Filming your script

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dennismv

Filming your script

Post by dennismv »

I finished writing a script for a short movie and now I'm having some trouble with what to do next.

At this point I know the script well enough and have ideas on how things should look like in the finished product. But others don't.

So, I can probably get some actors or have an audition of some sort.
Once I'm done with that, we can all sit in a circle and read through the whole script to see how the characters interract.
Then we can start shooting, and I suppose I can tell and show the actors how I envision the scene. I guess I can't always get the exact scene that I envisioned, but I can try try to get as close as I can.
Then I could take a few good takes of every scene just in case, so that I'll have an easier time in post production in case I find out later that a scene wasn't good for some reason.

Then I load it all up, edit it, come up with the finished version, and then maybe I'm done.

Is this how it goes ? I suppose I'm going to hit some snags here and there, as I haven't done it before, but I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something important.
Last edited by dennismv on Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Filming your script

Post by maj_barnes »

Sounds alot better than what I do:

1.Write script
2.Steal actors
3.Give out script
4.Film
5.Edit
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Although not essential, you're leaving out shot lists and storyboards. Usually, I take some index cards and write out the shot/scene on the back, and draw out a picture of what I envision the scene as on the front. It helps get your message across, especially if you have other people controlling the camera as well as yourself.

But depending on how long your film is, maybe that's not needed.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

LOL you actually mean that your actors knwo the script before you start filming!!!! You're light years ahewad of me, i just write a script tell them what to say then do all the diting myself, no one has any ideas what the heck is going on!
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by maj_barnes »

crossfire wrote:LOL you actually mean that your actors knwo the script before you start filming!!!! You're light years ahewad of me, i just write a script tell them what to say then do all the diting myself, no one has any ideas what the heck is going on!
I only give out two scripts to a few people; paper costs money too!
dennismv

RE: Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by dennismv »

well, they don't know the script yet, but I think I'll give it to them to read it over.
I'll see what happens as I go along. If they want to just act, without not knowing the script, that's fine too, but they may want to know what they are getting into.
My script is not about 15 pages, so it won't be too long of a read.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Filming your script

Post by Raptor »

dennismv wrote:I finished writing a script for a short movie and now I'm having some trouble with what to do next.

At this point I know the script well enough and have ideas on how things should look like in the finished product. But others don't.

So, I can probably get some actors or have an audition of some sort.
Once I'm done with that, we can all sit in a circle and read through the whole script to see how the characters interract.
Then we can start shooting, and I suppose I can tell and show the actors how I envision the scene. I guess I can't always get the exact scene that I envisioned, but I can try try to get as close as I can.
Then I could take a few good takes of every scene just in case, so that I'll have an easier time in post production in case I find out later that a scene wasn't good for some reason.

Then I load it all up, edit it, come up with the finished version, and then maybe I'm done.

Is this how it goes ? I suppose I'm going to hit some snags here and there, as I haven't done it before, but I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something important.
Umm yeah, pretty much how it is done LOL, maybe a second or third read thru, 15 pages would take less than 20 minutes, work it till they get the characters consistent...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
theChad

Re: RE: Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by theChad »

dennismv wrote:well, they don't know the script yet, but I think I'll give it to them to read it over.
I'll see what happens as I go along. If they want to just act, without not knowing the script, that's fine too, but they may want to know what they are getting into.
My script is not about 15 pages, so it won't be too long of a read.
Man I used to let people do that, and the end product always made me mad because it wasn't up to par. Of course I'm an control freak so I like things done as I see them when I write em.

And don't forget to at least make yourself a shot list so when you go to film you aren't standing there going..."sooo..yeah...we could...maybe...shot this now? or...well...we could...you...well...okay...ummm....take five."
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
NPMAX

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by NPMAX »

You all forgot script revison,story boards, shot lists, casting calls, shooting schedules, handing out scripts so the actors can ACT and not read, location scouting and securing propsand locations. Then shooting, editing etc. It sounds that some of you by the ay you go about this attended the Bam Margera school of Directing, hey lets get my firens some booze and film cr**. Don't worry though Damon DAsh makes films that way as well, look at State Propert 1 &2 for examples.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

I get a feeling that you don't let the actors read the script, but give it to them scene by scene ~5 minutes prior to the shooting, so that they can act ? This doesn't sound right.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

my actors CANT act anyways, so whats the point of trying to get them to do better if they cant do it at all!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Hold on there, NPMAX. Casting calls would attract actors that assume they would be getting paid, which I doubt that dennis is ready to do, storyboards and shot lists are pretty much unneccessary if you're a half way competent cinematographer/director, and with location scouting/securing props and all that can be handled on a Saturday afternoon. Besides, unless guns are involved there's not much you have to do to secure a location, unless it's somewhere like a police station, where they would mind you having a camera in there. Unless of course dennis here is shooting on 35mm, which I somehow doubt ;)

And remember dennis, your actors don't need to know how you want the scene to look, just let them know the camera is pointed at them and have them act (more natural/realistic if they're not doing specific things that have no other purpose than to assist the shot.)
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

Ya know .. I had an experience yesterday: I went to my local school's video club to see how they were doing the shooting of the skit they wrote. That was my first time. They put me on the camera, as I had "camera experience". I was actually surprized that the first time they'd put me in control of one of the more important aspect, but I felt honered :)

The whole process was kinda out of whack, but we managed to make progress. The main person who wrote the script was late for more than an hour. During the whole shooting the actors sat around most of the time doing nothing. Much time was spent on getting the props from the office, or fiddling with sound connectors, or just fooling around. But we did do some shooting, which is cool.

