Molotov Cocktail

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

XhuntedoverlordX

Molotov Cocktail

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Hey everyone, for my next movie I need to make molotov cocktails. The only problem is that I don't want to use real gasoline. Gasoline has that special look to it, does anyone know a recipe to recreate that look? Thanks.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Molotov Cocktail

Post by Epsilon »

Um molotov cocktails can use alcohol. It burns more clear. But other than that, there really isn't a way to make and use a fake gasoline safely.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Try acetone (nail polish remover) or kerosene. They will both burn dirty like gasoline. If you're looking for better safety use an alcohol like Epsilon said, or white gas. (Camp stove fuel.)
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Plus it's not the burning of the fuel that is hard to replicate. It's the smash, BOOM!
xander-prd

Post by xander-prd »

wot u cud do, is download the arnachist cookbook, then like put a partition in a bottle, in the bottom bit put something like alcohol or something that burs and tape the touch explosives(from the anarchist cookbook) to the bottle, then soak a rag in gasoline and stuff it in the top partition light and lob, you'll get the dirty flame and the explosion - but safely =)
[url=http://www.jowka.com][b]Jowka-Dot-Com[/b][/url]
[b]JOWKA[/b]
xander-prd

Post by xander-prd »

wot u cud do, is download the arnachist cookbook, then like put a partition in a bottle, in the bottom bit put something like alcohol or something that burs and tape the touch explosives(from the anarchist cookbook) to the bottle, then soak a rag in gasoline and stuff it in the top partition light and lob, you'll get the dirty flame and the explosion - but safely =)
[b]JOWKA[/b]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Safely? Are you nuts? That's a real molotov cocktail!
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I think anything from the anarchists cookbook is very unsave. Also, Alcohol and Aceton are not as save as gasoline since evapoating alcohol and aceton is highly flammable, may be ignited even by a cigarette. Gasoline isn't, you can dop a cigarette into a pot full of gasoline, it's save. (well, it will burn when there's a flame or spark, of course :) )

BTW for not-so-unsave Pyro FX you may use a Fire Box. This is a box made of a material that won't burn and that's painted black inside. The box needs to have the shape of the room the fire should be mixed in. Now you film the fire in the black box, then mix it with the oringial scene, so it will look like there's a fire in the room. Don't do this inside a building, BTW :) .

If you want absolutely save Molotov Cocktails , use CG!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Gasoline fumes are just as flammable and explosive as acetone or isopropyl fumes. In fact isopropyl alcohol does not have flammable vapour unless it is heated. Dropping a cigarette into gasoline isn't safe, you're confusing it with diesel fuel, which is very hard to ignite unless it's compressed.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

I don't really want it to explode like a real molotov cocktail. I just want something that looks like gasoline when I pour it in the bottle. For explosions i'm going to throw the bottle and then CG the explosion. I figured that would be the safest way.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

then just use any colored liquid.

UFP - A few days ago they made some expreiments in a science tv show and they tried several things with cigarettes: fuel, diesel and ethanol (that is pure alcohol). The ethanol was the only one that worked. They also said in hollywood productions ethanol is used for those "cig ignites gasoline" scenes because gasoline wouldn't work.

Pure Alcolhol evaporates very quickly, therefore there ARE fumes. This evaporating behaviour is also utilized as a cooling reaction.

But I agree, it may be not really save, and you really shouldn't try it.
camiziodeltoro

Post by camiziodeltoro »

CGI explosions and fire never look good. the real thing can' t be beat.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah we all should know by now that with petrol it is the fumes that are volatile
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Ethanol will burn like that, but it is not pure alcohol, there are many different types of alcohol (and you can never get it 100% pure). Isypropyl alcohol will not burn that easily, it's fumes are not flammable, unless it is pre-heated to the point where it vapourizes. That's why it is used commonly in marine stoves, it has a very high flash point and is easily extinguished with water. You are completly correct about the ethanol, that s*** burns real good. (Sambuca anyone?)
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

That's what they said in the tv show, and they also demonstrated it. the guy said the boiling point (so to say) of ethanol is around room temperature and this was the reason why it works. Also I have bought 1 Litre Ethanol lately and the guy in the drugstore said this was pure (96%) Alcohol, with the Addition of something that makes you vomit when you drink it, just to make sure people will pay the Alcohol Taxes when drinking Alcolhol.

