Digital Blood (HERE!)

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Like someone said, it would be much easier to control, instead of using a squib or weedsprayer on set.
Sometimes doing it digitaly can sometimes be easier and it's really just a matter of prefrence.
What type of player or update to VLC (I have a mac, please don't start that battle) should I download to view it?
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I am reading a bunch of posts about everyone thinking they are the expert in blood and none of you know what you are talking about.

There is no one right method.
Grant

Post by Grant »

exactly depends on the situation, your knowledge, means available etc. There are many ways down the path
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

Personally, I appreciate that Maj barnes is trying to make a digital blood splatter for those of us that would like to do digital blood, and I think that since we are all filmmakers here, we should try to work TOGETHER to achieve the best results we can. And if he animates a better, more realistic looking blood splatter, I plan on using it(assuming he's ok with that). I appreciate your work, Maj, don't stop just because some people don't agree with you.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

DEDFX wrote:"Whats the creativity in hooking a tube to a weedsprayer and pulling a trigger?" -Time and dedication. You buy materials, mix karo syrup, food coloring then ask yourself how powerful you want the squirt.
That's not being creative, that's called work! Besides, instead of all that mixing just get scarlet clothing dye; it looks much better. Sorry, couldn't help it.

But yea, don't criticize the method, criticize the work!

Also, it's okay to use the blood, that's why I posted it! :wink:

And if anyone noticed, I used my stolen Die Hard blood for the splatter. :)
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

I have a 3d blood splatter that works pretty well. I could post it. Made it in 3ds max and put it on a green screen then keyed it out. after tweaking and color correcting and blurs it came out nicely.
post if you want me to put it on here I dont have a place to store it :)
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

i am on the anti digital blood crew. realism is all that matters in this world. and i can tell you one thing, it is not convincing for a second. now if you arent really serious about your work, i would completely understand why you would want to use digital blood. However, if you want your films to look as professional as possible then come up with another creative way. don't like the weedsprayer? then grow some brains and think of a better way to do it.

and whoever said why not do digital, because everything is these days. that is completely rediculous. most of the time things are digital because they can't be done in our physical world (like x-wings etc)

by the way if you really want to add blood in digitally then don't use animated blood, at least make some stock footage of real liquid so that it acts similarly to light, gravity, and ITS MOLECULAR STRUCTURE!

ok i am done ranting.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

i believe maj barnes mentioned earlier why he is using digital blood in this case. He probably didnt want to cut a whole into and then spray blood out of an expensive army unfiorm staining it, and making it useless. Enough with the ranting and bitching, there are times when digital blood is just necessary. I prefer real blood, but like i said before, having someone get hit with a machine gun that cuts 8 holes into them would be painstaking and uneccessary to do with a pump or weedsprayer and would end up looking pretty fake, probably more so than a quick shot of digital blood.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Carnage7p wrote:i am on the anti digital blood crew. realism is all that matters in this world. and i can tell you one thing, it is not convincing for a second. now if you arent really serious about your work, i would completely understand why you would want to use digital blood. However, if you want your films to look as professional as possible then come up with another creative way. don't like the weedsprayer? then grow some brains and think of a better way to do it.

and whoever said why not do digital, because everything is these days. that is completely rediculous. most of the time things are digital because they can't be done in our physical world (like x-wings etc)

by the way if you really want to add blood in digitally then don't use animated blood, at least make some stock footage of real liquid so that it acts similarly to light, gravity, and ITS MOLECULAR STRUCTURE!

ok i am done ranting.
I suppose Kill Bill isn't a professional film, then.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

[quote] i am on the anti digital blood crew. realism is all that matters in this world. and i can tell you one thing, it is not convincing for a second. now if you arent really serious about your work, i would completely understand why you would want to use digital blood. However, if you want your films to look as professional as possible then come up with another creative way. don't like the weedsprayer? then grow some brains and think of a better way to do it.

and whoever said why not do digital, because everything is these days. that is completely rediculous. most of the time things are digital because they can't be done in our physical world (like x-wings etc) [quote]

What about SPR; do you know how much digital blood they used in that?

Yea, and even just the jacket for the uniform is alot:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=90513
but this one is a little much. Maybe around 50 something.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Digital blood can result in some very convincing shots with an astonishing level of control over the result, but you have to have dedication and skill to pull it off. And by the way, if you're worried about getting the costumes dirty, a war film is not for you.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Grant

Post by Grant »

In Irréversible the digital blood is very convincing and so was the digital penis
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

maj_barnes wrote:...even just the jacket for the uniform is alot:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=90513
but this one is a little much. Maybe around 50 something.
That's pretty cheap for one. It's a cheap foreign made one! :D Plus, they don't know what they are talking about. It's a reproduction of the second pattern M-41 field jacket, not a Parson's jacket.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

UFProductions wrote:Digital blood can result in some very convincing shots with an astonishing level of control over the result, but you have to have dedication and skill to pull it off. And by the way, if you're worried about getting the costumes dirty, a war film is not for you.
I'm not worried about getting the costumes dirty, I'm worried about staining them.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Still, you simply can't make a war film without risking the props, it will look too forced. If they get all dirty and stained up it's all for the better, and unless the film starts with them having just been issued uniforms they should already be mighty filthy. If you've got a mud caked, blood stained uniform I think the best thing to do would be to put it in one of those big frames meant for sports jerseys and put it up on the wall, people pay big bucks online for things like that from real movies, and though yours won't have any real monetary value it will have sentimental value.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

hey choose they way u wanna do it and please quit whining. I choose squibs and air compressor vs. digital but digi is good for extras getting mowed down and you can set up multiple squibs and air compressors sets !!!!!!!!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I understand getting them dirty, but I still need to use them for other projects. Each project may need a different need.

Besides, I don't think alot of soldiers had random blood stains on their uniforms.
hmbtnguy

Post by hmbtnguy »

Looks alright for a far shot. But I would make the blood more random and more defined. By defined I mean more like liquid and less like mist. Think of a dark ketchupy look with shine but also very dark.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

hmbtnguy wrote:Think of a dark ketchupy look with shine but also very dark.
NO, NO! Don't say anything about the color!

I would make it more liquidy, but I just painted frame by frame in Photoshop, I just wanted a quick solution. I'll put more thought into the next one, whenever I feel like doing it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I wonder if Germany still has the blood color ban... at one point everything in videogames and the like had to have Green blood.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

LMAO, its obviously blood so what's the point in making it green blood. I'd rather just have no blood if it was green.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

That WAS the point. So that is wasn't realistic. I'm not exactly sure what the intentions were, trying to make games and media less violent/gory? :?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by maj_barnes »

maj_barnes wrote:I made the blood as bright as possible (but it still is kinda dark), so you could make it as bright or as dark as possible.

Just complain about everything besides the shade, and speed please!
The no, no part I got from Family Guy.
Epsilon wrote: So that is wasn't realistic.
That's almost as bad as me. :D
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Re: Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by Epsilon »

As bad as you? I missed one letter. :P
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by maj_barnes »