Real M16 flash

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

shawneous

Real M16 flash

Post by shawneous »

I know you guys are always talking about putting in fake flash. So I got for you a picture of me firing a real M16 today using live ammo with a wickedly real flash coming out. Mind you it is bigger because my buddy took the flash suppressor off. But this the real deal, no photoshop or AE here and real hot lead was being thrown out full auto downrange. If you look closely at the edge of the flame you can see the spent brass flying out. On a side note, that's a 50 round beta mag I've got on it. Go to my site to see an MP5 and UZI being shot.
http://www.nelsonentertainment.com
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Real M16 flash

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea but doesn't it come out like a burst and then turn into a ball not just appear as a ball of fire?

I wouldn't know, all the guns I fired always had flash suppressers, expect pistols.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Real M16 flash

Post by windog »

the suppreser would keep the flash at bay. funny really, if we saw that in a film we would say unreal.....
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

you should have video taped it! Take your gun, do a couple different angles with blue screen behind it and post it. Some of us would love to mask off some of those flashes and use then on our films. The most realistic stuff is the real stuff.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

crb wrote:you should have video taped it! Take your gun, do a couple different angles with blue screen behind it and post it. Some of us would love to mask off some of those flashes and use then on our films. The most realistic stuff is the real stuff.
heck yea it is! if that would be at all possible, that would be awesome! and yea, that is a pretty wicked still. thanks shawneous
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

You claim to be a film maker, Why carry a still camera?!!

crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I would possibly even look into buying some stock footage of some of the machine guns being fired off (but they'd have to have blue screen behind them so I can capture it easier). Shoot I'd like some stock footage of a berreta being fired off too!
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Nice one. Isn't that a 223 rem.? Here you see how important it is to make sure the contours of the filre ball burst or whatever will be smoothly blended with the background. If you are using a 2D app like photoshop or the gimp, use the eraser tool on the outline with someting like 20%.

What country do you live in that allows to own full auto guns like an Uzi?
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

uh I see one guy of your team has a degree of the Oregon State University, so I guess you're in that region.

Anyway, do you have any experience with microphones and real gun shooting, especially in indoor shooting ranges? I still try to find out if there's a risk of physicly damaging the microphone.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

dont double post. use the edit feature please

Bugalicious

Post by Bugalicious »

windog wrote:You claim to be a film maker, Why carry a still camera?!!
maybe he had his on the charger or outta tape or something
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

what did it cost you to go to a weapons training place?
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

jcdenton wrote:Anyway, do you have any experience with microphones and real gun shooting, especially in indoor shooting ranges? I still try to find out if there's a risk of physicly damaging the microphone.
Can't you just buy a bad/old microphone and try it out? The really cheap crappy ones are only like $4 or something...
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

get a simple camera mic.
The really cheap
ones are only like $4 or something...

Bugalicious

Post by Bugalicious »

windog wrote:get a simple camera mic.
The really cheap
ones are only like $4 or something...
was there any real point to that post?
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Sorry for the double post here, dunno why it happened--my post is below.
Last edited by OutcastJiob on Thu May 19, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

And windog goes around accusing other people of spamming. . . .

That M16 flash is awesome! I'll join in with everyone else: any chance you can get video?
jcdenton wrote:Here you see how important it is to make sure the contours of the filre ball burst or whatever will be smoothly blended with the background. If you are using a 2D app like photoshop or the gimp, use the eraser tool on the outline with someting like 20%
Yep, exactly. Lots of fading on the edges, be it with eraser or a blur or a combination of the two.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

not to sound stupid but when you guys quote people but never actaully write anything with those quotes that leaves me going, "wha---t?"
shawneous

Post by shawneous »

Okay, let me see if I can reply to everyone here.
-Yes, I do have video of me shooting it. I'll try to upload some. It's just me firing it there at the range so you won't be able to key off it but you could get a much better idea of how it looks. I've thought about shooting in front of a black screen for chroma replacement.
-The gun is not mine, it's owned by a buddy and its a 223 AR-15. We both live in the state of Oregon where full auto machine guns are legal to own if you go through the paper work and pay the NFA tax. God bless America! USA! USA! oh, anyhow..
-I am a filmmaker, I own a very nice still camera because it's an essential part of the toolkit, dumb*ss :-)
-To everyone who inquired about mics...my on camera mic of my Vx2000 handeled it fine. Don't buy a cheap mic! Just use your good mic and adjust the levels accordingly. For my last movie I recorded live shotgun blasts (which are louder than machine guns by the way) using a very nice Sennheiser ME67 shotgun mic and it handled it fine, you just keep the mic at least 10 feet away. (or 3m )
-It didn't cost me anything except the cost of my ammo to do this.
-Random note: I now know why flash suppresors are so important...this flash you see here is rather blinding whilst shooting. For real purposes, I'd much prefer no flash so I could properly site.
http://www.nelsonentertainment.com
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

how much a 10 shots of ammo? and where did you go? I could use something like this in my film!

jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Thanks for the Mic info - so it's the distance that can kill a Mic - makes sense. Yes, Flash suppressors. Some guy told me his .50 BMG Rifle without suppressor used to burn his hair when the wind was blowing in the opposite direction :)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: RE: Real M16 flash

Post by Epsilon »

windog wrote:the suppreser would keep the flash at bay. funny really, if we saw that in a film we would say unreal.....
Of course. We are used to seeing a suppresed flash. :lol: