slates/shooting

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

TGW28

slates/shooting

Post by TGW28 »

Hello- I have a few questions:

1. When do you tailslate? At the end of each and every take? Every shot?

- What would be the shot #- the shot that is in the storyboards/shooting script, or the 1st,2nd,3rd..etc. shot in the scene. In other words, how would you write the shot # if it's footage you just thought up to shoot at the last second- or do you write it at all?

2. How would you set up multiple cameras (2-3) to cover a big action sequence (similar to the end battle in LOTR: The Fellowship) in order to cover shots in your storyboard plus a bunch of other inserts/cutaways?

3. Typically you shoot a master, then move in for full shots, mids, CUs--closer coverage, but where would be the most effeicient placement to shoot crane shots/ dolly shots, etc.?

- also, in the FOTR (end battle) the fight moved everywhere in the forrest. What would the master shot be? My guess is that they split the fight into all the different "locations" at shot the coverage for each new one.

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry for all the Q's :oops: -- I'd really like to know.
TGW28

Post by TGW28 »

Does anyone have any answers?
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Im not too familiar with tailslating, but my guess is that you do it after every shot. If it's footage you just thought up, yes you do write it. Since, if you are using a slate, which probably means more than one camera, you should be organized, meaning you have a shot list, storyboards, script, there with you.

Put the cameras wherever you want, just make sure you never see them in any of the shots. I know for Lord Of The Rings, they shot most of the close-ups seperate, if thats what your asking.

You don't need a master, unless you want to obey all the hollywood rules. You can put crane and dolly shots wherever you want, there is no rule. Crane shots generally work well coming in or out of shots, and dolly shots work well when subject is moving.

Who said every films scene has a master shot? I have no clue of what it was in Fellowship Of The Ring, so just watch the extended version and find out.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

You seem to be trying too hard to follow the rules. While they are important to know, they should be seen more as "guidelines" rather than "rules." They are not meant to be interpretted word for word. Try to find your own style, and experiment until you find what you like. Pay close attention to the flow and continuity of a scene. If you experience something first hand, it will always be better than reading something here.
Erm... yeah...