just let us know.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

And don't ask a question like "What 3d program should I use?" because this topic would be a waste of time. Learn a 3d program, go to that programs forums and if you still havent learned it THEN ask us.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

it can be done in photoshop with imageready as well
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch