Need Kung fu/Matrix Special FX ideas!!

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

moviemaster

Need Kung fu/Matrix Special FX ideas!!

Post by moviemaster »

Hey, i know a filmmaker should usually come up with his/her special FX ideas, but i am pressed for time and i desperately need help. I use AE and i want to make a short action/ kungfu film with lots of cool moves. any ideas?
Beyond Reality
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Need Kung fu/Matrix Special FX ideas!!

Post by crossfire »

if you know anyone who took Kungfu, or some martial arts ask them to show you moves, or watch movies to get ideas
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Do a bunch of fight stuff and make it slow mo, and add ghost trails to give it the bullet time effect.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

*Dry Reaching*
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Catscratch44

Post by Catscratch44 »

This site has a ton of great fight moves and things http://www.nccinema.ch/etut.html
"A morning without coffee is like sleep."
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

you know, matrix is an amazing movie. why? because it was original. I hate how every1 tries to copy everything about it. be inspired by the movie, don't just copy it. come up with your own style, watch martial arts videos and competitons, or take classes, or find a friend, blend techniques, invent style. do something original. it will be a lot better than trying to pull off something that has alrady been done so perfectly.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

dont watch other kung fu movies dont watch anything just think up what would be cool... use the environment alot like jump back off walls to kick people in the face and stuff that would be sweet. find objects around you like chairs or whatever to use as weapons.

the old kick something off the ground and kick it at the bad guy could always be good just i dunno get drunk and think of cool stuff it always works.

and if your gonna watch anything watch heaps of manga and anime ... such hot a** movment in those things try and emulate that it would be really cool.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

yea, i was just saying watch martial arts comps and stuff if he has no experience with martial arts. yes, utilizing the environment is also good, but you have to remember one thing that i see overlooked way too often. WILL THIS MOVE ACTUALLY HURT OR PUSH SOMEONE BACK?? i see people do the wierdest kicks that would have absolutely no power, and it happens to throw the other person back. also, if you do a hook kick for example, make sure he falls in the direction of the kick, and doesnt just fly back. (unless of course you are doing a crouching tiger, matrix, or some other effect where the laws of physics can be broken, otherwise it just looks amateur and fake. hope this helps.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Why don't you just, you know, take some time and think of ideas yourself. Hope you don't grow up to be one of those producers who doesn't take time and make remakes all his life.
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

i think you should just have a normal fight, with as much basic punches and kicks as possible. Just the most basic thing you can do....then use tricky angles, slowmotion, ghost trails, lots of subtle sound effects, take something very simple and do something to it that just makes your audience go "WHOA" and you'll have a cool fight scene.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

yea, thats what i'm getting at. just keep it simple and real. and don't say "how do i make it look like this movie did" say "how can i make this good"
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Um, watch kung fu and matrix movies?
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

eww stop saying ghost trails and matrix its making me sick lol