Highlighting one object for color in black in white !!

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Directordude

Highlighting one object for color in black in white !!

Post by Directordude »

Ok so i am thinking of some Ideas for a film. I want to take the film in B&W and higlight certain things. express artistry and so on and so forth. Schindlers list or perhaps more recently Robert Rodriguez's SIN CITY. IF any one can show me an effective and realistic way to do this I would be greatly indebted...not really.

just want to isolate certain parts of a fram as color and rest B&W.

Please help
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Highlighting one object for color in black in white !!

Post by BrownCowStudios »

You can mask frame-by-frame, or you can follow that tutorial (Wrigley Video?).

The easiest method will be to shoot the scene with special care taken to make sure that the color of the object you want to highlight is the only object of that color within the frame. If so, then in After Effects (or any other program) you can adjust the saturation of that color, while leaving the rest of the image black and white. Hopefully that makes sense.
Last edited by BrownCowStudios on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erm... yeah...
XeFx309

Post by XeFx309 »

You could use the color pass filter in Premiere.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

hmmm i dont think u get what I mean. this link will explain a little better. http://www.ezlightweb.de/images/wps/102 ... vies12.jpg everything is black and white and I nees to make just one person or object on the person colored.

any ideas now
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

No, we understand exactly what you're talking about. Our advice still stands.
Erm... yeah...
Directordude

Re: RE: Highlighting one object for color in black in white

Post by Directordude »

BrownCowStudios wrote:You can mask frame-by-frame, or you can follow that tutorial (Wrigley Video?).
whats this tutorial?

also what if its just a single person or object.....not any particular color just an object.......i might check it out on dvd to see if rodriguez describes how he did it
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: Highlighting one object for color in black in wh

Right, I'm talking about just a single person/object. Of course, it would work for anything of that color within the frame. My advice, however, specifically states that you must take special care to ensure that the color of the object should be the only example of that color within the frame. That way, when you desaturate everything except that color, the object will remain saturated, thus eliminating the need to resort to complex masking, etc.

The tutorial I referred to is here: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutori ... orpass.htm
Erm... yeah...
Directordude

RE: Re: RE: Highlighting one object for color in black in wh

Post by Directordude »

ahhh yes that helps quite a bit for wha I desire to do. IS there a way to do this in After Effects so I can have more control :twisted: !!! I appreciate your help. this is working quite well.

Directordude
MasterMike

Post by MasterMike »

Use an animated mask in After Effects.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

explain mastert mike i can do a mask but thatll take forever
:( quick and less time and more results
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

there isnt always a "quick and less time and more results" method. Sometimes the slow method is the only one...

Now I've never tried to do what you're asking, but from my knowledge of the Adobe programs, what the others have explained to you should work. If you havent already, try it. You might find an easy way by messing around with it...
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

yeah very true sometimes the long way is the...well the only way I know this but wanted to see if anyone knew :) thanks
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

If you want it to go fast, have the camera on a tripod, and the object still. Then keyframe the mask in, in after effects.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Directordude wrote:yeah very true sometimes the long way is the...well the only way I know this but wanted to see if anyone knew :) thanks
No problem. and if you come across some "quick and easy" tutorial, or something you stumble into yourself, lemme know, I might be interested in trying it...
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

You could film the person against a green screen and film the background seperatly, and desaturate which ever one you want. The Sin City DVD doesn't explain it very well, but the Making of book might.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

there was a topic explaining how to get a good desaturated effect, and the effect made reds stand out major while everythign else almost black and white, here it is http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... light=film
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Its called the Pleasantville effect made popular by the movie with the same name... my suggestion is if your just doing it for clothes like shindlers list did then use a bright colored clothes and use a garbage matte around your subject and then use the color pass or theres some filter in AE that does it too... the garbage matte just prevents other stuff in the frame showing color too you will need another layer of your footage desaturated
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

If your using Final Cut Pro, you could use Isolate Color filter, and mask the area around the object.

Here are some photos I made using this effect (downloads to computer)
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

the ducks feet looked cool
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I like to call it the Schindler's List effect, but whatever.

Here's something: does anyone know how to have a person in regular color, and change the background color?
Jowka

Post by Jowka »

greenscreen

VEERRRRYYYY time consuming masking. . . .

lob grey paint over the set :D
[url]http://www.jowka.com[/url]
Join Jowka now!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

A person did it in my class, and it wasn't greenscreen or anything. And I was wondering how he did it. He just showed any background and changed the color.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

you could film a clean backplate then use a motion key generating program ala "Mokey" to generate a matte from the person moving in the static scene... however simple camera moves are also able to generate mattes for moving objects also... it could be easily done... ill take a stab if you want i have a project that might be able to use it lol
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
iffertizzle

Post by iffertizzle »

If you have After Effects Pro 6.5 then it is really simple. Just plan your scene out so that the color you want to leave is the only one there, this filter does it by hue so the color red on a person will come out bad. In AE just go to the stylize effects and choose "leave color" and apply and change the RGB to HUE in the drop down box and mess around with the settings.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Where can you get Mokey?

I'd love to see an example, it's all good.