When I first read about shot lists (npmax's post) I thought.. no way, that's too much. I'm not writing a Master's Thesis here. But now they actually make more sense. Perhaps they will put more structure in this otherwise haphazard process I witnessed. It will also be of guidance to a cameraman who's not intimately familiar with the script. And if I was to shoot, it will also give me a reference of what I want to shoot next, instead of going "um, well, now .. we do .. this shot ?" ...

As for actors, I probably could pay them something, but not much.
I have a general idea of how the film I want to make should look like, and I may be somewhat of a control freak when it comes to shooting. I have an idea of how actors should look like, and sound like, and approximately how they should act.

I don't know if I will get this, unless, perhaps, I'm willing to put more time/money/effort into the process. I guess I'll see what happens.

SgtPadrino, you sounded like if you do have a 35mm camera, police will be ok with having it there, but not a digital one ? And ya, I don't have a film camera.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

No, they do have a problem if you've got 35mm, because it's illegal to film in public places unless you've got a permit. With miniDV there's no law against it unless the scene involves gunplay.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I wonder what impact is digital having on that law? The new top of the range digital stills cameras are incredible.
Moderating behind the bushes!
NPMAX

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by NPMAX »

SgtPadrino wrote:Hold on there, NPMAX. Casting calls would attract actors that assume they would be getting paid, which I doubt that dennis is ready to do, storyboards and shot lists are pretty much unneccessary if you're a half way competent cinematographer/director, and with location scouting/securing props and all that can be handled on a Saturday afternoon. Besides, unless guns are involved there's not much you have to do to secure a location, unless it's somewhere like a police station, where they would mind you having a camera in there. Unless of course dennis here is shooting on 35mm, which I somehow doubt ;)

)
I know several directors that hold casting calls and actors show, actors don't get paid as they are serious actors trying to get their names out there, serious actors trying to break into the game will do a movie for free, make sure they sign a release is all, same goes for locations. I storyboard and make shot lists for everything I film aside from family functions or one of my kids B-days, I found this out the hard way when approached by a local band that wanted a to make a video but instead of them having me sit down and plan it out they just wanted me to walk around filming them for a week, their video turned out shitty because they didn't want to take the approximate 30 mins to map out a concept. If you guys want to do this stuff professionally which I semi do your best bet is to be as professional as possible on small projects that you are working on for yourself. In the end you'll get a better result it may take more time but you will be more satisfied in the long run and it can help you get places.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Filming your script

Post by crossfire »

it also depends on how long our movie is...
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

My script is curently 15 pages long, so I don't know .. 15-20 minutes ?
I'm having a few issues here though ..
* I don't have actors yet
* My local video club has 9 other projects before they even think about mine.
* I need camera operators

I think I'm shooting a bit too high here. I want it really well done, and currently I don't have the resources... and the people willing to do it. Someone suggested to me that I can film a "preview"-like for the actors. That will be a really short piece, that's just quickly telling the whole story, but without getting into any details.

Ok, thus it's a smaller project, but still the same problems. I want this preview done if not good, but fairly decent.

Sooo... did anyone ever have and overcome some issues like this ?
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

well don't you have any friends who are up for a laugh

you seem to be taking this rather serious, enjoy your experience, i doubt your going to earn money from it so do it for fun
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Um, if you're shooting miniDV, why on Earth would you need camera operators? Take the extra three minutes to figure out how they work, then you won't have to worry about communicating your vision to others. For actors just look around local drama clubs and ask people who you think might be interested.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

I always took my projects before I started making money serious, now i make moneydoing commercials and other film related things.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

I took some shots yesterday... and they are pretty bad .. They were too dark and everything moves very slow. I thought I could do better.

Friends ? what are those ? ha ha. One I know has excused himself completely from any aspect of production, and it's better that way. We would usually get at each other during shooting of anything.

I needed camera operators as in someone other than me to hold the camera when I'm in the shot. I think I'm ok with the camera, I know how to operate all the features, etc. I just need some people who are interested.

and ya, I'm not doing this for money ... I'll probably end up giving up money to hire some actors at a local club.
Hmm shooting good video is harder than I thought. And shooting bad video is even harder, as you have to do more fixes in post.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Dont keep the bad video reshoot it, you'll get more out of it by reshooting bad stuff than trying to fix it in post.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

Good advice about reshooting video.
Things go easier. thanks.
Last edited by dennismv on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

before doing a film try a docudrama or somthing.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!