Anyway, you may be right, there may be diffrent kinds of "alcohol".
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yup, any hydrocarbon with a hydroxyl (OH-) group bonded to it is a member of the alcohol family. Drinking alcohol (ethanol) is just the most common, therefore it it usually just called alcohol. The reason you can't have 100% pure ethanol (or anyn other alcohol for that matter) is that it will spontaneously undergo an elimination reaction, converting a portion of it to water. I just finished organic chemistry in school, this s*** is practically spilling out of my ears! :D
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
SammyJim

Post by SammyJim »

dunno, but u could fill a bottle wit alcohol and put paper at the top, set it alight and throw it at the ground then the fire will go with the drink and it will go woosh, i think.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

That's still a real molotov cocktail... he doesn't want to use real fuels!
xander-prd

Post by xander-prd »

Okay, so maybe it wasnt safe - but at least it wouldav been on film! and that wudda been goood :P
[b]JOWKA[/b]
montezumas_revenge

Re: RE: Molotov Cocktail

Post by montezumas_revenge »

jcdenton wrote:I think anything from the anarchists cookbook is very unsave. Also, Alcohol and Aceton are not as save as gasoline since evapoating alcohol and aceton is highly flammable, may be ignited even by a cigarette. Gasoline isn't, you can dop a cigarette into a pot full of gasoline, it's save. (well, it will burn when there's a flame or spark, of course :) )

BTW for not-so-unsave Pyro FX you may use a Fire Box. This is a box made of a material that won't burn and that's painted black inside. The box needs to have the shape of the room the fire should be mixed in. Now you film the fire in the black box, then mix it with the oringial scene, so it will look like there's a fire in the room. Don't do this inside a building, BTW :) .

If you want absolutely save Molotov Cocktails , use CG!
Its not called the pussys ccookbook? of course the stuff is unsafe but i mean just find area wheres there nothing that would catch on fire and toss it bring along a couple fire extinguishers aswell incase it spreads.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Re: RE: Molotov Cocktail

Post by Epsilon »

Catch on fire... fire is the least of your worries... what about blowing your limbs off? :|
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

"I just want something that looks like gasoline when I pour it in the bottle"

so you just want something that looks realistic to fill it with.... well.. have you ever seen the little similarity between gasoline and water? ;)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If you want to get the same nasious feelng too, just use rubbing alcohol!
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

eh molotovs dont really EXPLODE!! like a grenade or anything...trust me... .. ....

If you just want liquid that looks like gas just make some koolaid (pink and orange should do the trick)

Beyond that

the only way to really have that molotov effect is to light s*** on fire

CG flames are for people with small penises that want to make cheesy effects

I dont understand the purpose of using anything other than gasoline, as long as its not sitting out in the sun for hours on end its pretty safe. I live out in the boondocks and we burn s*** with gasoline all the time.

Heres what I recommend

Dont actually make a molotov, this can throw gas in an unpredictable way. You should do a few quick cuts of the bottle flying through the air (with said koolaid mixture), MAYBE an "explosion" but thats not too bright, maybe some reaction shots with sound effects, then pour gas where you want it to burn and light it for a seperate shot.

At least that way you know where the flames will be, the only hting you would need to worry about is what you are catching on fire.

For gods sake hhave a fire extinguisher ready

and try to keep a professional atmosphere on set whilst filming such scenes

and s*** shouldn't go sour.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Last time I checked gasoline was clear... if all you want is the liquid, just use water.