First saber test(advice needed)

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

saber-boy

First saber test(advice needed)

Post by saber-boy »

this is my first saber test so any advice on how to make it look better welcome
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.php?id=2L0KF ... 6AOW1HJI80
BostonGreg

RE: First saber test(advice needed)

Post by BostonGreg »

hey saber, nice clip. u may want to extent the blades a smidge and bring the cmera back a few feet to add quality to the blades. good sounds. also, practice the coreography a bit first so the actors can get into it and show some emotion other than the "what is my next move" face. good work man..

greg
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig. - The Good The Bad And The Ugly
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: First saber test(advice needed)

Post by DEDFX »

When I download it it just opens up notepad and shows a bunch of weird lettering.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

i thought it was gonna do the same for me. but i had it open it in windows media player, and it worked fine. even tho it saved it as a .txt file....strange...looks good though, i agree with bostongreg, extend the blades, and get a wider angle. other than that, good job.
saber-boy

Post by saber-boy »

thanks for the advice i'll post my full dule when i'm done it's about 7 minutes,
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

round out the ends a bit along with what has been previously said and it will look great.
saber-boy

Post by saber-boy »

thanks this really helps so thanks
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

it looks like all the rest ive seen... howabout doing something different for a change... its like going to the movies to watch the same thing over and over ive seen so many lightsabers that im pretty sure any 8 year old can do it
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

aaronv2 wrote:it looks like all the rest ive seen... howabout doing something different for a change... its like going to the movies to watch the same thing over and over ive seen so many lightsabers that im pretty sure any 8 year old can do it
Ouch, Snnnnnap. :cry:
Ewwwww....... is that a bit of Covenant on my helmet?
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

Ok, I just saw it. And it was good but the ends need to be a bit more pointy then it would be ok. :)

Edit: If you dont know what I mean by that just look at the new movies there lightsabers have a triangle tip instead of the old rounded one.
Last edited by Spartan_Monkey on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
saber-boy

Post by saber-boy »

aaronv2 wrote:it looks like all the rest ive seen... howabout doing something different for a change... its like going to the movies to watch the same thing over and over ive seen so many lightsabers that im pretty sure any 8 year old can do it
well my 7 minute dule is going to be a bit diffrent because it's going to be set on a diffrent planet so different scenery theres dialogue and a 4 bladed lightsaber

thanks for the help Spartan_Monkey
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

:)
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

ooooo different planet... i hope there isnt lava and anakin gets all burned and stuff... oh wait that was a different 7 minute duel... much like the one on that other planet naboo or something... or was that in the death star? i cant remember anymore... and dialogue in fight scenes always come out corny... im sorry this isnt a stab at you its just people ask how to do an effect hope for a 10 minute solution and then companies develop alamdv so you can create really shitty effects in five minutes. its just taking all the creativity and effort out of a medium that should be fun and hard work at the same time.

you know how to do muzzle flashes rite?
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It's still not working for me, even when I try to open it in quicktime it opens up notepad.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

hey what else can you do to it? what can you do different
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

wow that aaron kid is kind of a negative bitc*. seriously go someplace else with your negativity. so what people gotta start somewhere, and maybe lightsabers work for them. i suggest you contribute a little more towards the forum rather than dragging it down.

by the way saber-boy, you've got a great start and i hope you continue to work on it. i'd really like to see the four bladed saber.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

DEDFX wrote:It's still not working for me, even when I try to open it in quicktime it opens up notepad.
It's a WMV, so try opening it in WMP, and see if that works...
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

Carnage7p wrote:wow that aaron kid is kind of a negative bitc*. seriously go someplace else with your negativity. so what people gotta start somewhere, and maybe lightsabers work for them. i suggest you contribute a little more towards the forum rather than dragging it down.
I totaly agree with Carnage7p, this aint the first post were you've flamed someone for asking somthing.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Carnage7p wrote:wow that aaron kid is kind of a negative bitc*. seriously go someplace else with your negativity. so what people gotta start somewhere, and maybe lightsabers work for them. i suggest you contribute a little more towards the forum rather than dragging it down.

by the way saber-boy, you've got a great start and i hope you continue to work on it. i'd really like to see the four bladed saber.
you can't do anything new with lightsabers thats why its so bad for beginners... it doesn't provide them with any creativity or the latteral thinking that makes a good visual effects artist a diamond in the rough because he (or she whops) can work on getting the effect better than the previz and cheaper too...

look you can take my "negativity" any way you want but try to imagine me as a school teacher. Some student comes to me with a class project made of cardboard glue and glitter (lightsabers) i give him a smiley face and a C then some kid does something outrageously creative.

What am i supposed to do tell the A++ kid his work is just as good as glue and glitter?

no way you gotta tell it like it is... this is the real world. if you put a 7 min lightsaber battle on a showreel the guy watching it is gonna throw up burn it then wash his eyes out.

there just lame its like drawing stick figures in art class.

(enough metaphors for everyone?)

and my contribution to the forum? take a look around... i only contribute to posts that are worthwhile. I mean your on the right track in regards to beginners starting somewhere but could't they begin with a little creative thinking first? Does every thread on this forum have to be about muzzle flashes lightsabers and bullet time?

Im not flaming its just harsh crit... im not going to sit here and praise a kid that might be capable of way better work it will just keep him at the same threshold thinking it is good enough. All im doing is trying to get more out of the artists just starting out. Welcome to the real world. If this forum is just for "WOW!!! how did you do that? That's the best thing ive ever seen." replies then maybe im in the wrong forum. You guys are pathetic if what you think im doing is wrong.
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

Ok Ok I understand were your coming from, I thought you were just plain flamaing the poor dude. But now that you think about it if there were no "negative" comments this place would be pretty boring. Anyway dont worry about it. :D

Be original saber_boy you retared. Just kiddin :D
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

im not here to blame people for bad work... all i do around here is help you people and im really happy to do it. as long as you come with some challenges. "how do i make my lightsabers look better" isnt a challenge and im not saying this only about you guys either... have you seen an original movie lately? there pretty much all remakes stolen from books or really bad stories anyway. you gotta be the best you can be or else you will only gross about 30 million lol... imagine if you made a sweet movie and grossed 100 million but im just dreaming maybe
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
saber-boy

Post by saber-boy »

aaronv2 wrote:ooooo different planet... i hope there isnt lava and anakin gets all burned and stuff... oh wait that was a different 7 minute duel... much like the one on that other planet naboo or something... or was that in the death star? i cant remember anymore... and dialogue in fight scenes always come out corny... im sorry this isnt a stab at you its just people ask how to do an effect hope for a 10 minute solution and then companies develop alamdv so you can create really shitty effects in five minutes. its just taking all the creativity and effort out of a medium that should be fun and hard work at the same time.

you know how to do muzzle flashes rite?
yep i can do muzzel flashes,i've also done explsions and that flame on thingy effect from f4
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

poor dogs :P